World leaders and skirts and apparently a conversation on Scotland becoming separate from the United Kingdom 😏

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: World leaders and skirts

Post by Bodycon »

Hate to rain on anyone's parade, however the British Royal Family and hangers on, are in no way World Leaders.

Parasites is the apt description.

Quite like Meghan's skirt though, apparently she has the same one in several colours.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Don't like her skirts in general. She seems to wear a lot of pencil skirts and they are too tight in the knee area. It's just my preference though, there are some on this site that enjoy them and that's their prerogative.

As for the Royals, well, I think that the politicians, and most especially the house of lords, has become a bigger set of parasites. They seemed to have latched onto the MP role like shameless blood sucking ticks and are proving as difficult to get rid of.

Oliver Cromwell denounced the Parliament of his time when he dissolved it: “It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place, which you have dishonored by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your practice of every vice; ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government; ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would like Esau sell your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas betray your God for a few pieces of money.

Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not possess? Ye have no more religion than my horse; gold is your God; which of you have not barter'd your conscience for bribes? Is there a man amongst you that has the least care for the good of the Commonwealth?

Ye sordid prostitutes have you not defil'd this sacred place, and turn'd the Lord's temple into a den of thieves, by your immoral principles and wicked practices? Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation; you were deputed here by the people to get grievances redress'd, are yourselves gone! So! Take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors.

In the name of God, go!

-Oliver Cromwell on the Dissolution of Parliament (April 20, 1653)”

I think that our MP's have got that gold fever and our Mr Cromwell would shake his head in sorrow.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Cromwell could be addressing many of today's legislative bodies with that speech. It appears once again, that there is nothing new under the sun, or as it were, inside government buildings...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Strewth that man could speak! We need more of that sort of thing in our pitiful modern world!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Bodycon wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:18 pm Hate to rain on anyone's parade, however the British Royal Family and hangers on, are in no way World Leaders.

Parasites is the apt description.
They are an insurance policy against a dictatorship.  If a dictator ever came to power, the royal family would form a rallying point for those opposing him (or her).  Like most insurance policies, they appear to be a waste of money  ...until the unthinkable happens.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

pelmut wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:28 pmThey are an insurance policy against a dictatorship.  If a dictator ever came to power, the royal family would form a rallying point for those opposing him (or her).  Like most insurance policies, they appear to be a waste of money  ...until the unthinkable happens.
The problem is is that dictators don't happen overnight, they happen over the course of years -- frequently with the assent of the citizenry. Look at the US as an example. It took from 1980 to 2016 for the inevitable to happen, culminating with the idiocy of 2021-01-06. Russia, similarly, had a close call with Yeltsin after the Soviet union imploded and Putin now. Even the UK had a nasty brush with danger -- which it's not certain the Queen could have stopped -- with Thatcher and her far-right policies which mirrored the ones of the one heading the USA at the time and which started the slide into the madness of today. And, of course, the textbook one of the re-ascendency of Germany after the Treaty of Versailles.

Having a bulwark is a good idea, but those need testing from time to time lest they get soft.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

pelmut wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:28 pm They are an insurance policy against a dictatorship.  If a dictator ever came to power, the royal family would form a rallying point for those opposing him (or her).  Like most insurance policies, they appear to be a waste of money  ...until the unthinkable happens.
Interesting that the discussion has turned to Cromwell who revolted and executed Charles I and ran the country as a republic, only to pop off and allow Charles II to be crowned. Of course, we then have another revolution, where James (VII and II) was overthrown.....and on it goes.....

They are neither a rallying point, or any use for anything, other than perhaps propping up the tourist industry. We would be better off buying bitcoins as an insurance policy than relying on that lot.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Bodycon wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:16 pm They are neither a rallying point, ...
You would be surprised at the proportion of the population that still supports the concept of royalty.  I'm not saying everyone supports the individuals or their behaviour or that the individuals would be capable of saving us from a dictator on their own.  If things went unthinkably badly, the concept of royalty would be the alternative around which people would rally, even those who currently can't see why we still have a royal family.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

skirtingtoday wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:51 pm Reasons - fairly obvious, Harry is at least 6" TALLER than Meghan. Also, why has this not made headlines elsewhere?
Sorry - next time I make a joke I will have to make it clearer that I was joking. Lesson learned. :lol:
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I have one, Sir Robert Peel, English Tory Prime Minister, famous as founder of the Metropolitan Police.
He could be dressed as his beloved Queen Victoria.
Just conjured that image and just about to prepare dinner.
Not the best appetiser.
Steve,
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

bodycon, I get that you are anti-monarchy so you don't need to go on about it. I agree with pelmut, from your northern perch you are unable to feel or see the pro-monarchy element down here. It's not an insignificant movement. You Scots sometimes get blinded by your separatism. BTW, I'm not anti-monarchy, but then I'm not a fan of some of the members of the RF. I'm not a fan of Scotland independence either and I think that swapping England for the EU as your paymasters is lunacy.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

Sinned wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:06 pm bodycon, I get that you are anti-monarchy so you don't need to go on about it. I agree with pelmut, from your northern perch you are unable to feel or see the pro-monarchy element down here. It's not an insignificant movement. You Scots sometimes get blinded by your separatism. BTW, I'm not anti-monarchy, but then I'm not a fan of some of the members of the RF. I'm not a fan of Scotland independence either and I think that swapping England for the EU as your paymasters is lunacy.
Doesn't appear that I can as I have been censored....however I will answer your points above and say no more.

I am born Scottish and currently live here. I was actually Christened in the Church of England. I visit the area my mother was from (East of Beverley) regularly (I will be in Hull next week) and lived and worked in Hull for a few years. So half of my cousins, with only a couple of aged aunts and uncles left, and many friends are Yorkshire / English, not to mention the other nationalities that make up our extended family.. You judge me quickly but with no understanding, just banal assumptions, which is disappointing. My feelings on the Monarchy are not based on any form of Nationalism, but based on witnessing years of behaviour.

As for Independence WTF has that got to do with you?

Lets leave that all there and move on.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Bodycon wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:32 pm As for Independence WTF has that got to do with you?
I presume you are referring to independence of Scotland from (at least) England, where I and Dennis live.  In that case, we should have just as much say in whether England becomes independent of Scotland as the Scots should have in whether Scotland becomes independent of England.  That's what it has to do with us.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

pelmut wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:33 pm I presume you are referring to independence of Scotland from (at least) England, where I and Dennis live.  In that case, we should have just as much say in whether England becomes independent of Scotland as the Scots should have in whether Scotland becomes independent of England.  That's what it has to do with us.
Scotland is only joined with England as part of the UK.

If England, Wales or NI wanted to leave the UK, then I should not get a vote in any referendum, as I reside in Scotland and it is up to them. It is not up to them to have a say on any other members decisions, that is why I am questioning what is has to do with Dennis, or you, or anyone else outwith Scotland. If I still lived in Yorkshire, I would not expect a vote.

In 1986 and again in 2013 the Falkland Islands held a referendum on their relationship with the UK (Protectorate Status), were you upset that you didn't get a vote, do you think you should have?
tbryant2k12

Post by tbryant2k12 »

In discussing Prince Harry, he is likely to only one who has worn a skirt in the form of a kilt. Yes, I know some don't think a kilt is a skit, heard some Scots are adamant it isn't. But by the definition of a skit, the kilt fits the description.