Tartan school skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Tartan school skirts

Post by Grok »

Yes, the contrasting pleats are interesting.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

JeffB1959 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:00 pm When I think about tartan school skirts, THIS immediately comes to mind....Japanese schoolgirls! I don't think even I could pull off that look and be taken seriously, nor would I try either! :lol:
Jeff, you have such a flair for clothing that you could make this look good. :D

Actually, I think men who are less talented in this regard could make it look good.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Stepping away from the schoolgirl theme I'd consider a personal attempt to carry any teenage fashion trend absurd at best.
I'd put age appropriate considerations ahead of colour coordination when planning an outfit any day.
My only regret is that I wasn't brave enough to follow my own choices when it would have been hip, fab and oh so funky.
The sad fact is that I am not really sure that the boys of today would feel much differently.
Steve.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Grok wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:28 pm
JeffB1959 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:00 pm When I think about tartan school skirts, THIS immediately comes to mind....Japanese schoolgirls! I don't think even I could pull off that look and be taken seriously, nor would I try either! :lol:
Jeff, you have such a flair for clothing that you could make this look good. :D

Actually, I think men who are less talented in this regard could make it look good.
Hmm! Suddenly, I'm intrigued! And, I'll try just about anything once. Sure, I'll see what I can do with this! It might be fun! :lol:
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Now that's where you and I would differ, Steve. Whereas I consider a lot of the teenage fashion puerile at the moment [0] if I did see something in their range worthy of wear I would give it a go. Also I'm not sure what "age appropriate" means. I'm 67 and I'm sure that a lot of what I wear is not age appropriate in that I try to steer clear of what would be considered "old man's wear". I get a fair amount of clothing from my grand-daughter's cast offs. And she goes through good wearable clothing a lot. I try and dress down in age rather than up. As has been said many times on this site - wear what you feel comfortable in and hang what others think!

[0] I have a 17 yo grand-daughter living with us and a 16 yo "goth" grand-daughter living nearby.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

There might be other considerations that would disuade me from wearing a pleated, plaid micro skirt in some situations but not being appropriate for my age is not one.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Guys
I certainly wasn't trying to knock anyone's freedom to choose what they wear.
I often say that comfort is the prime consideration and that needn't be physical.
There is no doubt that "age appropriate", in my own case at least, arises from my own state of mind.
Oddly, that is not to say that it is based on outside opinion either but if I can't be relaxed in a garment that is a deal breaker to me.
Going back to the very origin of the thread that is why I'd avoid a dress Gordon tartan skirt.
The school association and the fact that it is predominantly green anyway just puts me right off from the get go.
The other thing is that I do kind of go out of my way to be "different". So much so that it may be a miracle that I find new clothes at all.
Steve.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I bought myself a very nice short tartan skirt from Next Retail, I’ve worn a few times going out shopping to my local supermarket and had no problems or negative comments. It’s not a school skirt, just a nice all round pleated tartan skirt and is very comfortable to wear. :D
Always happy when wearing a skirt.