Men's Skirt Brand Launch

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:33 pm

Re: Men's Skirt Brand Launch

Post by new2skirts »

moonshadow wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:51 am
The styles look nice and tame, should be an easy sell for the most part.

I'll have to pass on $150 for an Asian skirt....

Not trying to sound racist or anything, but I've just watched Asian outsourcing destroy basically every single small town I'm aware of.

These days I buy very little "new" stuff. Most of what I buy is second hand, not because I'm hard up, but because it's the only option I really have to basically boycott the lopsided trade imbalance.
No one's going to buy a pleatless kilt in plain colors made in the Far East, but sold at Kilt prices :mrgreen:

Sadly this will go the way of Midas, MrKirt and all the other startups. Men won't want to be seen in wrap skirts that look cheap but cost a fortune.
Skirts_for_men_women_all._1_900x.png
That "tech" has been on kilts for years. Unless regular celebrities or figures people look up to are seen wearing these garments (not the cliched flamboyant types), this will crash and burn. I give it 6 months :blue:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Grok
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 2128
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:21 am

Re: Men's Skirt Brand Launch

Post by Grok »

The office is a setting that seems very conservative in terms of mens garb. I expect that MIS will gain traction in other settings years before gaining traction in the office.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:46 pm

Re: Men's Skirt Brand Launch

Post by rode_kater »

geron wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:48 pm
The dull academic point I was trying to make it that SI goes in multiples (and submultiples) of 1000, and hence anything centi-, deci-, deca- etc. is deprecated.
Really? Who says that? Decilitres, centimetres, hectometres are everywhere. There are 20 standardised SI prefixes, of which there are part. Centi-, deci- and milli- are some of the oldest prefixes, they're not going away.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 645
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:03 pm

Re: Men's Skirt Brand Launch

Post by Dust »

I'm an advocate for inches and feet myself. They are sensible units that are easy to get your head around. Plus they encourage kids to learn to use fractions.

I've heard that unit systems that arise organically often have units close to the same value, developed independently. The example given was weight, most local systems had something within about 10 percent of a pound. When China was forced to adopt metric, a new named unit arose that was equal to half a kilogram, ~1.1 lb. Even there they reverted to something close.

Some metric units are just painful to work with. No one wants to measure in thousands of mm. Meters are decent for some things, but not a lot. Decimal values are tougher to estimate by eye than half and quarter values. You can do it, it's just a pain.

And with modern computers, working in feet and inches isn't a big deal. The computer does all the dividing by 12 and such for you. There's no reason not to go back to units that are easier on the humans...
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:46 pm

Re: Men's Skirt Brand Launch

Post by rode_kater »

Dust wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:46 pm
I've heard that unit systems that arise organically often have units close to the same value, developed independently. The example given was weight, most local systems had something within about 10 percent of a pound. When China was forced to adopt metric, a new named unit arose that was equal to half a kilogram, ~1.1 lb. Even there they reverted to something close.
This isn't uncommon I imagine. Before NL switched to metric (in 1820!) the pound was ~480g and the ounce was 1/16th of a pound or ~30g. Approximately, because depending on where you were in the country it was anywhere between 430g and 490g. Since then a pound is considered 500g and an ounce is 100g. These aren't official units but everybody knows them. The legal status is interesting: because it's not a legal unit you have no standing if you ask for a pound but get something else.
Dust wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:46 pm
Some metric units are just painful to work with. No one wants to measure in thousands of mm. Meters are decent for some things, but not a lot. Decimal values are tougher to estimate by eye than half and quarter values. You can do it, it's just a pain.
Doctor. Doctor. It hurts when I do this! Well, don't do that then.

You don't measure the distance to London in inches either. That's why we have different units, choosing the most appropriate for the task at hand. And I'm sure you know that half and quarter of a metre are also known as 50cm and 25cm respectively. :) I use half and quarter centimetres all the time.

The main advantage of metric is the easy conversion between units and unique definitions. And to be honest, it feels like people not used to the metric system have some really strange ideas about it. It's not nearly as prescriptive as you make out.

How many litres in a cubic metre tank? 1000. How many gallons in a cubic yard tank? That depends if you're in the US or the UK, and the answer isn't pretty either way.
Dust wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:46 pm
And with modern computers, working in feet and inches isn't a big deal. The computer does all the dividing by 12 and such for you. There's no reason not to go back to units that are easier on the humans...
I'm sorry, Our numbering system is base-10 and that's not going to change. Being able to switch units in your head halfway a calculation is incredibly valuable. You have 12cm tiles, how many fit in a wall 4.8m long?
Dust
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 645
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:03 pm

Re: Men's Skirt Brand Launch

Post by Dust »

I've watched a lot of folks get off by orders of magnitude doing metric calcs, because they lost track of the prefixes and such.
User avatar
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 5225
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:28 pm
Location: York, England

Re: Men's Skirt Brand Launch

Post by Sinned »

At times when I haven't ha a ruler or tape measure handy I've used the width of an ~1inch strip of wood marked out on another longer strip as the basis. In the end in some circumstances such as a quick fix diy it doesn't matter what the unit is as long as it is consistent for the task.

I must admit that I use both Imperial and meric and customers are amazed when they give me a feet/inches measure and I'm able to give them the metric measure fairly quickly. And vv.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 862
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:40 am

Re: Men's Skirt Brand Launch

Post by Coder »

When constructing stuff out of dimensional lumber, I use imperial - 2x4's are 1.5"x3.5", plywood comes in 4'x8' sheets, and any off-the shelf item is typically dispensed in same units. When trying to calculate things like the number of boards that will fit within a given length, it gets kinda ugly and I start to detest imperial (for instance, say a board is 6.35" wide, you have 30 feet to place it in... let's multiply 30 by 12 then divide by 6.35"...)... sorry but I can't do that math in my head. Were dimensions in metric it would be "trivial" as no conversion needed to take place - just shift a decimal and divide.

When designing 3D printed stuff it's always metric, making anything that uses random scraps of wood whichever is more convenient. When I used the mills at work, all the dials are in mils but they have DRO's so one can use metric. However, there's something to be said for "take off a few thousandths", not sure what a metric dial would read as its lowest unit on a mill or lathe.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:46 pm

Re: Men's Skirt Brand Launch

Post by rode_kater »

I know wood here is sold in mm. I was curious about the range of sizes and they look like: 44x69, 44x94, 27x44, 59x156, 69x169, 38x89, etc.

I don't see any logic at all, who makes up these sizes? Even if you convert them to inches they make no sense.

Although, if you add 1mm you get multiples of half a cm, mostly. Maybe they're taking into account the wood might shrink and so say 44mm instead of 45mm so you can't complain you didn't get enough?.
User avatar
Bodycon
Active Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:25 pm
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland

Re: Men's Skirt Brand Launch

Post by Bodycon »

rode_kater wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:34 pm
I know wood here is sold in mm. I was curious about the range of sizes and they look like: 44x69, 44x94, 27x44, 59x156, 69x169, 38x89, etc.

I don't see any logic at all, who makes up these sizes? Even if you convert them to inches they make no sense.

Although, if you add 1mm you get multiples of half a cm, mostly. Maybe they're taking into account the wood might shrink and so say 44mm instead of 45mm so you can't complain you didn't get enough?.
Timber sizes are always going to vary as you have off-sawn, regularised / CLS and planed all round to contend with. When a log is sawn, the blade will reduce one (or more, depending on the cut) dimensions down by half the blade width beyond the original dimension and the smaller you go the more it reduces, though the blades will get thinner. Allowing for the blade in the cutting dimension would be a headache, so round-up figures are used.

Then you get to finished timber which is planed after sawing, reducing the dimension again.

Then add in shrinkage as finishing timber has less moisture than off-sawn timber, so smaller again.

Then you get tolerance to allow for.

The dimensions have a reason behind them, but in reality its best not to think too much and just get a sawmill cutting sheet and chose from that.

Sheet products are basically (for us) metric equivalents of imperial sizes for thickness, but the sheet dims are now metric 2400x1200mm instead of 2440x1220mm (8'x4').
User avatar
Uncle Al
Moderator
Posts: 3080
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:07 pm
Location: Duncanville, TX USA

Re: Men's Skirt Brand Launch

Post by Uncle Al »

Taking Measurements :arrow:

A bit of trivia -

For those members in the U.S., this 'rule-of-thumb' will work for
quick, rough measurements when a tape measure is not available.

Take a $1.00 bill out of your wallet. Use it as a quick guide.
The length of a dollar bill is 6 & 1/4 inches so, for a 2 foot length,
that would equal 4 dollar bills - end to end - giving you 25 inches.

I'll go back to my corner now :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-2022(and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
User avatar
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 5225
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:28 pm
Location: York, England

Re: Men's Skirt Brand Launch

Post by Sinned »

Coder, since you only want the number of boards I would just round the 6.35" to 6"or 1/2 a foot. So 30' would require 60 boards but since 6.35 is > 6 I would probably order 58 boards. No need for super accuracy.

In metric your example becomes 16.129cm to go in 914.4 so the number of boards is ? Sorry that calculation doesn't easily cme to mind. Even rounding down to 16 into 914 is not trivial. The imperial calculation is easier and both come out to 58 boards.

Wood here is generally displayed in mm but is still thought of, as you say, in Imperial - 4x2 or 6x3. Old habits die hard.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
User avatar
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 4932
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:55 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Men's Skirt Brand Launch

Post by Kirbstone »

Having such a large garden/grounds with so many wooden structures therein, most now 20-odd years old, the moisture-rot factor dictates constant replacements here and there. I still buy timber for this at our local builders' merchant and I still think old-fashioned Imperial, but everything is now 'Metric under', that is, e.g. a 16 ft. plank is sold as 4.8 meters, just 15ft 9 inches and e.g. 4X3 isn't either, the actual dimensions being a shade under in each case, so allowance must be made for this. Fortunately, or curiously 8x4 sheets are still 8'X4'. Some BS1088 Marine Ply acquired recently was actually 1/4 inch over the 8 foot length.

That's just as well, as a jig or circular saw will take a blade's width wherever a cut is made and so it goes on. A great DIY-er friend jokes about his chain-saw joinery. Such a blunt instrument will remove quite a swathe as it cuts.

Similarly, Building regs. for domestic habitable room height here is minimum 2.4 meters. That's not 8 feet, it's 7 foot 10&1/2 inches!!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Coder
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 862
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:40 am

Re: Men's Skirt Brand Launch

Post by Coder »

Interesting - I’m doing some decking and bought 14’ lengths - will have to check and see if they are actually 14’ exactly, though at least around here the length you buy is in full feet, so I wouldn’t expect otherwise.
Post Reply