What's in a Name

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What's in a Name

Post by moonshadow »

*shakes head*

I still think it's an insult to human intelligence...

But then again, considering what goes on around the world daily... maybe not.

Well, maybe I'm just going to be a dinosaur, but a skirt is a skirt, a kilt is a kilt, a purse is a purse, leggings are leggings, a blouse is a blouse, so on and so forth.

And slack is looseness.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

moonshadow wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:05 pm And slack is looseness.
Add to that a pump is a means of moving liquid or air :D
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

....and Bull5h1t is dung left by a Male bovine.

As a famous rowing coach once remarked about his cycle ride along the riverbank between Henley-on-Thames and Hambledon lock, megaphone in hand yelling at some crew or other....' Cow5h1t on the towpath and bull5h1t on the water!'

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Coder wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:28 pm
Really? I was under the impression a pump was a shoe women wear. Whoa! I learned something new today! :lol:
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

JeffB1959 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:34 pm
Really? I was under the impression a pump was a shoe women wear. Whoa! I learned something new today! :lol:
Yep! The things you can learn by reading the internet :D

Moon's comment, and the title of this thread made me start to wonder how many clothing items are out there that have double meanings like slack(s)/pumps. Braces - do they hold your clothes up, or keep a wall from toppling?
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Coder wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:18 pm
JeffB1959 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:34 pm
Yep! The things you can learn by reading the internet :D

Moon's comment, and the title of this thread made me start to wonder how many clothing items are out there that have double meanings like slack(s)/pumps. Braces - do they hold your clothes up, or keep a wall from toppling?
In the UK, braces are metalwork worn on the teeth to help them grow straighter :mrgreen:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:18 pmBraces - do they hold your clothes up, or keep a wall from toppling?
Or align teeth...

It turns out that some forms of pumps are worn as footwear by men, mainly in the long-obsolete world of ballroom dance.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

new2skirts wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:43 pm In the UK, braces are metalwork worn on the teeth to help them grow straighter :mrgreen:
Wait - I thought braces were suspenders (in America)?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:37 pmWait - I thought braces were suspenders (in America)?
Yes, but suspenders are something entirely different to our brethren on the Eastern side of the Pond.

I do so love the English language and its unique power to divide. "Brothers divided by a common language."
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by Stu » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:38 pm

But human nature says that males wearing traditionally female garb, especially skirts, is a powerful taboo which evokes strong feelings by both sexes.
Stu, my sense is that this is not "human nature" but social conditioning. We are too quick to attribute things to 'human nature' as a declaration of a baseline fact and as such unalterable. If so, our "human nature" must have done a few flip flops along our history line lest we had a lot of unnatural men for many a century!

As to the name, indeed we are fickle creatures susceptible to plays on and nuances of image in words as applied to a particular item. So, yes you would probably convert a few guys to accepting "skirts" with another name, but the wrap of cloth is still 'just a skirt' -- which is exactly what I tell folks who ask about my "kilt". I am even so provocative at times to proclaim a kilt is just a type of skirt!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Faldaguy wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:29 am I am even so provocative at times to proclaim a kilt is just a type of skirt!
Provocative is correct and if it fell on the wrong ears, disastrous.
It is rather ironic that the "kilt", skirt or whatever, is widely perceived as the most masculine of garments.
In many respects out ranking trousers or pants.
Sorry but I agree with Moon that re-naming will actually effect a solution.
Steve.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

new2skirts wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:43 pm In the UK, braces are metalwork worn on the teeth to help them grow straighter
Wait.... Brits have straight teeth? :lol:

:hide:

Actually, us Appalachians have no room to talk.... I certainly don't! :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Epiceneguy
Distinguished Member

Post by Epiceneguy »

The amount of Scotsmen I know who get wound up when you call a kilt a skirt and I've never met one who could rationally explain the difference, lol.
So the term skirt does tend to be fully connected in peoples minds with femininity (outside engineering), so a rebrand would definitely be required unless the whole population wakes up with common sense, lol.
When life gives you lemons, slice them and put them into your G&T!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Epiceneguy wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:07 pm So the term skirt does tend to be fully connected in peoples minds with femininity (outside engineering), so a rebrand would definitely be required unless the whole population wakes up with common sense, lol.
Tree skirt, bed skirt, and building skirt, skirt the issue. Oddly enough "pants" exists on it's own except when used as a verb :P
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Coder wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:54 pm Tree skirt, bed skirt, and building skirt, skirt the issue. Oddly enough "pants" exists on it's own except when used as a verb :P
Pants What my dog does when e is hot!!! :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.