gender-inclusive skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: gender-inclusive skirt

Post by crfriend »

Faldaguy wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:21 amMy logic prof might have a different take; but despite grand efforts from both of you, it strikes me as a circular; "chicken or egg" question.
Nope, you would have received no gripes at all -- it is circular reasoning, pure and simple. The only reason that skirts aren't fashionable for guys is that they're not in fashion at the moment. There is no logical reason for it, other than "that's the way it is" -- all arguments aside.
* Women could help, but I think this one falls to men to make it happen.
Yes, this one's on us. Completely. The cavalry will not arrive in the nick of time.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

My order arrived. I ordered the XXS and XS. I'm around a 28"/29", hips just barely wider (32"?). Both fit, and the XXS measured from 26"-30", plenty of stretch. However decided the XS gave a bit more leg freedom (and the elastic is strong, so long-term wear at the upper end of the size range is probably not advisable) - this is not a true wrap design, rather it's an elastic waist skirt with a pleated flap at the front that is clasped. No slit in the skirt, and it's on the shorter side for me (I prefer knee-length). Material is stiff, but might soften on first washing. Pleats were all a mess on the XS's. The left side (where the wrap originates from) stuck out a bit on the left, but I think that's because the pleats weren't ironed... which IMHO will be the death knell for this skirt. They are sewn at the top, but obviously not along the pleats, so washing/ironing will be a moderate chore.

Last thought - even though it was shorter than my typical skirt, it felt like the right length.
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

Coder- you received it fast. Is there any chance we can see a pic? I was disappointed that the XL size only comes in pink. I have nothing against a man wearing pink but I wanted something more conventional.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

...it strikes me as a circular; "chicken or egg" question.
Oh, for goodness sake EVERYONE knows the Egg came first :lol: :lol: :lol:
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Brad wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:08 pm Coder- you received it fast. Is there any chance we can see a pic? I was disappointed that the XL size only comes in pink. I have nothing against a man wearing pink but I wanted something more conventional.
I will do so tonight - the quick photos I took - well the lighting was off (washed out from a window) - and I want to iron them a bit. I just took a short break from work to take a quick look at them.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Faldaguy wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:21 am
by Stu » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:12 am

Bodycon wrote: ↑Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:36 am
If only it were so simple.

Fashion is only part of the reason, the others being peer pressure and herd mentality, though they are also linked.
Peer pressure - pressure to conform to the current fashion.

Herd mentality - the herd follows the current fashion.

Yes, the fashion aspect is so ingrained now that a male wearing a skirt is committing a social taboo, but it still all boils down to fashion.
My logic prof might have a different take; but despite grand efforts from both of you, it strikes me as a circular; "chicken or egg" question. Perhaps, rather than ruffle our feathers on this one we can just accept that peer pressure, herd mentality, and underutilized synapses regarding fashion are all factors limiting wide adaptation (again) of skirts for men. Just prod the bloke(s)* wherever they may be vulnerable and carry on.
Regarding Chicken and the egg.
Or more men will wear skirts when more men wear skirts. I have even caught myself thinking that, "well when I see some men wearing skirts locally, I will start wearing skirts in public." If everyone has that mentality, men will never wear skirts. A vast majority are ok with being part of the herd. Very few want to be the only one, or the one.

Also I think most men are afraid of what people think.
Because there are trans and those who presents as female/cross dressing men. Most men won't even touch a skirt.

It's very exhausting just trying to convince my wife that I just like wearing skirts, I have no desire to be or act or live as woman. Not now or never. I don't have the energy or time to have that discussion with every person I have contact with. Because of the press and cultural images out there. If a Guy says that they like skirts people seem to think the extreme, of images from the rocky horror picture show. Dennis rodman in his wedding dress, or Bruce/Caitlin Jenner. I have no desire to be like any of those examples, but that's where people's minds tend to conclude. Again exhausting trying to combat those images.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:25 pm
Faldaguy wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:21 am
by Stu » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:12 am

Bodycon wrote: ↑Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:36 am
If only it were so simple.

Fashion is only part of the reason, the others being peer pressure and herd mentality, though they are also linked.
Peer pressure - pressure to conform to the current fashion.

Herd mentality - the herd follows the current fashion.

Yes, the fashion aspect is so ingrained now that a male wearing a skirt is committing a social taboo, but it still all boils down to fashion.
My logic prof might have a different take; but despite grand efforts from both of you, it strikes me as a circular; "chicken or egg" question. Perhaps, rather than ruffle our feathers on this one we can just accept that peer pressure, herd mentality, and underutilized synapses regarding fashion are all factors limiting wide adaptation (again) of skirts for men. Just prod the bloke(s)* wherever they may be vulnerable and carry on.
Regarding Chicken and the egg.
Or more men will wear skirts when more men wear skirts. I have even caught myself thinking that, "well when I see some men wearing skirts locally, I will start wearing skirts in public." If everyone has that mentality, men will never wear skirts. A vast majority are ok with being part of the herd. Very few want to be the only one, or the one.

Also I think most men are afraid of what people think.
Because there are trans and those who presents as female/cross dressing men. Most men won't even touch a skirt.

It's very exhausting just trying to convince my wife that I just like wearing skirts, I have no desire to be or act or live as woman. Not now or never. I don't have the energy or time to have that discussion with every person I have contact with. Because of the press and cultural images out there. If a Guy says that they like skirts people seem to think the extreme, of images from the rocky horror picture show. Dennis rodman in his wedding dress, or Bruce/Caitlin Jenner. I have no desire to be like any of those examples, but that's where people's minds tend to conclude. Again exhausting trying to combat those images.
Sadly true :blue: those were old fashioned concepts, but since everyone is more "woke", and genderfluid is a thing, no one bats an eye anymore. I have been in a formal pencil skirt all day, as long as youre decent, no one gets offended. There's very few guys who would put a skirt on and feel the next step is to become female, they just get on with it, in some cases, beard and all :mrgreen:
hfm7y2jdhs481.jpg
Courtesy: reddit

Instagram shows us the world out there, lots of like minded guys are just thinking JFDI and to h*ll with consequences. These tend to get on with it and rather post a picture rather than to a forum. I guess its the evolution of social media, hence the slowdown of posts of late. Mark is doing well with his Instagram for instance 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

new2skirts wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:07 pm Instagram shows us the world out there, lots of like minded guys are just thinking JFDI and to h*ll with consequences. These tend to get on with it and rather post a picture rather than to a forum. I guess its the evolution of social media, hence the slowdown of posts of late. Mark is doing well with his Instagram for instance 8)
Well, I just want advice. I don't think "social media" really would work as it's mostly very positive affirmation sort of stuff. While that's great and all... I'd much more appreciate advice and feedback and a forum is more suited to that.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

Coder wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:09 pm Well, I just want advice. I don't think "social media" really would work as it's mostly very positive affirmation sort of stuff. While that's great and all... I'd much more appreciate advice and feedback and a forum is more suited to that.
Forums are also very affirmation based. No one wants to read that others think their outfit to be awful, so that criticism is self-censored, partly out of respect and partly out of the hope that you won't be on the receiving end of similar.

There have been several pics posted here in the short time I've been in the café that I have thought looked terrible, as outfits or colour combinations, however saying so would have been a tad rude to the poster, even though the Fashion Police should have been called.

I kind of want to say, go and listen to "Strawberry Fields Forever" I think that maybe explains it (at least to me)....but I'm not sure it does for others.

I'll try again. Nothing in cyberspace is fully real, but its not worth getting upset about, as long as you live your own reality.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Bodycon wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:48 pm
Coder wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:09 pm Well, I just want advice. I don't think "social media" really would work as it's mostly very positive affirmation sort of stuff. While that's great and all... I'd much more appreciate advice and feedback and a forum is more suited to that.
Forums are also very affirmation based. No one wants to read that others think their outfit to be awful, so that criticism is self-censored, partly out of respect and partly out of the hope that you won't be on the receiving end of similar.

There have been several pics posted here in the short time I've been in the café that I have thought looked terrible, as outfits or colour combinations, however saying so would have been a tad rude to the poster, even though the Fashion Police should have been called.
Well, I have gotten constructive criticism, and there are ways to politely tell someone they should adjust their style. For instance, I abhor tucking my shirt in... but I know skirts tend to look better with shirts tucked. Or some here wear socks over tights (I am guilty as well of this sin)... sometimes that looks OK but most of the time not a great look. There are ways to suggest better ways of presentation, color combinations, and patterns.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Bodycon wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:48 pm There have been several pics posted here in the short time I've been in the café that I have thought looked terrible, as outfits or colour combinations, however saying so would have been a tad rude to the poster, even though the Fashion Police should have been called.
Bodycon
Beauty is simply in the eye of the beholder.
As for the "Fashion Police", some folks would recommend capital punishment for the simple concept of a guy in a skirt.
This kind of comes to mind too, "O wad some Power the giftie gie us To see oursels as ithers see us"!
new2skirts wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:07 pm Sadly true those were old fashioned concepts, but since everyone is more "woke", and genderfluid is a thing, no one bats an eye anymore. I have been in a formal pencil skirt all day, as long as youre decent, no one gets offended.
Hi N2
Sorry man but that is just way too sweeping. Many folks out there still object to men in skirts and strongly too.
Maybe not so much in our immediate communities but they are there alright.
If they weren't maybe we could make some progress and men could really make their own fashion choices.
We could start with those of us who have families who do more than "bat an eyelid" on the subject.
Steve.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

Stevie,

Quoting Burns will only get you burned at the stake in my book and from "To a Louse", that had me scratching at the thought..... :lol:

The sentiment is correct though as you will never get a fully open and honest opinion online; where the outfit is hideous (in the eye of the beholder), you are likely to get no comment at all for fear of upset.

Coder,

You are misinterpreting what I am saying. Yes, you will get some constructive criticism and probably more from those you know well, however, people here are unlikely to state that an outfit is, as above, hideous (in the eye of the beholder). If you posted a picture of yourself wearing a yellow spaghetti string vest and a purple curtain wrapped as a skirt and back to yellow for fishnet tights, I'll bet you would get a compliment. (please don't take that as a challenge).

Cyberspace is not reality and opinions can be either muted or exaggerated, both positively or negatively, for both good and bad reasons.

As for socks and tights, I take it is for getting shoes to fit? Try wearing those minimal sports socks that don't show up above the shoe.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Coder wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:15 pm For instance, I abhor tucking my shirt in... but I know skirts tend to look better with shirts tucked. Or some here wear socks over tights (I am guilty as well of this sin)... sometimes that looks OK but most of the time not a great look.
I also never like tucking shirts in but now that I wear mini skirts some of the male orientated shirts are so long that it looks like I am not wearing anything under it, hence I tuck them in but pull a little back out so it is a bit loose around the waist.

I often wear socks over thigh highs to get a better shoe fit and I don't mind the look. There is a difference in colour and texture of wearing socks over bare legs, so what is the problem with wearing them over another colour and texture?
Bodycon wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:02 pm As for socks and tights, I take it is for getting shoes to fit? Try wearing those minimal sports socks that don't show up above the shoe.
That is a good idea, I hate those sockless look socks otherwise.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I received my Pride Gender Inclusive Pleated Cotton Twill Skirt today and its too small.
I ordered my normal size which matched with the size chart on line and my skirt has to be 2 sizes too small.
I'm not sure going up one size would make the skirt fit.

I have seen my size be anything from 2x to 5x depending on brand and specific article of clothing.
In this 3X is way too small.
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Post by photoguy207 »

I received mine this weekend. I am a size 16/18 and bought the 2XL. I originally thought the XL would be the correct size but they didn't have any. the 2XL fits perfectly.

Its like a pencil skirt with a front flap. Only issue no pockets and it might need a kilt pin.

Very comfortable to wear!