Hiking Skirts - Who Wears What?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
SkirtedWalker

Re: Hiking Skirts - Who Wears What?

Post by SkirtedWalker »

Offkilter69 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:50 pmThe skirt is lighter and a bit shorter but also hangs better. Its negative: without hips to hold it up, the wide waistband tends to fold and ride down. From a suggestion given on this forum, I purchased a yoga pants belt that solves the problem.
I agree about my preference being the skirt over the kilt. I use the Arcade Belts Men's Belts from REI. I fold the waistband over it. Comfortable. I also find that my backpack hip belt also keeps the skirt in place.

A great way around this is the Purple Rain Adventure Dress. It solves this waistband issue. The Adventure Dress' weight-to-coverage and comfort are the best of all skirt or dress options for walking, hiking, backpacking, driving, around the house, and everyday wear. This is an ideal unisex dress. I just posted an Adventure Dress review. https://www.trailspace.com/gear/purple- ... ure-dress/
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

SkirtedWalker wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:33 pm A great way around this is the Purple Rain Adventure Dress. It solves this waistband issue. The Adventure Dress' weight-to-coverage and comfort are the best of all skirt or dress options for walking, hiking, backpacking, driving, around the house, and everyday wear. This is an ideal unisex dress. I just posted an Adventure Dress review. https://www.trailspace.com/gear/purple- ... ure-dress/
For anyone who needs an excuse, I notice that purplerainskirts.com is running a 20% discount code offer on all its skirts and dresses this weekend (ending on April 23). I've just ordered another :-)
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

And I thought "hiking skirts" referred to lifting them.
Last edited by Brad on Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Brad wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:29 pm And if thought "hiking skirts" referred to lifting them.
No -- that's 'hoiking' skirts. Or it used to be.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

While I have a Columbia skirt I usually wear one of my Skorts that I bought from Amazon

SkirtedWalker

Post by SkirtedWalker »

geron wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:28 amI've just ordered another :-)
I also ordered another skirt during the sale, again in stellar blue. Wanted to order another stellar blue dress, but that was sold out.
e2k2houck

Post by e2k2houck »

Jetblasted wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:16 pm I have three adventure kilts from purple rain skirts out of Oregon, USA. They’re great. I wear them all the time in the summer, especially when working in my garden or cutting grass, etc. They’re made of a lightweight polyester and that’s their best feature, in my mind.

One thing they’re advertised for having is snaps that convert the kilt into walking shorts. They look so much like a tennis or golf skirt, that I refer to mind as a kilt-skirt.

https://www.purplerainskirts.com/shop
If you go all the way to the last picture on the black Adventure skirt, that's me on the beach for a run
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

e2k2houck wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:59 pm
If you go all the way to the last picture on the black Adventure skirt, that's me on the beach for a run
Nice! How’d you get involved with them?
e2k2houck

Post by e2k2houck »

ScotL wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:21 am
Mandy saw my post, that picture, and asked me if it was ok to use it. I told her of course, The same with Lightheart gear, if you look at their hiking skirts, that's me in the purple skirt.
https://lightheartgear.com/products/hik ... -pockets-1
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

e2k2houck wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 3:17 am
ScotL wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:21 am
Mandy saw my post, that picture, and asked me if it was ok to use it. I told her of course, The same with Lightheart gear, if you look at their hiking skirts, that's me in the purple skirt.
Wow, you’re a celebrity! That’s awesome. I see why they picked your pictures. Totally has that hiker/outdoorsmen vibe. I know when I saw your picture I felt encouraged to try them. Maybe a coincidence but the first skirt I bought from them was purple.

Where are you hiking in that lightheartgear picture?
e2k2houck

Post by e2k2houck »

Rocky Mountain National Park
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

e2k2houck wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 3:17 am Mandy saw my post, that picture, and asked me if it was ok to use it. I told her of course, The same with Lightheart gear, if you look at their hiking skirts, that's me in the purple skirt.
My compliments!

And then a company which has realized that it can make business by also positioning their skirts for men.

As they say:

"Hiking Skirts for Women and Men
Originally crafted for women, our designs also serve as hiking skirts for men. Hiking skirts with pockets provide equal opportunities to all who enjoy hiking, backpacking, and camping. Hiking skirts provide easy ventilation on the trail. The length provides modesty, while the A-line flare will not encumber your stride. "
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
e2k2houck

Post by e2k2houck »

Plus I like supporting U.S. companies that make their stuff here in the States. I also like the way they fit and feel. I like the Lightheart skirts for hiking and everyday and the Purple Rain skirts for running and everyday.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

e2k2houck wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 3:19 pm Plus I like supporting U.S. companies that make their stuff here in the States. I also like the way they fit and feel. I like the Lightheart skirts for hiking and everyday and the Purple Rain skirts for running and everyday.
Do you have a preference for their kilts or their skirts? I only got the kilt version cause of course, kilts are for men and skirts are for women. Haha
SkirtedWalker

Post by SkirtedWalker »

I recommend the skirt. Skirts are lighter weight than kilts, and skirts provide just as much freedom of motion. They also come in more colors. As males, you might need an elastic belt (Arcade belt from REI), which you can place over the skirt’s elastic band on top, folding it over your belt.