Windsor Tweed Suit

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Windsor Tweed Suit

Post by Kirbstone »

Agreed,
I'd ditch the skyscraper pumps, recut the skirt to at least A-line, shorten the jacket and put on a tie. I'd keep the cap, though.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Bodycon wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:50 am Lets be straight about things: There are no rules, wear what you like, what you think looks good, or gives the impression you want to portray (including ripped jeans or nearly non-existent outfits). Don't listen to those who want to assert (covertly or otherwise) their rules and to an extent prejudice. Experiment, make mistakes, find a style of your own.
Now let's return to Mark's suit in the context of Bodycon's statement.
I'll say first that, with certain changes, colour, skirt and footwear, I'd wear it easily.
The look, I'd say is quite conservative and very British county set.
As for tradition, rules or convention, they are a long way behind in the rear view mirror.
The typical wearer of the style would simply not let the possibility surface in their minds.
Man and skirt does not equate but here we have, actual proof that it does.
In fact, fundamentally, if Mark "conformed", we wouldn't be having this debate,
In most of our countries/cultures, conformity means men in trousers so actually, none of us would be here.
Some folks consider me damn weird and I kind of like that, I spent too long being their "normal" for my own good.
Steve.
KiltedintheValley

Post by KiltedintheValley »

Mark, as always, you look amazing. You are such an inspiration to me.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
"Be weird. Be random. Be who you are, because you never know who would love the person you hide." - Alan Watts

Life is too short to talk yourself out of wearing what you want because “I can’t pull off that look”.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Mark as in Mark wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:14 pm Ive had a chance to talk to several brands designers during the last few months with discussions being about the Hybrid suit.

Seems like a majority here think that the jacket/coat is too long when wearing a skirt. This is because that is what you are use to seeing with skirts! The ladies jackets are always shorter due to women typically having wider hips than men. I'm told so that the jacket is designed to fit above the hips. Longer jackets on mots women would flair out and look like a bell above the skirt. Most men don't have that problem. So in my discussion with these designers we are always looking the traditional length for the men's jackets or coats.
A shorter jacket would tend to emphasize the skirt, which might work well if that is what you want to do. (We needn't limit ourselves by the designs of traditional trouser style suits).

BTW, I think that a well designed jacket would include good pockets. Indeed, that might be one of the main reasons for wearing a jacket, besides the formal appearance.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

crfriend wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:56 pm Overthinking things is a common-enough vice and is the major reason why I advocate for every man to figure out his own style and aesthetic based on what he feels looks good on him. What works on Mark might not work on me (or vice-versa) -- and that's fine. Thank goodness that there really are no "rules" at the moment that we need to feel bound by; simply putting both legs down one pipe is such a game-changer that all the other bits go over the side all at once.
As skirts are a radical game changer, we might consider other changes. Considering the images posted by Mark as in Mark-the outfit looked good without the jacket, but with the waistcoat adding a touch of formality. I don't know of a term to designate a suit that is deemed complete with a waistcoat but no jacket. But with the addition of neckwear the jacket less outfit can look even more formal.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Bodycon wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:14 pm
Velma's outfit breaks the apparent ratio rules, but she has worn it successfully since 1969....
I always liked Velma’s outfit and would happily wear something similar.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Mark as in Mark wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:14 pm Ive had a chance to talk to several brands designers during the last few months with discussions being about the Hybrid suit.

Seems like a majority here think that the jacket/coat is too long when wearing a skirt. This is because that is what you are use to seeing with skirts! The ladies jackets are always shorter due to women typically having wider hips than men. I'm told so that the jacket is designed to fit above the hips. Longer jackets on mots women would flair out and look like a bell above the skirt. Most men don't have that problem. So in my discussion with these designers we are always looking the traditional length for the men's jackets or coats.
Hi Mark
I don't wish to seem pedantic but are we in market research mode for a commercial venture with this thread?
I for one, would be well interested in how you view the potential trade and profit for men's skirts.
Happy New Year when it comes too.
Steve.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:45 am ...are we in market research mode for a commercial venture with this thread?
Love the innocence of the idea that someone could try to take market research from this forum.

Skirt
Too long, too short, right length. Right shape, wrong shape. Right colour, wrong colour....

Jacket
Too long, right length. Right shape, wrong shape. Right colour, wrong colour....

Waistcoat
Yes, no....

Heels
Too high, wrong colour, just right....

The myriad of opinions reflect the immense diversity of style and taste here, which is brilliant, however it is impossible to please all. Anyone looking to venture into manufacturing would either have to cover all bases (think M&S numbers of items / range) or concentrate on a very small niche style / made to order. Both options are costly and risky for such a tiny percentage of the male population being your target market.

Actually, the technology already exists to set up a laser scanner on a person (whatever gender) creating a point cloud, adapt a chosen pattern from your catalogue to their unique dimensions and taste and have it 3d displayed for approval. It is then manufactured somewhere in the far east and sent to their door. No odd hip / thigh / waist dims to worry about from off the shelf clothes. Then add 3D printed textiles...

Would I wear Marks outfit? Yes, happy with everything apart from the heels, I would probably wear brogues or similar shoes.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Suggestion for those who would design a skirt suit for men....

Assume that the man will wear a kilt jacket. Try various skirts in combination with the jacket

Or, to put it another way, what-besides a kilt-would look good with a kilt jacket?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Grok wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:11 pm Suggestion for those who would design a skirt suit for men....
Do not make any assumptions about anything.
In terms of Kilts and Jackets Grok, there is the Prince Charlie, The Argyll, Doublet and others.
They are all "deemed" suitable according to occasion and or the time of day.
"Rules" are nothing, this one can be a veritable minefield.
Steve.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Bodycon wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:14 pm Love the innocence of the idea that someone could try to take market research from this forum.
Hi BodyCon
I'm not sure that the cafe has had an "influencer"/patron before and I find motivation intriguing.
I am perfectly aware that we have been openly canvassed in the past and I don't doubt that it has happened covertly too.
I reckon this thread lies somewhere in between, hence the question which seems reasonable.
Steve.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:35 pm I reckon this thread lies somewhere in between, hence the question which seems reasonable.
You misunderstand; I was referring to the numerous and wildly varying answers that come with every question on preferred style, not whether someone was or should be asking for research.

Market research generally results in a consensus of opinion, the only consensus here is that consensus on the outfit doesn't exist. :lol:
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:19 pm [
Do not make any assumptions about anything.
In terms of Kilts and Jackets Grok, there is the Prince Charlie, The Argyll, Doublet and others.
They are all "deemed" suitable according to occasion and or the time of day.
"Rules" are nothing, this one can be a veritable minefield.
Steve.
I should have elaborated. My point is that if someone is looking for a shorter jacket, there are a few variants that are commercially available. As for rules, I don't know of any concerning the wearing of such with non-kilt designs.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Grok wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:25 pm As for rules, I don't know of any concerning the wearing of such with non-kilt designs.
Hi Grok,
You are right, there really are no rules in any real sense.
A previous cafe patron stated that he regularly wore a kilt jacket and skirt but no photos.
We make light of the so called "kilt police" but there are some out there who take the plaid thing rather too seriously.
These folks would go nuts at the idea of wrong jacket and accessories at any given time. Our absent friend would not have been in favour.
Kilts and their wear are just as subject to the whims of commercial fashion as all clothes are.
Simply easier to please yourself.
Steve.