Hiking Skirts - Who Wears What?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Jetblasted

Re: Hiking Skirts - Who Wears What?

Post by Jetblasted »

I have three adventure kilts from purple rain skirts out of Oregon, USA. They’re great. I wear them all the time in the summer, especially when working in my garden or cutting grass, etc. They’re made of a lightweight polyester and that’s their best feature, in my mind.

One thing they’re advertised for having is snaps that convert the kilt into walking shorts. They look so much like a tennis or golf skirt, that I refer to mind as a kilt-skirt.

https://www.purplerainskirts.com/shop
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

For hiking, I still have an old Mountain Hardware kilt that is perfect for hiking! Only complaint is that the snaps sometimes dig in under a pack waist belt, but that can usually be adjusted for.

I also have a bunch of athletic skirts. Most are mid thigh, no pleats. Great for running as well as other stuff. One is from runningkilts.com , the rest are female marketed. I have quite a few that were originally sold as "lacrosse kilts" as these generally don't come with a built in lining, and I can wear what I want underneath.
Chris Schumann

Post by Chris Schumann »

I am also hiking in skirts often from spring to autumn.
Most time i take one of my "Motion Ten"-Skirts from "engelbert Strauss".
It`s a german company who sells especially working clothes.
These skirts are very durable and comfortable for me...

https://www.engelbert-strauss.de/kleide ... -1200.html
It's harder to shatter a preconception than an atom (Albert Einstein)
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Chris Schumann wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:53 pm Most time i take one of my "Motion Ten"-Skirts from "engelbert Strauss".
It`s a german company who sells especially working clothes.
Those look really good!
SkirtedWalker

Post by SkirtedWalker »

Purple Rain Skirts
Been wearing this skirt for many years. Mandy Bland produces the superior hiking skirt product. I wear the skirt for hiking, exercise walking, backpacking, driving, around the house, walking the dog, working outside, and sometimes out shopping. I’ve purchased and have 8 skirts, two kilts, and the dress. The skirt is the lightest and most functional. However, the dress works well as a simple single clothing item for hiking, backpacking, driving ,etc.

I maintain a website specific to men and hiking skirts, see: https://skirtedwalker.wordpress.com/

73/gus
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

I'm also a big Purple Rain fan. I prefer the skirts to the kilts, I have a good variety of them. They're so great in the hot Florida weather, I'm always wearing them when I'm outside working in the heat.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

FLbreezy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:17 pm I'm also a big Purple Rain fan. I prefer the skirts to the kilts, I have a good variety of them. They're so great in the hot Florida weather, I'm always wearing them when I'm outside working in the heat.
What’s the difference? I almost don’t want to know cause now I’m gonna want one. Hahaha
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

ScotL wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:18 am What’s the difference? I almost don’t want to know cause now I’m gonna want one. Hahaha
Kilt:
- longer
- bottom snaps to look shorts-like (never use 'em)
- internal drawstring on the waist, 2.5" high
- extra fold of fabric in front ('kilt' apron)

Skirt:
- shorter, bottom of waist to hem is about 2.5" shorter than the kilt
- no drawstring, just stretchy waist, 3.5" high

Sometimes the skirt has more colors available, it seems to vary based on what she has in stock to work with. I picked up a blue tartan one that's soft-lined for cold weather.

I feel like the kilt is probably "easier" to wear out in public places because of the length and baggy-ness.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Thank you for that. After wearing a few hiking kilts/skirts out running in the wee early hours of the morning, I find the ones that go to my knees to make me feel more comfortable. At least right now. I have a small purple rain kilt (figuring out sizing) that’s a tad on the small side and it’s more revealing in a not obscene revelation kind of way. I’ll grow into it but right now, the exposure coupled with the kilt is a bit much for this newbie.
SkirtedWalker

Post by SkirtedWalker »

Glad to hear you purchased the Purple Rain kilt. I wear an XL skirt, and I’ve never had an issue with it being too revealing - even in windy conditions. Took me a while to feel fully OK out on my early morning walks. I also enjoy wearing the Purple Rain dress, which is great to have a single clothing item when backpacking. Mandy Bland designs and produces great products at reasonable prices.
quasisp571

Post by quasisp571 »

quasisp571 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:46 am For me, it is my blue denim mini skirts. I pair them up with polo shirts and hiking shoes. And below is a picture of me wearing one of my skirts -- and it is one of the few that I have when I go hiking.
And here is another recent picture I have of me in a skirt. As you can see, these blue denim mini skirts pair quite well with my polo shirts...
Skirted Again!.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

ScotL wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:05 am I have a small purple rain kilt (figuring out sizing) that’s a tad on the small side and it’s more revealing in a not obscene revelation kind of way. I’ll grow into it but right now, the exposure coupled with the kilt is a bit much for this newbie.
My first Purple Rain purchase was the skirt, then I eventually bought the “kilt” for comparison. First of all, the “kilt” is a faux wrap skirt, not a kilt. There’s nothing kilt-like about it, as you know. It’s just semantics to make guys feel better about a skirt purchase.

That being said, I prefer the skirt over the kilt mainly for the reason you stated: not enough coverage, at least when sitting. I’m not thrilled with the way it “poofs” out at the sides either. The extra material with the front wrap just makes it look too bulky yet it’s lacking by not extending across the thighs far enough. The skirt is lighter and a bit shorter but also hangs better. Its negative: without hips to hold it up, the wide waistband tends to fold and ride down. From a suggestion given on this forum, I purchased a yoga pants belt that solves the problem.

To me, the best variation would be adding a drawstring waistband to the skirt, but Mandy stated that she couldn’t do that specialization for some reason. Either way, she sells a nice product, and I like supporting small businesses— which defines most kilt makers as well.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Offkilter69 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:50 pm ...without hips to hold it up, the wide waistband tends to fold and ride down.
I often wind up folding the waistband over on the skirt, makes a big difference.
Offkilter69
Distinguished Member

Post by Offkilter69 »

FLbreezy wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:08 pm
Offkilter69 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:50 pm ...without hips to hold it up, the wide waistband tends to fold and ride down.
I often wind up folding the waistband over on the skirt, makes a big difference.
Actually I do that too— good follow up suggestion.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Offkilter69 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:50 pm
There’s nothing kilt-like about it, as you know. It’s just semantics to make guys feel better about a skirt purchase.

To me, the best variation would be adding a drawstring waistband to the skirt, but Mandy stated that she couldn’t do that specialization for some reason. Either way, she sells a nice product, and I like supporting small businesses— which defines most kilt makers as well.
Could not agree with you more about the reason it’s called a “kilt.”

I hear you can add your own drawstring if you have basic sewing skills.