A tale of two movies

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

A tale of two movies

Post by Coder »

First off - sigh I'm not sure this discussion is relevant. However, I'm very interested in how men and women interact in movies when fashion is involved, and these two particular movies highlight what has changed. If this should be moved to "Off Topic", then whisk it away!

About a month ago I watched "Journey to the Center of the Earth" - 1959 - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052948/ and a female character went along with the explorers into the earth. What did she wear? A floor sweeper, the entire journey. Nothing was said. She followed the men, never complained about her attire, and no one made any special mention of it. The only thing they were "aghast" about was the notion of a woman going on a dangerous hiking trip.

Fast forward to 2021 - "Jungle Cruise" - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0870154/, which is supposed to take place in 1916. The female lead chooses to wear pants to the jungle, and the lead character pokes fun at her. He calls her "Pants" throughout the show, other characters are surprised she's wearing pants.

I find the choice of attire interesting in both cases - the first seems awfully impractical, but in the end she made it through. The second because they used the pants as a running joke and highlighted the double standard that existed back then.

I often wonder - will little things like this sink into people's minds about the variability of fashion - and even men adopting skirts? Or am I expecting too much from a PotC clone (well, the bad guys seemed like they were ripped right out of that movie franchise)?
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A tale of two movies

Post by john62 »

Not a chance Coder.

John
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

The first rule of thumb for the Media is the old phrase: Suspension of Disbelief-- logic be gone regardless of facts.
May you enjoy some wishful thinking!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:20 am
I often wonder - will little things like this sink into people's minds about the variability of fashion - and even men adopting skirts?
Hi Coder,
I'd answer that with some cautious qualifications and maybe a touch of optimism.
Who knows where the next big fashion "hit" will spring from or what may inspire and drive it forward?
Caprice is at it's very heart and cold logic, apart from the potential commercial gain, need not apply.
How much of the current vogue for kilts was due in part to movies like Highlander and Braveheart?
Could another iteration of Robin Hood cause a surge in demand for men's tights or even tunic dresses?
It is fashion, and staying in cinema speak, "Never Say Never Again"!
OO7 in a flouncy skirt and heels, there is a thought and why not?
Steve.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by STEVIE » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:07 pm

"Never Say Never Again"!
OO7 in a flouncy skirt and heels, there is a thought and why not?
Steve.

I'll be watching for the sequel, or should it be sequins. :roll:

Maybe Alan Ritchson can give Jack Reacher a new look too! 8)
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

STEVIE wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:07 am

How much of the current vogue for kilts was due in part to movies like Highlander and Braveheart?
Could another iteration of Robin Hood cause a surge in demand for men's tights or even tunic dresses?

Steve.
Depends on which version you watch. Robin of Sherwood ( ITV 1984) had what look like drainpipe trousers. Russel Crowe's 2010 Movie seems to feature loose leather "leggings". Robin Hood and his Merry Men (a black and white TV series which I can't locate) unashamedly wore trousers. Only Basil Rathbones 1938 Movie overtly features tights (along with Mel Brooks of course).

With examples like these, hope seems distant!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

greenboots, I don't think that any of the 1960's TV series are available online but here's the Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adven ... TV_series). For those of you in the US you can purchase the whole 143 episode series on DVD https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adventures-Rob ... B002DH20YM.

I also came across a 1953 series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Hoo ... TV_series) with Patrick Troughton ( Dr Who fame ) which I don't remember as I wasn't born until 1954.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.