Custom skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
TheEngineer

Custom skirts

Post by TheEngineer »

I have had limited success in finding skirts that fit me and work well for me so I am considering commissioning someone to design and make something for me.
I am wondering if anyone here has tried this approach? Was it successful? Any recommendations? Can anyone recommend a good designer/maker in the UK? Any thoughts at all ?
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Custom skirts

Post by Coder »

Check etsy. I had one made through a seller there one time - process went well. Their shop is no longer open, but there should be plenty of sellers that will adjust or custom make one. Only issue with etsy - might not be cheap.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I have four or five bespoke skirts from The Mouse Works ranging from ankle length to mini and am very happy with them. The fleece long skirts are great in the winter.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Might take a browse at eBay to see if something catches your eye - ready made - Asian and Pakistani sellers (of kilts) may be a source for custom creation.
Best to have it done locally to avoid high shipping tariffs taxes and keep the costs within a budget.
A seamstress (tailor) dress maker maybe able to copy something you see on the internet.
You may not care for the wild side of SkirtsDad stuff but check out the charity goodwill stores for something that might be converted to your size - expectations.
SkirtsDad maybe able to give you a lead - - -
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

If you can get hold of a sewing machine, you can have fun making your own.  This 'A'-line skirt can be made in all sorts of variations and with plenty of hemline freedom, I have made long 'floor-sweepers' for folk dancing and shorter practical ones for dirty outdoor work using the same basic pattern.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

TheEngineer wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:40 am I have had limited success in finding skirts that fit me and work well for me so I am considering commissioning someone to design and make something for me.
I am wondering if anyone here has tried this approach? Was it successful? Any recommendations? Can anyone recommend a good designer/maker in the UK? Any thoughts at all ?
Not much help I'm afraid, but years ago I got Midas to customise their cargo skirt to give me some in different lengths. Wish they were still going. I have been thinking about asking a local seamstress if they could copy those Midas designs to top up my skirt collection, but haven't contacted them yet, Covid hasn't helped!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Read your first post, Engineer. Welcome & all that. I see you're based in that large settlement on the North bank of the Great River, the Thames. When we rowed a coxed quad from Lechlade to Londinivm we noted that it would probably merit a second visit.

Over the years I have chalked up some experience in ordering bespoke skirt & suit designs. Yonks ago a lady based in Brighton traded under 'Kentucky Woman', but she is long gone. I have once used Ravi-tailor based in Thailand... OK, but loaded with horrendous carriage and excise costs.

Anything from the US of A suffers from similar loadings. Within the EU all is clear (for us) on that front. Brexit has muddied the pitch for you UK dwellers buying from the EU, I understand.
My best bespoke skirts have come from CrossdresserNL who will do their thing to follow amateur-drawn designs and make sense out of them. Currently I have two skirts being made by them to the drawings attached. Not at all cheap, mind you. Euro 490 for the two, but the quality is outrageously good. They are due to arrive next week. To get best value I should wear them daily for the rest of my life! (The Scots would screw you for that sort of money for a half-decent kilt, mind you.)

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:07 pm My best bespoke skirts have come from CrossdresserNL who will do their thing to follow amateur-drawn designs and make sense out of them.
Are they the site crossdresser.nl? Because I've seen them and dismissed them because they were all about costumes. I see they do custom stuff, but you're saying they do normal stuff too?
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Hi RK,

Re: Crossdresser.NL. Inevitably they sell all sorts of costumes to make a buck or two, but right at the bottom there's a section where they invite punters to submit their measurements and design ideas for 'ordinary' stuff removed from costumes. They have made up two skirt-suits for me, which worked well....and they're fast, too.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

There is no need to go to these lengths to get a bespoke skirt. All you need to do is take your requirements to your local dressmaker. I have used three so far (two retired) and they were brilliant. You might have to source your own material and also go for a fitting. Beats doing it by post every time and you support a local business.

Kirbstone's remarks about the UK capital reminded me of a debate in a national (UK) newspaper about the identity of the second city of Empire. I don't recall Dublin featuring, I'm afraid (for those outside these islands the whole of Ireland was in the UK when we were turning the map pink) but there were arguments in favour of Birmingham and Manchester and even Liverpool. A man from Glasgow wrote in and pointed out that as a loyal Glaswegian, he was more than happy to identify the second city of Empire. It was London.
TheEngineer

Post by TheEngineer »

Thank you all for your helpful replies :-)