World leaders and skirts and apparently a conversation on Scotland becoming separate from the United Kingdom 😏

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: World leaders and skirts

Post by Ray »

Not sure Northumberland would like to be annexed by Scotland on the rebuilding of Hadrian’s Wall.

Mind you, they might like it…

The UK is a mess. Time to sort it out - or allow elements to go their own way if that’s the will of the departing entity.

I’d rather we stayed together in theory, but when your main bank is called Bank of England, not U.K.; when you have four sports teams, not one; when you have two legal systems and at least two education systems….in one sovereign state, then said state is a bit of a mess.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Ray wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:47 pm I’d rather we stayed together in theory, but when your main bank is called Bank of England, not U.K.; when you have four sports teams, not one; when you have two legal systems and at least two education systems….in one sovereign state, then said state is a bit of a mess.
Make that 3 (or at least 2 1/2, or maybe 2 3/4). UK laws in most areas are made separately for England and Wales (except in devolved matters where it's just England), Scotland and Northern Ireland. A Legislative Consent Motion permits the UK Government to make a single law on a devolved matter covering England (perhaps Wales) and Scotland, where the two governments are in agreement about the terms of the legislation.

Regarding the labelling of UKG as a "foreign" government, the English and Scottish Parliaments each passed an Act of Union, uniting the two parliaments. It may amount to turkeys voting for Christmas, but Scotland agreed to the Union [0] but managed for almost 300 years to maintain separate legal and education systems. That hardly seems like a dictatorship - in contrast for example to the democratically elected president of Zimbabwe, who took personal control of the country. We should be careful how we use inflammatory words - the end result will be a country that is less, not more, safe.

[0] Yes, I'm aware that it was a minority of Scots, but that was how it worked at the time. We cannot change history, only deal with the consequences.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

Ray wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:47 pm Not sure Northumberland would like to be annexed by Scotland on the rebuilding of Hadrian’s Wall.
Disputed territories, changed sides many times; if they want to stay in England (why would they?) they can move the wall a bit further North. We would of course re-set the North Sea offshore border too, where the Labour gov't changed it in the 90's, so that the gas fields were "in England"...Now why would they do that?
Ray wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:47 pm I’d rather we stayed together in theory
To be serious for a paragraph...
Me too, I have a foot in both English and Scottish camps, however without an equal four way split of power (decision making) within a UK, then we are doomed to either continue with the largest member dominating and dictating to the others, or a split. The number of Nationalists in NI (of voting age) will soon outnumber the Unionists, so that will probably only go one way sometime soon. Scotland is fed up being treated as a second class country (If HS2 had ever been a serious proposition it would have gone from London to Inverness) and Wales isn't actually seen as a country at all by a lot English people.

Would Westminster ever cede power to the other nations for a fair and equitable UK? Nope.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I agree with your comments - but stupid is stupid, no matter how long it has been going on for.

One legal system.
One U.K. bank - called the U.K. bank
One education system
One representative at all sports, competitions etc.

It’s not much to ask, is it? For the unification of the wider nation? Do what almost every other sovereign state does? Any proponent of a United Kingdom must - must - see the logic and sense in the above.

Furthermore, until travelling Brits say to locals “I’m British / from the U.K.” rather than its constituent parts, we’re stuffed.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Ray wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:47 pm Not sure Northumberland would like to be annexed by Scotland on the rebuilding of Hadrian’s Wall.

Mind you, they might like it…

The UK is a mess. Time to sort it out - or allow elements to go their own way if that’s the will of the departing entity.

I’d rather we stayed together in theory, but when your main bank is called Bank of England, not U.K.; when you have four sports teams, not one; when you have two legal systems and at least two education systems….in one sovereign state, then said state is a bit of a mess.
The UK is not united, and barely a Kingdom... I think a lot more Commonwealth states will follow Barbados out the door, and when "London Bridge is Down" who knows if the UK may choose to become a Republic? Charles is already 73, and apart from William, I don't think there's much appetite to carry on traditions apart for tourism. As for football teams being scaled down, it will cause riots :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Funny how we can play as one team (rugby Union) including another country (republic of Ireland) without rancour, yet unifying football teams causes uproar?
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

It was said that football (soccer) is a gentlemans' game played by thugs, and Rugby Union is a thugs' game played by gentlemen. The real problem for soccer is the followers or fans. There is where the rancour spills over and violence brings the whole sport into disrepute.

When such an all-inclusive rugby team is convened it plays under the label 'British & Irish Lions' and the sport is so competitive that there is no room for rancour. They also sometimes play under the title 'Barbarians'. People who watch rugby matches go home quietly. I believe the Spanish do likewise after a bullfight. I attended one of those in Barcelona in 1965. Not something I would ever do again.

Back on track: I believe the Dalai Lama wears a traditional male skirt.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

Glad some fellow Scots have pitched in to defend us from this wall of Brits from outside Scotland telling us what to do (no change there). Even the pro-union Scots would bristle at the prospect of uniting the education and legal systems of the four nations. And yer Bank of England was founded by a Scot. You are dealing with people who, before going to England, make a point of filling their wallets with Scottish banknotes. Just because we can.

Yup, I annexed Northumberland. Apologies. It was figurative, nothing more. I have come across a lot of people from the north of England who want to join Scotland.

Of course until we prise off the yoke our leader is hardly a world leader, but in the meantime our leader wears a skirt! [Token attempt to refer back to the title of the thread!]

Interesting that we have some republicans on here too. Roll on that day, but independence first. Meanwhile we have some Englishmen tying themselves in knots desperate for arguments they are really not entitled to advance. Holding these opinions is fine. Imposing them on the Scots against our will is not.

I don't do the football. Or the rugby. I know enough about it to be sure that if international fitba' rules required all national teams to be from sovereign states, Scotland would vote for independence by a landslide. I like to think there are better arguments.

I suspect Northern Ireland will defect first. That is some mess Boris has made and the government contracts to his unqualified pals - unfit to govern even the country that voted for him, let alone the three who didn't.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Well, quite the nationalist, aren't we? As far as currency how a fully independent Scotland would treat its currency has not yet been explained. The options are quite well explained in the following publication: https://www.instituteforgovernment.org. ... otland.pdf. It is unlikely any form of monetary union would be agreed and entering the Euro would be a long-term goal as Scotland's economy is nowhere near meeting its entry conditions.

As for the border, this would need to be sorted as a Scotland Protocol would be inadvisable given the NI Protocol. So a proper border with fences and checkpoints, which would be at Scotland's cost, I suppose. As for Northumberland - it's in England and as such would take no part in any referendum. Parliament would surely resist any attempt to do so.

The EU has not made any commitment to accepting Scotland. If it was thought that Scotland would be a drain on resources, and this may be the case for a number of years, they may refuse.

There would be a migration of large companies/institutions away because the Scottish economy would be too small to sustain them. Several have already said so.

Whatever. Doubtless, any problems could be overcome but there are two practical considerations - resources and time. Resources would have to be assigned to sorting this out which may not be a problem for England with its larger population with deep experience but will Scotland have the expertise and the numbers? Time, because there is a huge amount to sort out in a very, very short period. How do you prioritise the issues given the limitations?

Ah, well, not my problem, and not yours either as the wise and benevolent wee Kranky will wave her magic wand and all the problems will resolve themselves.

BTW I'm fairly neutral on independence, above my pay grade. It will or will not happen - it will affect me, perhaps. It may be that far in the future that I may not be around to see it. Just indicating that the problems may conspire to not make it happen, no matter how much you desire it. Look on the bright side - you may get your referendum and it be rejected again. Heh, heh.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Epiceneguy
Distinguished Member

Post by Epiceneguy »

🤔 next time I'm just going to start a thread on Jewish Muslim Hindi Trump supporting neo communist Welsh one legged non sexual lesbian red haired babies winning x-factor and we might start chatting about guys in skirts!!!!!!

Right I'll say this once!

Scottish nationalist not everything in the world is about Scotland!!!!!!

The rest of you, STOP winding up the Scottish nationalist!!!

RIGHT BACK TO THE B*STARD THREAD......

Mussolini a rather fetching full length grey/blue ballgown!!
When life gives you lemons, slice them and put them into your G&T!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Epiceneguy wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:05 amMussolini a rather fetching full length grey/blue ballgown!!
Or Abraham Lincoln in an all-out crinoline rig with lace trim! (Hey, it's period-appropriate!)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

crfriend wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:20 pm Bill Clinton in a blue velvet dress?
You mean like this?

https://nypost.com/2019/08/16/artist-wh ... s-mansion/
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

I'll just ask a final (ish) question of those Englishmen who seem so determined to hold onto Scotland, why?

You tell us we are too small, we don't have an economy, we are dependent on you for subsidies etc. etc. so would England (and the balance of the UK) not be better off if Scotland went its own way? Is it some kind of charity that you give us?

OR

Is it actually true that Scotland puts more into the coffers by head of population than England, provides natural resources including power generation, gas, oil, food and water, which without the UK would suffer? Somewhere else would need to be found for the dumping of nuclear weapons.

What you don't get is that all these resources could be shared in a fair and equitable UK, IF it was a fair and equitable UK, which it isn't.

So, again, why do you oppose an apparently bankrupt and costly to subsidise nation from going it's own way and freeing you up billions to spend on yourselves?
Epiceneguy
Distinguished Member

Re: World leaders and skirts and apparently a conversation on Scotland becoming separate from the United Kingdom &#12852

Post by Epiceneguy »

Obviously the Scottish education system fails to teach English and Google translate has misinterpreted my last post into ' please carry on ranting about Scotland breaking away from the Union' so I give in 🙄

As far as I'm concerned as an island nation it's not rocket science to realise we are better without borders and have been incredibly successful as a union that for good or bad or indifferent reasons our impact as a united country has been substantial on the world stage, if the union hadn't occurred it's doubtful that this islands impact would have been anywhere near as great. The union has mostly benefited all sides, I'm aware that the internet makes us all experts in every field from history, moon landings, assassinations, vaccine conspiracies, how to re-plumb your house, building your own shoes, self surgery the list goes on but please try to separate propaganda from historical facts, learning the difference is so important. It may come as a shock and I'm aware it's taught from a very early age but not everything in the world is England's fault!!!!! We are not super villains and Sir Walter Scott was not a very good historian and has a lot to answer for!

Please answer me one thing though, what's with the obsession with breaking away from an over two hundred year union of nations to join a 14 year old European Union run by unelected bureaucrats from Brussels, just curious.
Epiceneguy
Distinguished Member

Post by Epiceneguy »

Dust wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:48 am
crfriend wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:20 pm Bill Clinton in a blue velvet dress?
You mean like this?

https://nypost.com/2019/08/16/artist-wh ... s-mansion/
Have to say he wears it well 😉