Hiking Skirts - Who Wears What?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Hiking Skirts - Who Wears What?

Post by Bodycon »

I have a couple of hiking skirts:

Columbia Saturday Trail.
This used to be a skort, but I cut out the shorts as they defeat the purpose of ventilation.
(not me modelling it)
Columbia Saturday Trail.png
Very comfortable, good pockets back and front and plenty movement (stretch) in the lightweight material.
The fit was slightly larger than size, but that's not unusual, I generally wear it with a webbing belt.
I didn't really chose this colour, it just happened to be on sale, so it chose me really.

The other is a tad brighter a Direct Alpine Jasmine Skirt, colour is called Petrol.
You do tend to be noticed in this if you are popping into Tesco on the way home from a walk.
Direct Alpine Jasmine.jpg
This one is bang on size.
Some interesting features, it has a drawstring at the hem, which allows it to be pulled in avoiding blowing up in the wind or to keep you warmer. Another drawstring pulls up one side ( I have no idea why - maybe for climbing) and a zip releases a pleat on the other side, which I have done while cycling in it. It has two leg pockets with elastic which can hold a phone etc. I was suspicious at first, but the leg position doesn't cause any issues. Water resistant and stretchy, though does get wet in a downpour, but again very lightweight and comfortable.

Bare legged in the summer unless it's a tick area or the Midgies are out, but now wearing thermal tights.

What do others wear when out in the wilds?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hiking Skirts - Who Wears What?

Post by FLbreezy »

I recently got a Sport Kilt hiking kilt in a 21" length to keep it above the knee and I've been wearing it constantly because it's so comfortable and looks nice. I'm saving up for a few more.

I've tried a hiking skort but I felt like it constrained my leg movement a bit.
RADIATE

Post by RADIATE »

Personal fave is the Mountain Hardwear Elkommando kilt, discontinued 12 years ago. They come up on ebay occasionally, usually in smaller sizes. Wear mine several times a week for hiking, weather permitting. Eventually it will wear out, so always on the lookout for alternatives. List posted below. The LightHeart Gear would be my next choice.

UT Kilts - "The Athlete" - polyester/spandex
DNKE - techlite rogue - 50/50 cotton polyester ripstop
LightHeart Gear - Hiking Skirt with Pockets
Purple Rain Adventure Skirts - Adventure Kilt

https://www.utkilts.com/the-athlete-gray-workout-kilt/
https://www.damnnearkiltem.com/products ... 5318446191
https://lightheartgear.com/products/hik ... -pockets-1
https://www.purplerainskirts.com/hiking ... -steelgrey
Jayce

Post by Jayce »

Just like FLbreezy (above) I use Sport Kilt for my walking/hiking (sometimes running) Kilt. I have three so far. Two Irish related Tartans and a Lindsay Tarten - in honor of Mom.
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

I do alot of hiking and walking on trails with my dog,
So i have a kilts that i wear when hiking.

I find there better then skirt for me dew to stronger material
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
skirtedbrit
Distinguished Member

Post by skirtedbrit »

Similar here, I have a Craghoppers Nosilife lightweight skirt for warmer weather hillwalking and longer, warmer skirts for cooler conditions. Travelled widely in the uk and scandinavia with absolutely no problems.
I was going to buy another Nosilife but they changed the design. My skirt has pockets on the front so the contents dont cause friction against your body, but the new skirt has pockets on the outside of the legs so the contents would be constantly rubbing against your thighs. Really stupid, imagine doing 15 miles with your car keys etc irritating your legs. If it aint broke, dont fix it. Do you think the fashionistas would take note?
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

skirtedbrit wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:17 am ...but the new skirt has pockets on the outside of the legs so the contents would be constantly rubbing against your thighs. Really stupid, imagine doing 15 miles with your car keys etc irritating your legs?
Sounds a bit like the Direct Alpine Jasmine Skirt I have, though I don't find that the pockets on the side cause any issues and have had a phone on one side and car keys in the other for a full day.
e2k2houck

Post by e2k2houck »

I wear my Lightheart hiking skirts all the time, except at work, need to wear a city supplied uniform, and on the motorcycle. I also wear Purplerain Adventure hiking skirts, mostly when I run. For the same reason I wear skirts hiking or backpacking. I also have a couple Purplerain hiking kilts.
quasisp571

Post by quasisp571 »

For me, it is my blue denim mini skirts. I pair them up with polo shirts and hiking shoes. And below is a picture of me wearing one of my skirts -- and it is one of the few that I have when I go hiking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

I have been focusing on this area for my skirt wearing cause it seems you get more of a pass when you are physically active.

I find the sports kilt Hiking kilts to be awesome. Pockets and comfort.

Purple rain kilts with a drawstring are nice and I run in them.

lightheartgear skirts are co for table and have great storage.

Finally, Jwalking designs makes great kilts and skorts for running
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Personally, I just wear skirts, unless I choose otherwise, the activity is only partly relevant.
As guys, we must get off the idea that we need permission or have specific reason for dressing as we please.
In terms of hiking, your footwear and general fitness is a damn sight more important than what is around your legs anyway.
Steve.
stephanie53

Post by stephanie53 »

I would love to have and wear a hiking skirt, but the price is not workable within my budget
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

stephanie53 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:32 pm I would love to have and wear a hiking skirt, but the price is not workable within my budget
Ah there are plenty things that we'd all love to have, budgets just are not nice things.
However, Stephanie53, there is no reason that the lack of a "hiking" skirt should stop you striding off into wherever.
My first one was a pleated tennis skirt which was perfectly comfortable for the season and terrain involved.
As I said there are greater priorities, especially your feet.
Otherwise, wear what you want, stay safe and enjoy.
Steve.
kiltguy1789

Post by kiltguy1789 »

I like the 5.11 Tactical Kilt because of the light weight in warm weather, and the pockets. I shortened it to avoid the hem down to my knees. The downside is the lack of size adjustment. After I lost weight I put in velcro and ignored the snaps.

I also like the Sportkilt because I could order it with pockets and it comes with velcro for easy adjustment.
Tazzmac

Post by Tazzmac »

G'day ..My primary reason for wearing kilts is for hiking and bushwalking usually with the muttleys but my favourite one is basically more skirt than kilt (although it is a kilt ).. I have three stored brand new in box ones ones and one that I wear a lot .. They are Mountain Hardware khaki items .. Can't buy them any more unfortunately which is a real shame .. SO COMFORTABLE ...A few pockets , easy to look after , literally drip dry in a very short time . . MH kilts/skirts are awesome ..