gender-inclusive skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Pleats

Re: gender-inclusive skirt

Post by Pleats »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:06 am
I was almost sold on the Nordstrom skirt, then I noticed the political agenda, if you purchase a gender inclusive skirt ( there's only two) they will donate money to a trans group. Why if a man buys a skirt he gets pushed into the trans box? So I decided to skip it due to the agenda.
I took my money to Target and got the blue plaid skirt.
It's a little shorter than I preferred, but all In all I like it, it's a beautiful blue. I ended up settling for a xl, it has a fair amount Of elastic stretch. I about got a XXL, but I think it would have been too big. Luckily before going to Target I held a skirt along my arm, to use as a measure. So I could measure the skirt against my arm in store.
I chickened out, as far as originally I was going to try it on in a changing room. Target monitors changing rooms with staff, and I didn't really want to walk up to the clerk an ask if I could use a changing room, with a skirt in my hand.

Thank you R M for pointing out a neat skirt from Target.
I don't have a Nordstrom store in my town but there is one 50 miles away. I will driving past that store tomorrow. From that store's website they say they have some in stock. I thought about going down early to check them out. I noticed the political agenda. I get mad when I see this. I am a guy in a skirt so I get thrown into a political bucket of trans or something else. Why can't a guy just wear a skirt because he likes them? Men have worn skirts all through history. Maybe I should go to that store and hope the sales person is a lady and brings up the donation part. Then I can turn it around. If the sales person is a lady she will probably be wearing pants. I can then say, "I see your wearing pants so you must be trans also". Lets see how far that goes.

Another question. If they have them in stock what department will I find them? I bet they are in the woman's department. If they are intended to be unisex then would I not find them in the men's department?

I am glad to see that a major store has offered a skirt that is intended for a man to wear. Making some progress I guess but they need to dump the political BS. I feel this offering is akin to a guy buying his first kilt. He's afraid others will see it as a skirt. So he wear it over pants. Its OK mom, I am wearing pants.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I was going to order the plaid skirt, the one that looks like
the Black Stewart tartan. I noticed that the skirt only comes
with a 16 inch hem length. I questioned the on-line person
about getting a 24 inch hem length. I was told that the skirt
only comes with a 16 inch hem length.

I was disappointed but said thanks and I'll be looking elsewhere.

Then logged-off the website. :|

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

I can’t say I would wear a skirt made for a man or to be gender inclusive. Clothes made for men are always over-engineered and too heavy and bulky. There is a huge variety of skirts available and getting the right one is a joy. But as with everything, each to his own and those who want a heavy skirt should have the choice.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Midas wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:25 pmI can’t say I would wear a skirt made for a man or to be gender inclusive. Clothes made for men are always over-engineered and too heavy and bulky. There is a huge variety of skirts available and getting the right one is a joy. But as with everything, each to his own and those who want a heavy skirt should have the choice.

I agree. I am not worried about weighty garments at all - a women's denim or corduroy skirt is substantial enough for me, but I am conscious that I can be heavy on clothes and they wear out faster on me than my wife's clothes do on her.

on that point, my wife and I went to watch a ballet last night (The Nutcracker) and the principal ballerina - seen below on the far left, wore what looked like the flimsiest dress imaginable. Nevertheless, she was contorting her body into all manner of positions, writhing on the stage floor, boing hoisted by the male dancers and her dress withstood that level of abuse for three hours and she took the final curtain looking immaculate. I take my hat off to the seamstress who put that together!

Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Pleats, don't be hard on the shop assistant. The company policy is not her fault. If you must make any complaint then do it to the Store Manager. They are trained and paid to handle such complaints. As a shop assistant myself there are enough stresses with the job without adding to them needlessly. Have a little bit of compassion and thought.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

r.m.anderson wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:20 am The interesting thing about Nordstrom is that they apparently ship internationally and include the price of customs & VAT, so no sticker shock on arrival. They put it at €60 including delivery and all taxes, which isn't bad. I'm mean, it's double the retail price, but still.

The only problem here is a fitting room is not included in the S & H taxes fees - - -
It a pain in the arse when the measurements are NOT in sync (theirs and yours) - - -
Return for refund or exchange is the pain issue
I've found Nordstrom really good to deal with and they ship to me way down here in NZ!
So far.... no size issues... touch wood. Everything has fitted ok.
(but I've only bought stuff in brands I already have other garments/pairs of... so its a little safer.
Cheers
NZF
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

I'm happy to support this company by buying one of those, I don't mind too much the social cause they attached to it. Supporting trans people doesn't label you as trans any more than supporting breast cancer research labels you as someone with breasts.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by FLbreezy » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:42 pm

I'm happy to support this company by buying one of those, I don't mind too much the social cause they attached to it. Supporting trans people doesn't label you as trans any more than supporting breast cancer research labels you as someone with breasts.
Thank you FLbreezy for the simple bit of logic. I suspect Nordstrom probably had 'good intentions' in the promo, just a bit naïve and short-sighted in how it might be taken, particularly by a customer category that is not at all well-defined or understood!

It is too easy to pick on the some 'bitty' thing and fail to give credit for what efforts are made. I feel we get far too nit-picky here at times -- the concerns expressed are often valid, but when we demand "perfection" from everyone instead of supporting the efforts that are made, we tend to fall upon our own petard.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:06 am Target monitors changing rooms with staff, and I didn't really want to walk up to the clerk an ask if I could use a changing room, with a skirt in my hand.
There is quite a simple answer to this problem.
Be wearing a skirt when you enter the shop in the first place.
That way if you approach a changing room with a potential purchase there is no ambiguity and no need to request permission.
The store is way more interested in your money than what you are actually buying you know.
The "monitoring" is for minimising theft, if the person shows genuine interest it is probably that you are just relieving the tedium a little for them.
In this context at least, nobody really cares what you wear, all else is hype to encourage more sales.
Steve.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Just had a look at this, and it's an interesting piece, and it looks quite sensible. The girl in the video explains it well.
The pricing on the skirt is not too out there either, but I do wonder about the shipping cost to get it down under, and how long it would take to get here.
I still have an item that was sent from Texas in September that has not yet arrived, tracking says it's ready for collection in Chicago. It's not a skirt.

There is the one thing that irks me a little with this, and that's the whole "we are trying to include the trans/gay community with non gendered items", and the suggestion, perhaps indirectly, that men who would wear the skirt are more likely to fit into this envelope.
I am sure that 99% of us here at the cafe do not fall into this category.

It has been mentioned in another thread that there is a retailer in Australia that is selling "kilts" to (mostly) younger men, and they have sold plenty apparently. There is hope that skirts marketed to men will increase in number, and it will become something seen out and about a bit more regularly in years to come.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I'm warming to the idea that most skirts don't have gender. Yes, some have fripperies ( bows, frills, strange constructions ) that would appeal more to women but not sure how they could be made to specifically appeal to men. Those with fripperies aren't ones that I would want to wear anyway.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
JayB

Post by JayB »

Having a skirt marketed with a male modeling it is a positive beginning. However, as stated in other replies, retailers need to be made aware of the fact that most men who wear skirts do so because they like them, and not because they are "trans" or "gay" or anything similar. The only way they are going to get the message is for everyone to provide feedback to that effect. I have only bought a few skirts online, but those I have I left feedback that conveyed the message that they should be marketing to men as well as women.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Sinned wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:23 pm I'm warming to the idea that most skirts don't have gender.
Welcome onboard! :lol:
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I just wish my wife could see it.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:44 pmI just wish my wife could see it.
It's going to take a leap of faith -- and most folks are not willing to do that.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!