A tale of two movies

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: A tale of two movies

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:30 pmI've never watched the 1959 movie, but there is no way a floor sweeper would be practical on such a voyage. Shoot, I've got a few skirts that hang just above my ankles and I have to hike them up a little just to climb a flight of stairs.
Ha! It's all in how you deal with the things. On my first day in Savannah, GA I had to negotiate a couple of sets of "Historic Steps" (conspicuously labelled, "Use at Your Own Risk") which in an ankle-length skirt I negotiated deftly and with grace (some might even add "aplomb"). My hostess was wearing jeans and flip-flops and had more difficulty than I did. I had her actually fall back a bit and watch me take a flight, and she was astonished how easily it went.

One of the guys here has commented on a historically-clad all-woman crew on a canal-barge dealing with all the canal-side appurtenances like ladders, locks, and whatnot with grace and dignity.

Older garments are practical for use in the real world. We make more of the notion that they weren't because we've been indoctrinated with the notion. Experience points up that the indoctrination is precisely that -- indoctrination -- and largely garbage. With practise, I can do anything in a long skirt (or dress) that can be done whilst wearing tr*users.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:01 am Older garments are practical for use in the real world. We make more of the notion that they weren't because we've been indoctrinated with the notion. Experience points up that the indoctrination is precisely that -- indoctrination -- and largely garbage. With practise, I can do anything in a long skirt (or dress) that can be done whilst wearing tr*users.
Fair enough Mr. Friend, but you must at least agree, a floor sweeper has no place in a crawl space! :wink:

At least not mine anyway... there are places where you have you suck in your belly to clear the floor jobs above...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:47 pm And obviously, movies like Braveheart (still haven't seen it) or Gladiator give a different outlook on the skirt, though in Braveheart's case most would argue a kilt is a kilt, not a skirt.
Sorry Coder, but oh no they did not. Braveheart, at a stretch, may have helped to make kilts more fashionable but it did nothing to make men in skirts more acceptable. I cannot rightly say what Gladiator did except make a lot of money.
I guess both movies were great entertainment as long as you could take a lot of salt with the history bits.
The blue faces were more comical than some of the "Scottish" accents.
Spoiler alert, the English are the baddies!
denimini wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:47 pm Why not indeed. Agent 99 used to wear a mini skirt.
I had to look that one up Denimini. It brought back memories but Get Smart was never popular over here. My two favourite girl agents were Emma Peel of the Avengers and Batgirl, Barbara Gordon.
Hmmm, I also wonder what our dearly departed Mr Connery would have thought of the Bond Skirt outfit or Moneypenny for that matter.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:32 amFair enough Mr. Friend, but you must at least agree, a floor sweeper has no place in a crawl space! :wink:

At least not mine anyway... there are places where you have you suck in your belly to clear the floor jobs above...
Indeed. I also regard tight crawlspaces as exemplars of bad design that should be done away with. Either provide adequate work space for things that need maintenance or fix them so they cannot break.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

crfriend wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:17 pm That said, Hollywood has been agenda-pushing for decades.
Sure, the agenda of "we want to make loads of money making films we think people want to watch". As such I think they reflect society more than set any agenda.

There are certainly people who make films with the idea of changing society, but they don't work at Hollywood, they make independent films.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

crfriend wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:01 am [...]
One of the guys here has commented on a historically-clad all-woman crew on a canal-barge dealing with all the canal-side appurtenances like ladders, locks, and whatnot with grace and dignity.
Just before Christmas I spent a day on a narrowboat dressed in an ankle length skirt with a nice warm petticoat beneath.  We negotiated the Caen Hill lock flight and I had no trouble at all with my appurtenances.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.