World leaders and skirts and apparently a conversation on Scotland becoming separate from the United Kingdom 😏

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: World leaders and skirts

Post by Faldaguy »

by tbryant2k12 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:50 pm

In discussing Prince Harry, he is likely to only one who has worn a skirt in the form of a kilt. Yes, I know some don't think a kilt is a skit, heard some Scots are adamant it isn't. But by the definition of a skit, the kilt fits the description.
I'm not quite sure what words and definitions are in dispute here: But I'd certainly accept that within the SC community, it seems a kilt is indeed a skit for a skirt. :lol:
Epiceneguy
Distinguished Member

Post by Epiceneguy »

I'll be honest, when I started this thread naively I didn't see it heading to conversation's about Oliver Cromwell, the Monarchy, Scottish separation, you guys really know how to head off on tangents 😆
When life gives you lemons, slice them and put them into your G&T!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Plenty of photographs exist of Charles in a kilt as well. That's not unusual.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

pelmut wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:33 pm
Bodycon wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:32 pm As for Independence WTF has that got to do with you?
I presume you are referring to independence of Scotland from (at least) England, where I and Dennis live.  In that case, we should have just as much say in whether England becomes independent of Scotland as the Scots should have in whether Scotland becomes independent of England.  That's what it has to do with us.
IN am going to take serious issue with this. Scotland has voted to hold a referendum via its own Parliament and the Parliament now has this majority. This is democracy in action. Any resulting motion to hold it is likely to be over-ruled by a PM belonging to a party elected in another country (England) with pitifully small support in Scotland. We are fed up to the back teeth of being (over)ruled by old Etonians we rejected at the ballot box. We have been dragged into an illegal war and out of the EU against our will. We have had enough. And now you dare to suggest that the abusive partner from who we need this divorce should actually be allowed (again) to deny us what we want by sheer with of numbers south of the border. When a party we did not elect tells us we can't have what we voted for we are already in a dictatorship - we are certainly not in a working democracy. Bullying by the Bullingdon Club. (2/3 of the last PMs ex Eton, ex Bullingdon - are you guys completely crazy?). By all means express an opinion on Scottish independence but do not imagine for one moment we will tolerate people outside Scotland having any control over the situation. Get this - we are FED UP to the back teeth of being ignored in this supposed union and we are entitled to say when one part of the union feels it is no longer working for us. Our say - not yours. Not ever. When the English over-rule the way Scotland votes about Scotland, we are no longer in a union. We are in an English empire. Funnily enough we don't like this.
Epiceneguy
Distinguished Member

Post by Epiceneguy »

I feel sorry that I feel obliged to come into this debate but I do find it more than a little annoying when nationalist party members use the term 'we' when referring to their own opinions as though it's representative of of the entire population.
Also I think that it's extremely disrespectfully to the people of Northern Ireland and Wales when any discussion of the Union becomes a Scotland v England thing (almost a Culloden syndrome).
I've always found it weak when the claim of being ruled by the English is brought in by cherry picking points of history, the whole 2 out of 3 can be turned on its head when you point out 2 out of 3 previous prime minister's were Scottish born (Blair & Brown) also the claim of no representation because Conservatives weren't elected in Scotland (the additional 'this time' is always missed out), never forget before the poll tax the majority of Scotland voted for Thatcher, so please be careful when editing history.

This aside back to the original thread Putin in a pencil leather skirt 😆
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I do not have the figures to hand and it is not worth the effort of researching it but as far as I am aware the last time Scotland voted Tory was around 1956 - there is no way there was a Tory majority in the pre-Thatcher years. I am safe saying 'we' because that is how the votes were cast in Scotland. Many of us feel this way so it is first person plural - it does not mean everyone. The Scots did not inflict any Prime Ministers on the UK - the English inflicted Boris and many more on us because very few Scots voted for them - that is my point. When major decision of the electorate is overruled by another country this is not cherry picking - it is fundamental to democracy. The people of England (some of them Scots) are very fond of telling the people of Scotland what is good for us, because obviously living in England makes their opinion superior to that wild bunch north of Hadrian's Wall. Scotland is numerically unable to overrule England in anything political so you cannot blame us for any political outcome you don't like.
Epiceneguy
Distinguished Member

Post by Epiceneguy »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kin ... tion,_1979

I know Wikipedia isn't the greatest source but I'm sure that it'll suffice, go through previous elections and it'll demonstrate that historically Scotland is a lot more conservative and liberal than this one current point in history would have us believe.
For the record I've very rarely been represented by my preferred vote, 😉.

Once again back to the topic, Alex Salmon in a kilt 😁
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

The only way to effect major change in this country is via the ballot box. The ballot box has spoken. There is a majority in the Scottish Parliament for a referendum. Any motion to hold one is likely to be over-ruled by a numpty elected by another country. Could you please tell us how we can get independence in this so-called democracy? With the permission of England? When democracy is denied, extremist resort to violence - Boris is giving these creeps an excuse. But he is denying any peaceful means of achieving it. The Scots have no say in their destiny. Wow. When votes no longer count for anything you invite anarchy. Not a union - an empire. Who voted Tory on the past is irrelevant to the current problem. The Scots did not elect this UK Government and it is this UK Government that is the problem.
Epiceneguy
Distinguished Member

Post by Epiceneguy »

'Sighs deeply'

The prime-minister of the United Kingdom is not the leader of another country (even if he is a prat) just because you didn't vote for them, if that was the case I'd be constantly being ruled by the leader of another country! Lets not forget that it was because of Northern Irish parties that we got the Tory Teresa May so to claim other countries in the Union have no say or power is absurd.

Not everybody who votes for the SNP wants independence, generally there just isn't any credible opposition, it may surprise you that I have voted SNP in the past, not because I want independence but they were the best of a bad set of choices. So just because they have a slender majority doesn't mean that they have a mandate to rip an entire country apart.

"Who voted Tory on the past is irrelevant to the current problem" it was you who highlighted the 2/3 historically figures, so to disregard history just because it doesn't suit your argument seems a tad petulant if you don't mind me saying, ignoring facts is just one step away from 'Fake news', :roll: .

Once again back to the original thread :D

Charles De Gaulle with a bustle :lol:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Franco in fishnets?

Bill Clinton in a blue velvet dress?

How about Trump in a tutu?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

rivegauche wrote: ... out of the EU against our will.
So IF Scotland becomes independant and IF they re-join the EU, what will the land border look like? A big fence and check points?
Charlie
Last edited by Uncle Al on Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quoting format, included original poster
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Epiceneguy
Distinguished Member

Post by Epiceneguy »

Seems timely

HAPPY ST ANDREWS DAY 🥃😁🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

:D :cheers: :thumleft: :hooray: :pint:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :santa: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

Epiceneguy wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:02 pm Seems timely

HAPPY ST ANDREWS DAY 🥃😁🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
Sláinte
Sláinte.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

Charlie wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:09 pm
rivegauche wrote: ... out of the EU against our will.
So IF Scotland becomes independent and IF they re-join the EU, what will the land border look like? A big fence and check points?
Charlie
We would rebuild Hadrian's Wall and the forts along its length to form the border, as that's a good way of saving money (canny us Scots).

Of course there would be immigration, with EU and Sassenach queues.

Having spent many years being refused Scottish money in England, th English £ will be banned and only Scottish notes (even if the £ is used) or Euro's being accepted. You may trade in English Pounds at the border for Euro's or Scottish £'s at the current exchange rate (it will not be favourable to you).

Electricity, water, etc. exports will now be controlled too, so you may find your costs rising (it currently costs more for Scottish companies to upload to the national grid than those down south (some of whom are actually subsidised)) so that is fair enough.

You can take your Nuclear Weapons; we don't want them.

The NC500 will be closed to English registered vehicles during the English Holidays, but available at other times by the purchase of a vignette.

We will build our own subsea link to tour Celtic brothers and in doing so will clear out Beaufort's Dyke and deposit the contents in the Albert Dock in
London. So you can have your own back.

As per the lesson learned by Stu, I should note that some of this is in fun.... :lol: