Windsor Tweed Suit

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Post Reply
Grok
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 2366
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:21 am

Re: Windsor Tweed Suit

Post by Grok »

Uncle Al wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:54 pm

Now, offer the "Windsor Tweed Suit" with an A-Line skirt or, for
that matter, a kilt, then it will get a MAJOR :thumleft: from me :D

Just my $.02 worth ;)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :santa: :mrgreen:
It may be that several different skirt designs will work well as part of skirt suits.

(I think that a pegged skirt could work well).

As for suits with kilts, these-in effect-already exist.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 861
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:03 pm

Re: Windsor Tweed Suit

Post by Dust »

Grok wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:51 pm
...

As for suits with kilts, these-in effect-already exist.
But are exceedingly rare. I've seen exactly one vendor selling men's kilt suits with the jacket and kilt from the same fabric.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 3286
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:01 pm
Location: North East Scotland.

Re: Windsor Tweed Suit

Post by STEVIE »

Dust wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:28 am
But are exceedingly rare. I've seen exactly one vendor selling men's kilt suits with the jacket and kilt from the same fabric.
Hi Dust
This is correct really because of what I said earlier. The Kilt purists would not approve and there are are lots of them around.
However, if you have enough cash to spare any kiltmaker/tailor would make such a suit in any fabric you wish.
Would the source you mentioned be 21st Century Kilts as I know they have done in the past?
I reckon the cost would be eye watering though.
Steve.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1610
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:03 am
Location: West Midlands, England, UK

Re: Windsor Tweed Suit

Post by Ray »

I’ve got one. About £1500 ($2,000) for a three piece.

It’s bloody worth it though. What an amazing suit. The trouser seat doesn’t wear out either…;-)
Dust
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 861
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:03 pm

Re: Windsor Tweed Suit

Post by Dust »

STEVIE wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:42 am
Dust wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:28 am
But are exceedingly rare. I've seen exactly one vendor selling men's kilt suits with the jacket and kilt from the same fabric.
Hi Dust
This is correct really because of what I said earlier. The Kilt purists would not approve and there are are lots of them around.
However, if you have enough cash to spare any kiltmaker/tailor would make such a suit in any fabric you wish.
Would the source you mentioned be 21st Century Kilts as I know they have done in the past?
I reckon the cost would be eye watering though.
Steve.
Yeah, that's the one. I've long thought getting one of their kilt suits would be awesome, but they want to you to visit in person and the cost even without travel to the UK would make it something not worth it, at least for me. I just looked them up again, and it appears their prices (on the few items they even list a price for - 800 pound and up for just a kilt) are even higher than I remembered from a few years back. Eye watering is right.

Here's the website if anyone is curious:

http://21stcenturykilts.com/
Ray wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:14 pm
I’ve got one. About £1500 ($2,000) for a three piece.

It’s bloody worth it though. What an amazing suit. The trouser seat doesn’t wear out either…;-)
Two grand! Well, I imagine that's not out of line for a bespoke suit. I don't generally buy anything like that, however. Glad to hear it's quality is there. Nothing worse than sinking a bunch of money on something that is a treat yourself or splurge purchase, and then getting burnt with disappointing quality.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 593
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:16 pm

Re: Windsor Tweed Suit

Post by renesm1 »

Dust wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:59 am
STEVIE wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:42 am
Dust wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:28 am
But are exceedingly rare. I've seen exactly one vendor selling men's kilt suits with the jacket and kilt from the same fabric.
Hi Dust
This is correct really because of what I said earlier. The Kilt purists would not approve and there are are lots of them around.
However, if you have enough cash to spare any kiltmaker/tailor would make such a suit in any fabric you wish.
Would the source you mentioned be 21st Century Kilts as I know they have done in the past?
I reckon the cost would be eye watering though.
Steve.
Yeah, that's the one. I've long thought getting one of their kilt suits would be awesome, but they want to you to visit in person and the cost even without travel to the UK would make it something not worth it, at least for me. I just looked them up again, and it appears their prices (on the few items they even list a price for - 800 pound and up for just a kilt) are even higher than I remembered from a few years back. Eye watering is right.

Here's the website if anyone is curious:

http://21stcenturykilts.com/
Ray wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:14 pm
I’ve got one. About £1500 ($2,000) for a three piece.

It’s bloody worth it though. What an amazing suit. The trouser seat doesn’t wear out either…;-)
Two grand! Well, I imagine that's not out of line for a bespoke suit. I don't generally buy anything like that, however. Glad to hear it's quality is there. Nothing worse than sinking a bunch of money on something that is a treat yourself or splurge purchase, and then getting burnt with disappointing quality.
I also have two 21st Century Kilts. Eye-wateringly expensive but the suits will outlast me!!!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 3286
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:01 pm
Location: North East Scotland.

Re: Windsor Tweed Suit

Post by STEVIE »

renesm1 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:02 am
Eye-wateringly expensive but the suits will outlast me!!!
Hi Renesm1
I guess you could be interred in it.
Joking aside, is it really better to buy a single expensive garment as opposed to a variety of economy versions?
I am thinking about everyday wear and variety being the spice of life too.
Oh to have an unlimited wardrobe budget but hey ho.
Steve.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1610
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:03 am
Location: West Midlands, England, UK

Re: Windsor Tweed Suit

Post by Ray »

Stevie,

Yes. It’s way better for the environment, for one. Clothing kills the environment. Cheap fast fashion is abhorrent to me.

It also fits and looks better.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 593
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:16 pm

Re: Windsor Tweed Suit

Post by renesm1 »

Ray wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:47 am
Stevie,

Yes. It’s way better for the environment, for one. Clothing kills the environment. Cheap fast fashion is abhorrent to me.

It also fits and looks better.
Fast fashion is definitely killing the planet. If everyone wore clothes out or repaired them, it would be a help! Also, buying from charity shops is great for the environment, as I'm sure some of you know already!!!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 3286
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:01 pm
Location: North East Scotland.

Re: Windsor Tweed Suit

Post by STEVIE »

renesm1 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:51 am
Fast fashion is definitely killing the planet. If everyone wore clothes out or repaired them, it would be a help! Also, buying from charity shops is great for the environment, as I'm sure some of you know already!!!
While I don't disagree with this Renesm1, I see a world of difference between a suit from 21C Kilts and say, a responsibly produced garment from a reputable retailer. I guess it also depends on exactly how we define "fast fashion" but that takes us into another realm.
The cafe is a perilous place to make comments at times.
The most innocuous and innocent can open cans of worms in uncountable numbers.
In terms of the original thread, I reckon something akin to the "Windsor suit" could be produced at a much more affordable price than anything from 21C.
Steve.
Project 2022 perhaps?
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 490
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:47 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Windsor Tweed Suit

Post by FranTastic444 »

Mark - I saw your pics on Instagram from the Liberty Hotel in Boston. It's a place my wife and I frequent when we are in town.

As I've posted on here before, I'm a great fan of the short jacket and I have a plan to experiment with Bolero jackets or similarly cut knitwear as soon as I can improve (reduce) my weight:height ratio (hopefully without chopping limbs :pig: ). It is one of those looks that maybe doesn't work so well if you are carrying weight - makes it look like you are bursting out of the garment, I fear.
User avatar
Mark as in Mark
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:32 pm

Re: Windsor Tweed Suit

Post by Mark as in Mark »

Kirbstone wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:18 pm
Agreed,
I'd ditch the skyscraper pumps.

Tom
those are my small heels Louboutin Kate 90
I was told I have balls for wearing skirts! My reply? "That's because balls this big won't fit in pants!"

https://www.pinterest.de/Mark_as_in_Mark/me/
https://www.instagram.com/markbryan911/
User avatar
Mark as in Mark
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:32 pm

Re: Windsor Tweed Suit

Post by Mark as in Mark »

In the DFW airport on my way to Boston on the 1st January. This time with a tie and no hat
These pumps 10cm and are higher than the pumps in first set of photos that were 9cm. Also a lighter shade of brown.
.
2.JPG
.
1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I was told I have balls for wearing skirts! My reply? "That's because balls this big won't fit in pants!"

https://www.pinterest.de/Mark_as_in_Mark/me/
https://www.instagram.com/markbryan911/
Ray
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1610
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:03 am
Location: West Midlands, England, UK

Re: Windsor Tweed Suit

Post by Ray »

Really smart. I love this look.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 658
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:33 pm

Re: Windsor Tweed Suit

Post by new2skirts »

renesm1 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:02 am
Dust wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:59 am
STEVIE wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:42 am


Hi Dust
This is correct really because of what I said earlier. The Kilt purists would not approve and there are are lots of them around.
However, if you have enough cash to spare any kiltmaker/tailor would make such a suit in any fabric you wish.
Would the source you mentioned be 21st Century Kilts as I know they have done in the past?
I reckon the cost would be eye watering though.
Steve.
Yeah, that's the one. I've long thought getting one of their kilt suits would be awesome, but they want to you to visit in person and the cost even without travel to the UK would make it something not worth it, at least for me. I just looked them up again, and it appears their prices (on the few items they even list a price for - 800 pound and up for just a kilt) are even higher than I remembered from a few years back. Eye watering is right.

Here's the website if anyone is curious:

http://21stcenturykilts.com/
Ray wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:14 pm
I’ve got one. About £1500 ($2,000) for a three piece.

It’s bloody worth it though. What an amazing suit. The trouser seat doesn’t wear out either…;-)
Two grand! Well, I imagine that's not out of line for a bespoke suit. I don't generally buy anything like that, however. Glad to hear it's quality is there. Nothing worse than sinking a bunch of money on something that is a treat yourself or splurge purchase, and then getting burnt with disappointing quality.
I also have two 21st Century Kilts. Eye-wateringly expensive but the suits will outlast me!!!
I have been very fortunate to acquire a 21st Century Kilts suit in black off ebay! The prices are high but most kilt suits start at £800 to £1300, as each are made to wearer's measurements. I have just had another kilt suit made which should arrive in about 8 weeks. Mark's outfit is timeless, I wouldn't change a thing! I love the tweed, the cut and the colour. The length of the jacket gives the outfit a slight masculine edge, the cut of the skirt is perfect. I think an A Line may have made the outfit a little more fem, especially with the heels. I would have worn boots with a chunky heel, but Mark loves his stillettos :mrgreen:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Post Reply