Fun buying a skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
nervous walker

Fun buying a skirt

Post by nervous walker »

There are 2 parts to this story, firstly I have been following the chef Tom Kerridge's "dopamine diet" and have lost 6 1/2 stone to date, as a consequence of this weight loss my favourite denim mini ( size 20 ) now threatens to fall straight down to my ankles at every wearing. Last Sunday after visiting some friends who do a charity pop up to fix and teach people to fix bikes I went shopping in the centre they were based in and found a branch of Peacocks ( a budget clothes store for men and women ) whilst wandering through the womens section I spotted 2 denim mini's on the clearance rail, they were size 18, 1 at £4 and 1 at £7?? I picked up the cheaper one and headed for the fitting room after asking the young male assistant if they were available, he ponted me towards them and off I went to try it on as it looked a small 18 and I wanted to be sure it fitted.
It fit very well and I went to the till behind which was the same assistant, the exchange went like this,
"I will take this please"
"Is it for you?"
"Yes"
"You do know it's a skirt don't you?"
"You just watched me go and try it on, so yes I do"
"Oh well, no skin off my nose"
Then realising that might not be the right thing to say he added "You should see me at christmas!!"
"That sounds like an invite to me, christmas at yours then and we can compare outfits........."
There was no reply, just an embarassed silence and I had to pay and leave quickly to contain the laughter.
a76e3065-9600-43f0-95b3-f026a1236456.JPG
cd14f0ca-ab77-4b06-902e-f62ef877ac2c.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Fun buying a skirt

Post by Sinned »

Hey, whadderyano, it's an invisible denim skirt. Sorry, I almost missed it - I had to look twice. Seriously, that skirt will do and as you shrink into it it will fit better round the waist - it looks just a bit tight at the moment. But then I have some skirts like that. And well done on the weight loss.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Certainly a funny interaction at the checkout.
I can't help thinking of ridiculous responses to "You do know it's a skirt don't you?"

Wear a skirt next time and it will avoid silly questions.

Congratulations of going from size 20 to 18 and good on you for your voluntary work.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

I have an idea of funny answer: "Ah, shorts with an unique pipe are called skirts. Good to know!"
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

How about, feigning mock shock, "Well, I got dressed in the dark. Oh, gosh, that means that my wife is wearing my shorts!"
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

I must admit it can be very fun buying a skirt.

To comment on your denim skirt in the pictures.
I have two skirts that look practically identical styling to yours, except mine only have one button and zipper fly.

I love the thrill of the hunt. Especially at a thrift store

First finding a skirt style I like.
Probably the biggest hurdle.
Finding a embellishment free skirt in masculine colors can be quite a challenge.
Then it's on to if it's the right size.
I look the entire skirt rack over, they are hardly ever sorted by size right.
Then it's on to pockets. While I own a large assortment of skirts. Most skirts without pockets or nearly useless pockets get put back.
There has to be a majorly unique style to make me get a skirt without pockets. For instance I'm a classic Dr who fan, and I just happened to find a Dr who themed skirt, I got it even though it has no pockets.

My skirt stock is full enough that now I really don't shop for something new, but more for identical copies of some of my favorite skirts. I have about 10 skirts I love so much, that if I. Could find additional copies, I would buy them almost instantly. Assuming the price is reasonable.
Gone are the days of 3 dollar skirts, I really loved those days, now most are between 6 to 8 dollars. The Dr who skirt was the most expensive across the asile skirt at 24 dollars. My most expensive "skirts" are my men's kilts I think I paid around 38 dollars each for my utility kilts.

While I appreciate the few men's or unisex skirt and kilt companies. The high prices are why I won't buy any.

To most people it's '"just a skirt" no matter where you buy it or how much you paid for it.
Nobody is going to be like. it's a good thing that is a skirt craft skirt or a Thome Brown skirt or otherwise I'd have to lable you as a little odd. Your in a skirt your going to seem unusual anyway, because we don't fit the typical "male mold"
I guess if I'm going to be callied odd no matter what. I might as well buy a bunch of inexpensive skirts, rather than one or two expensive skirts.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
maninafrock

Post by maninafrock »

I share your sentiments, mishawakaskirt. I refuse to pay over the odds for my dresses. Max spend in a store has been £15 but had plenty of bargains under £5 from charity shops. I reckon I get twice the pleasure from my dresses - firstly the thrill of the hunt, then actually wearing them. Mind you, we Scotsmen do have a reputation for being tight with our money!
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

'tis fun indeed. I posted a while back on our last trip to the US we spent too much time (not money) in the thrift stores and I brought back about 30 additions to the wardrobe. We have a small guest room that had only a "dime store" type hanging rack for clothes, so I built a closet -- but I've taken over much of it with the new purchases as it is NOT fun throwing them out!

Favorites or not, I spend too much time selecting the one(s) I will wear each day. It is sometimes easier to pick out the rejects and seeing what is left.

I 'third' your Scotsman reputation (I do have some in the blood) and thrift stores are a great solution.