Floor-sweepers coming back?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Floor-sweepers coming back?

Post by pelmut »

In the last couple of weeks I have noticed several girl students in my area wearing 'floor-sweepers'. mostly made of a lightweight fabric with either slits up the sides or a generously full hem that flowed when walking.  The first time I saw one, I thought the wearer must be on her way to a party, but then I noticed several more who appeared to be walking to their lectures.  Does this mark a change in fashion?
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Floor-sweepers coming back?

Post by crfriend »

pelmut wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:38 amDoes this mark a change in fashion?
"Maxi" skirts have been around for quite a few years now, and are mainly good for cooler temperatures because of the coverage they offer. It's nice to see the style gaining traction, but sadly the very long look has been seriously dumbed-down from its original formal and semi-formal style to very casual usage.

Actually, it'd be nice to see skirts of any style coming back into general use...
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Agreed.
And even if the skirts were very average in appearance, that would be an improvement over the status quo.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by pelmut » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:38 am

In the last couple of weeks I have noticed several girl students in my area wearing 'floor-sweepers'. mostly made of a lightweight fabric with either slits up the sides or a generously full hem that flowed when walking. The first time I saw one, I thought the wearer must be on her way to a party, but then I noticed several more who appeared to be walking to their lectures. Does this mark a change in fashion?
I concur with Carl -- just a change of season. Ankle to floor is about all I've worn this past couple weeks for the simple reason of temperature -- albeit it is not truly "cold" by either local or most standards, but my internal thermometer got reset with the last few years in Costa Rica and tropical climes. So keep your eyes out Ducks, for another couple months there will be one more long skirt on the streets. I have found pleasure in both plain colors offering more latitude with shirt selection; and some colorful fabrics (mostly lined though for the warmth) fun to wear.

I did see a 'chap' in a long skirt last week as I swung into a parking lot and I looped back to extend a bravo, only as I approached discovered I had mis-gendered the person :( .

The only draw back to 'floor sweepers' is having to watch steps and grunge hazards at the hem. Modesty is assured, shoe and sock selections extended as they are pretty much hidden and you don't have to turn to pants for warmth. Great solution.