Men's Skirt Brand Launch

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Men's Skirt Brand Launch

Post by Dust »

MrSoapsud wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:52 am If you dig in the T&Cs you find "These Terms of Service and any separate agreements whereby we provide you Services shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Hong Kong."
Martin
There was a time not long ago when I was intentionally buying stuff from Hong Kong to support them as they dealt with Communist China...
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Sinned wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:44 pm Just remember that the Asian inch is 10% shorter than ours. Fact.
Experience of buying via a well-known East Asian trading platform does seem to lend support to that. Yet if you look up the Chinese or Asian inch, it turns out to be about 33 mm -- which is significantly larger than the British/US inch (25.4 mm). So we ought to find that Chinese sizes are too large rather than too small. A mystery.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cun_%28unit%29
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Ah, yes, but the centimetre, ah hence the millimetre, is actually 12% shorter than the western centimetre. Again, fact.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

First, in terms of aesthetics, I see potential in a skirt suit for men. This is based as much on the images of themselves that have been posted by members. as on the vendors web site.

I would say that the aesthetic potential of trousers is severely limited, with slacks being just about the limit. On the other hand, even fairly simple skirts-such as worn with skirt suits-can look more dressy than slacks.

Regarding the images in the vendors web site.... In the group photo of men and women, the men look top heavy. Probably because the upper garments were intended to be worn with slacks. If anybody cares to experiment, you might try a knee length skirt (what I think of as "kilt length"), with jackets or waist coats intended for kilting.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yeah, I think that it's been mentioned before that a standard man's jacket is too long for a skirt, the proportions being a bit off. There must be a length that's in between that could suit both skirts and trousers. Or maybe there is a length of skirt that provides the balance. I'll let the experts spend the money to experiment. Maybe patterned material or different colours/shades would work better rather than a block colour as it might produce a different effect and break up the solid look. I'm not an hexpert.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Sinned wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:15 am Ah, yes, but the centimetre, ah hence the millimetre, is actually 12% shorter than the western centimetre. Again, fact.
I wondered before whether you were writing with tongue in cheek, but -- er -- let's just recall that the centimetre is not a preferred unit within SI. And the Système International d'Unités is the same in every country -- including China. Perhaps you are confusing it with some of the other units of measurement which have been popular in our part of the world, such as
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ell
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Sinned wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:24 pm Yeah, I think that it's been mentioned before that a standard man's jacket is too long for a skirt, the proportions being a bit off. There must be a length that's in between that could suit both skirts and trousers. Or maybe there is a length of skirt that provides the balance. I'll let the experts spend the money to experiment. Maybe patterned material or different colours/shades would work better rather than a block colour as it might produce a different effect and break up the solid look. I'm not an expert.
I know I've brought it up before. A long skirt (ankle length or floor sweeper) should work just fine with a standard men's suit jacket or sport coat. I've seen pictures of this, and it seems to work well. I may need to try this myself, now that I said it.

A shorter skirt (or shorts) really needs a shorter jacket. Usually women's skirt suits have a shorter jacket, similar in length to a kilt jacket.

The rule at one time was that a men's jacket was about as long as what was left showing of his pants under the jacket. Said another way, it stopped half way from the tops of his shoulders to the hem of his pants. It does look well proportioned that way.*

With a skirt, it will look similarly proportioned with a jacket stopping half way to the bottom of the skirt. This is roughly the length of a kilt jacket with anything knee length (such as a kilt). You probably don't want to go too short on the jacket and wind up showing the top of the skirt's waist band, however. (This is less of an issue with higher waisted skirts and kilts worn in the traditional manner, up around the belly button.)

Modern formal jackets, especially in modern, "slim fit" type cuts, are sometimes cut a bit shorter than traditional men's suit jackets, and may work better with short skirts. That's something I'm experimenting with now myself. (I should probably start a thread with pics...)

Men's formal vests are usually a decent length to go with knee length skirts, which is another option, one I've used with success.

Light weight casual jackets often end at a good length for wearing with knee length garments as well, so for casual wear, simply find a casual jacket that stops just below your belt, and you should be good.

There are also proportion things that make a tea length skirts (a bit below the knee) look better with heels, etc. By making the leg appear longer, heels can end up looking better with a slightly past the knee skirt, and vice versa.

Mini skirts often end up just throwing proportion out the window to show off more leg. Nuff said.

*This also usually puts the hem near, or just below, the tip of the wearer's thumb when standing with him hands at his sides, fingers extended straight down. It also covers the wearer's butt, something that was once considered necessary for modesty sake, and led to things like coats with tails. This was not seen as necessary over a skirt, just over pants. I would advise against wearing coat tails with a skirt.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

To work well on a man, a skirt suit would demand an emphasis on style. :idea:
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

A lot of valid points, Dust. Proportion is paramount. Minis are difficut to pair with any sort of jacket, being best under a blouse or similar. Of course some girls have pins to die for and the mini then becoms just a pelmet hiding their very tops. Posture then becomes paramount.

It's hard to beat the about knee-length skirt topped with a smartly cut short jacket to the hips, decent hose and sensible shoes.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Kirbstone wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:22 am A lot of valid points, Dust. Proportion is paramount. Minis are difficut to pair with any sort of jacket, being best under a blouse or similar. Of course some girls have pins to die for and the mini then becoms just a pelmet hiding their very tops. Posture then becomes paramount.

It's hard to beat the about knee-length skirt topped with a smartly cut short jacket to the hips, decent hose and sensible shoes.

Tom
I agree. Jackets that are paired with skirts should end around the hip and not much further than that.
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

geron, I know that the SI unit of length is the metre but the cm is simply a subdivision. Of course the OFFICIALLY used unit of length in the East, of which China is a part, is the the metre, and hence cm, but the units UNOFFICIALLY used by the clothing industry there is the one I am talking about. That way there is a reduction in the amount of materials used in manufacture. May be not a lot in any one garment but multiplied by the millions ( billions? ) of garments produced and it is a major cost saving. Hence why garments sourced there are generally too small. And no, I'm not confusing it with any other archaic units.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Sinned wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:49 am geron, I know that the SI unit of length is the metre but the cm is simply a subdivision. Of course the OFFICIALLY used unit of length in the East, of which China is a part, is the the metre, and hence cm, but the units UNOFFICIALLY used by the clothing industry there is the one I am talking about.
The dull academic point I was trying to make it that SI goes in multiples (and submultiples) of 1000, and hence anything centi-, deci-, deca- etc. is deprecated.

However, I'd still like to see some reference which supports your contention that the Chinese inch is shorter than yours or mine. If you're right, it would certainly explain why sizing on Aliexpress etc. tends to run small; yet all the sources I've seen so far have stated that the Chinese inch is longer.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

geron, don't always take me so seriously! Of course it's all very much tongue-in-cheek. My assertions do fit the empirical evidence very well though. How many out there have bought a size 14 skirt made in the East only to find it is too small? Also the Asian sizes tend to stop at size 14, 16 at the most. And don't order anything if it's sized as S, M or L. Caveat Emptor.

As for the multiples of 1000 thing. It may have been designed that way but, whereas the metre is a comfortable practical measure, the millimetre is not so comfortable as being too small, hence the usefulness of the centimetre.

Whereas the bel is not an SI unit its equivalent of watts per sq m, hardly seems to be used. The bel is subdivided by 10 to form the decibel which is the much more common usage. I think that what I am saying is that the 1000 thing doesn't always work.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

Sinned wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:41 pm As for the multiples of 1000 thing. It may have been designed that way but, whereas the metre is a comfortable practical measure, the millimetre is not so comfortable as being too small, hence the usefulness of the centimetre.
Don't put down the mighty mm.
The mm is much more commonly used in Engineering / Construction than the m and cm is never referred to. You set out brickwork the 1/2mm |(if you don't the cumulative error drives you nuts) and yet no builder builds to a tolerance of less than 10mm (1cm) and that is in any direction, so is actually at least 20mm. There are even brickwork dimensioning tables to help you (BDA design note 3).
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

The styles look nice and tame, should be an easy sell for the most part.

I'll have to pass on $150 for an Asian skirt....

Not trying to sound racist or anything, but I've just watched Asian outsourcing destroy basically every single small town I'm aware of.

These days I buy very little "new" stuff. Most of what I buy is second hand, not because I'm hard up, but because it's the only option I really have to basically boycott the lopsided trade imbalance.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.