Windsor Tweed Suit

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Windsor Tweed Suit

Post by Dust »

new2skirts wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:03 am I have been very fortunate to acquire a 21st Century Kilts suit in black off ebay! The prices are high but most kilt suits start at £800 to £1300, as each are made to wearer's measurements. I have just had another kilt suit made which should arrive in about 8 weeks.
Getting one off eBay is quite the find! I'll have to start looking. Not sure why I hadn't thought of that before.
new2skirts wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:03 am Mark's outfit is timeless, I wouldn't change a thing! I love the tweed, the cut and the colour. The length of the jacket gives the outfit a slight masculine edge, the cut of the skirt is perfect. I think an A Line may have made the outfit a little more fem, especially with the heels. I would have worn boots with a chunky heel, but Mark loves his stillettos :mrgreen:
The skirt cut does work very well on a man. Straight, but not too tight, can present as masculine rather well, especially at knee length.

I'd love to to see how this pairs with a few different types of boots. Flat out heeled knee boots, or maybe the right heeled ankle boot could work very well with this. I don't think you could make this outfit work very well with men's shoe styles or flats, however.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

This gentleman is rocking his outfit, just remove the sporran and its an A line skirt suit. If you are on Facebook the picture can be enlarged from the SGA page.
tweed kilt suit.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Bodycon wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:24 pm This gentleman is rocking his outfit, just remove the sporran and its an A line skirt suit.
Hi Bodycon
I could not agree more and he is even thwarting the Tartan Fascists,
There is no Clan Hogg, the tartan was registered in 2008 so as good an example of make believe one can get.
In those terms the tweed is both appropriate and correct.
Never mind Windsor, we could title this creation "The Glamis Suit" (pronounced glams for non Scots)
Actually sounds right and the material is irrelevant anyway.
I wonder who made it though, any kiltmaker would have the same capability?
Steve.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Bodycon wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:24 pm This gentleman is rocking his outfit, just remove the sporran and its an A line skirt suit. If you are on Facebook the picture can be enlarged from the SGA page.
tweed kilt suit.jpg
That looks just like mine! I've always loved a kilt suit, just a shame they're so damn expensive :roll: Even most quality hand made kilts start at £450 upwards. They last for years though.

I like Mark's interpretation of the tweed suit though. I have a couple of tweed pencil skirts, the warmest things for winter :wink:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

new2skirts wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:26 am I like Mark's interpretation of the tweed suit though.
Hi NTS
The Windsor is a smart suit, that I will grant you.
However, would you compare it to a kilt suit like the one that Bodycon posted.
There is a world of difference in the making of the types of skirts and that would have to be reflected in the cost.
It really isn't about Mark's interpretation of the design as I am sure he would likely agree.
In a nutshell they are actually wholly different products, each with their own pros and cons.
Steve.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:57 pm In a nutshell they are actually wholly different products, each with their own pros and cons.
Hmm, not sure they are that different when you just look at them, though the models' body shapes are very different, which has an impact.

You could swap the skirts (and replace the kilt with simple A line) between outfits easily enough. I would actually go further and say that you could wear (pretty much) any style of skirt from maxi to mini with both top halves as long as you proportioned your look in your head and mirror. And you could of course have the outfits with several styles of trouser too, though 1980's football short style, would probably be looked down on, but hey, maybe that's the future. :lol:
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Valid enough points Bodycon except for the "skirts".
Sure, we know it is a skirt suit by any other name but does our worthy ghillie see it that way?
In this respect, the Kilt and the Skirt do make for different products and of course, attitude.
I'm also sure that it wasn't likely to have been sold to him in those terms either which brings me to another point,
That suit could have been produced by any Highland outfitter/tailor but not every one of those would be so willing to make something like the Windsor Suit. I guess it would depend on how much they needed the cash. Depending on the actual location, I'd also guess that they'd not publicise it either.
21C probably would but the cost would be 22C or Porsche levels.
Steve.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:57 pm
new2skirts wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:26 am I like Mark's interpretation of the tweed suit though.
Hi NTS
The Windsor is a smart suit, that I will grant you.
However, would you compare it to a kilt suit like the one that Bodycon posted.
There is a world of difference in the making of the types of skirts and that would have to be reflected in the cost.
It really isn't about Mark's interpretation of the design as I am sure he would likely agree.
In a nutshell they are actually wholly different products, each with their own pros and cons.
Steve.
Hi Steve, I wouldn't go as far as to compare Mark's suit to a kilt suit - most kilt wearers (who are determined it's not called a skirt) may take umbrage to a man wearing a "Saxon Jacket" (kilt wearers call it that as trouser suit jackets are generally longer) teamed with matching ladies' pencil skirt. They are wholly different products, as the kilt is generally tailor made for each wearer. (I have a kilt suit being made which will take 9 weeks) Mark can buy his skirt off-the-peg, then go to the men's section and find a matching jacket depending on tweed colour picked.

Pro's of a men's kilt suit : all know it's menswear, although kilts aren't too common.
Cons: can be hot in summer, managing a heavyweight kilt with lots of pleats can be a nightmare

I do like Mark's suit but would change the colour... perhaps a maroon colour for me :)
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:17 pm Sure, we know it is a skirt suit by any other name but does our worthy ghillie see it that way?
He is entitled to think what he likes, but so are others and who cares anyway? Take off the sporran and the appearance at a distance is an A line skirt, get closer and you will begin to see a kilt. The difference in the skirt style is just that the closer you get to Mark's outfit, the more you realise it IS a skirt, but if you liked it from a distance, why should your mind be changed by getting closer? Unless you have been indoctrinated....

To reference new2skirts' reply - The "Kilt thing" is really just an excuse (or a safety net) for wearing a skirt and we all know it; but most won't say it. If it looks good and is comfortable enough it doesn't matter what you call it or believe it to be, it just is. If someone needs to hide behind a name, then carry on, whatever gets you through the day.... Labels, Fashion, Peer Pressure etc. round and round we go.

A made to measure Windsor suit and a made to measure Kilt suit would be similar in price, with the skirt slightly cheaper, as there is less material / work involved. Jacket and waistcoat would be the same. Off the shelf skirts sometimes have "thunder thighs" for men to contend with, so an off the shelf Windsor skirt could end up more expensive as it may need seams and the waistband altering.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

new2skirts wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:29 pm Pro's of a men's kilt suit : all know it's menswear, although kilts aren't too common.
Cons: can be hot in summer, managing a heavyweight kilt with lots of pleats can be a nightmare
NTS
Please take note of my location, it may surprise you to learn that I am actually familiar with all the b*******t that is spouted about kilts.
The Saxon Jacket reference would appear to be another example but actually a new one on me. Just bear in mind that the modern kilt has no real traditional standing. Most of what we hold as deeply Scots is a Victorian money spinning piece of c***p.
Simply, do as you please with it, but believe me, it is just an expensive skirt. Waste of money as far as I am concerned.
Bodycon wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:13 pm A made to measure Windsor suit and a made to measure Kilt suit would be similar in price, with the skirt slightly cheaper, as there is less material / work involved. Jacket and waistcoat would be the same. Off the shelf skirts sometimes have "thunder thighs" for men to contend with, so an off the shelf Windsor skirt could end up more expensive as it may need seams and the waistband altering.
......and neither are very likely to create an improvement in fashion freedom for us blokes.

Steve.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:30 pm
new2skirts wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:29 pm Pro's of a men's kilt suit : all know it's menswear, although kilts aren't too common.
NTS
Please take note of my location, it may surprise you to learn that I am actually familiar with all the b*******t that is spouted about kilts.
The Saxon Jacket reference would appear to be another example but actually a new one on me. Just bear in mind that the modern kilt has no real traditional standing. Most of what we hold as deeply Scots is a Victorian money spinning piece of c***p.
Simply, do as you please with it, but believe me, it is just an expensive skirt. Waste of money as far as I am concerned.
Bodycon wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:13 pm A made to measure Windsor suit and a made to measure Kilt suit would be similar in price, with the skirt slightly cheaper, as there is less material / work involved. Jacket and waistcoat would be the same. Off the shelf skirts sometimes have "thunder thighs" for men to contend with, so an off the shelf Windsor skirt could end up more expensive as it may need seams and the waistband altering.
......and neither are very likely to create an improvement in fashion freedom for us blokes.

Steve.
True, kilts are very expensive (even the badly made budget ones are £50) and I suspect Mark now has a team of people who can source these skirts and have them altered at will. I think the key is creating your own fashion freedom rather than waiting on any sort of societal shift. Some may not like the wardrobe I have but I dress for me and get out there.

I find pencil skirts very comfortable, and that's my choice. Either denim or normal corporate wear. Kilts are more of a Special Occasion thing (such as for Burns Night tomorrow).

I think there is more acceptance (or at least a more not bothered reaction rather than outright hostility) as people acknowledge those of us who are more flamboyant 8)
Mark as in Mark
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mark as in Mark »

new2skirts wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:40 pm ) and I suspect Mark now has a team of people who can source these skirts and have them altered at will.
That\s funny! A team? I only have had my men's suit pants altered into skirts and the jackets given a more hour glass shape at the waist. Other than that I still wear off the shelf stuff.
I was told I have balls for wearing skirts! My reply? "That's because balls this big won't fit in pants!"

https://www.pinterest.de/Mark_as_in_Mark/me/
https://www.instagram.com/markbryan911/
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Mark as in Mark wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:50 pm
new2skirts wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:40 pm ) and I suspect Mark now has a team of people who can source these skirts and have them altered at will.
That\s funny! A team? I only have had my men's suit pants altered into skirts and the jackets given a more hour glass shape at the waist. Other than that I still wear off the shelf stuff.
Lol just kidding... I usually find plenty of skirts that fit. Super jealous of that tweed suit though, it fits so well 😍
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Here is a cheaper option.
The jacket looks like a nice material containing linen. I would have been tempted if the top was a 12 or 14, the skirt was a 10 or 12 and the skirt was better matched material.
https://picclick.com.au/Howard-Showers- ... 65471.html
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Somehow, they don't thrill me. The colour is a bit nondescript and the materials don't match. They would have been better sold as separates.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.