Windsor Tweed Suit

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Windsor Tweed Suit

Post by Ray »

Not sure I’d go for that. Looks like you found it in a dustbin.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I agree. Suit it is not, nice looking it is not either, but perhaps it might be more appealing it it were 'distressed', i.e, a tear here and there and a BanTheBomb logo on the jacket.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Kirbstone wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:10 am I agree. Suit it is not, nice looking it is not either, but perhaps it might be more appealing it it were 'distressed', i.e, a tear here and there and a BanTheBomb logo on the jacket.

Tom
Is this what you had in mind? Sadly BanTheBomb logos are collector items now.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

That just looks tatty, grubby and unkempt. I would never wear clothing in such condition.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

denimini wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:12 am Here is a cheaper option.
The jacket looks like a nice material containing linen. I would have been tempted if the top was a 12 or 14, the skirt was a 10 or 12 and the skirt was better matched material.
Unless I am much mistaken, the humour appears to have been lost on some of our esteemed patrons.
One cannot argue that is not a "cheaper" option to the Windsor or The Kilt Suit, anything else is academic.
I reckon that I could have more fun in that than the others too.
Steve.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Ray wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:57 am That just looks tatty, grubby and unkempt. I would never wear clothing in such condition.
I think it would be fine for pruning the bramble bushes.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Jim wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:05 pm I think it would be fine for pruning the bramble bushes.
Actually Jim, the Windsor might be better, tweeds were designed to be thorn proof.
Steve.
Last edited by Uncle Al on Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quoting format
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Fair point, Jim. For domestic use only. How about that? ;-)
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I've been wrestling with the jacket length problem. I recently had a tweed jacket shortened to match the length of my Scottish kilt jacket, but it still feels quite long compared to some of the formal kilt jackets I've seen, which are cut off very high to show off the pleats at the waist. When I was trying out skirts on my wife, one of her comments was that the jacket was too long, though (as someone has said) this is partly from expectations based on seeing women in shorter jackets. I have tried a women's jacket (didn't work: needed a bust to fit properly), and bought a black leather jacket in a fairly short length, but I am thinking of shopping for a cropped biker jacket. I may also get a cheap men's jacket and ask my local sewing wizard to shorten it for me.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Could someone please explain why there is such a needless hang-up over the length of a jacket?
"Rules" of thirds and other strictures must surely be secondary to personal choice.
Frankly my dears I would not give a damn, if it pleases you, just wear the thing.
Life is hard enough, why add trivial complications?
Case in point is this which, with a slightly longer skirt, I'd wear in a heart-beat.
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:28 am Case in point is this which, with a slightly longer skirt, I'd wear in a heart-beat.
Steve
Yes it works very well with the jacket unbuttoned.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:28 am Could someone please explain why there is such a needless hang-up over the length of a jacket?
"Rules" of thirds and other strictures must surely be secondary to personal choice.
Humans (animals) love rules, it simplifies decision making and reinforces the herd mentality.

So even those who break "the rules" in some way still want to assert / conform to some form of rule. "Rules for rule breakers".

To me there are no clothing rules, even if I dislike some of the outfits shared on here on aesthetic grounds, those grounds are my own and any resemblance to others' is purely coincidental (he says fingers crossed).
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

They're more like "guidelines" than actual rules...

Aesthetic guidelines. Ones that help make an outfit that breaks one of the biggest social taboos (male skirt wearing) look as good (masculine?) as possible, lessening the incongruous nature of the final product. Makes us look as well put together, thought out, and intentional as possible.

Women play with proportions all the time, to look younger, sexier, etc. Sexy, especially, is not what we're going for. I wish we were at a point where men could have that kind of fun, but we're not. And for those with hesitant spouses, such things could spell disaster.

Men's fashion has traditionally worked to make a man look older, stronger, and more mature/dignified. Much of women's fashion today aims for the opposite: younger, more delicate, and sexier. Even menswear that bends the rules a bit to emphasize the wearer's youth gets a fair amount of pushback in some circles. So many of us tread lightly...
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

Content warning This post is supposed to be mostly serious, but includes a bit of fun poking too.
Dust wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:02 pm They're more like "guidelines" than actual rules...
What do you consider the difference to be?
Dust wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:02 pm Aesthetic guidelines. Ones that help make an outfit that breaks one of the biggest social taboos (male skirt wearing) look as good (masculine?) as possible, lessening the incongruous nature of the final product. Makes us look as well put together, thought out, and intentional as possible.
So what you are saying is that conforming to societal norms even when breaking the societal norms is a good thing? That really makes my point for me. Many rule breakers (calling them rules or societal norms or guidelines is just semantics) still feel the need to follow rules and through this forum many people express those rules as somehow being unbreakable. Why does a shorter jacket look better with a skirt? I suspect it is just what you are used to seeing so accept it, and moreover accept the herd mentality behind that, but is it a rule or a guideline? Skirts that showed ankle were at one time scandalous, then came over the knee, then came mini. Look at youth fashion; they are leaving us behind, their rules are more fluid and there are less of them, which is a good thing, whether you like the look or not.
Dust wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:02 pm Sexy, especially, is not what we're going for.
Is sexy not just being overtly or subtly attractive to your target audience (that my of course just be yourself). I get where you are coming from, but who is we? Each individual should be able to decide where their boundaries are, not follow guidelines. Your sexy may be someone else's demure or vice versa. Your vice may be....never mind.
Dust wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:02 pm Even menswear that bends the rules a bit to emphasize the wearer's youth gets a fair amount of pushback in some circles. So many of us tread lightly...
That word "rules" again.... you can't escape it :lol: :lol:
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

Surely when it comes to rules for male skirt wearing, the only rule should be that there are no rules.

I have spent most of my life adhering to male fashion norms, a suit and tie for work with jeans/casual trousers or shorts with shirt appropriate to the occasion. Discomfort apart it was boring. My kids used to say I was like a character from a comic who had a wardrobe of identical jumpers.

They can’t say that any more as they seldom see me wearing anything but a dress or skirt. I am still experimenting with colour, style and all the rest of the vast choice in the world of womenswear. As far as I am concerned all rules have been left behind in the trouser drawer.