What is the oldest skirt you own?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

What is the oldest skirt you own?

Post by Freedomforall »

Looking to see pictures of the oldest skirt anyone has and still wears. Hoping to see some really unique, possible vintage skirts!
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What is the oldest skirt you own?

Post by Ray »

The second skirt I ever bought was an 18 inch long plain grey stretch skirt.

I still have it and still wear it frequently.

I must have worn it over 1000 times.
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Post by howardfh »

The mind is willing, but my 30" waist left me years ago!! This is my current oldest and favouritest, flexi-waist which covers 32-24"; and it's going to Ibiza next week! It's about as old as I started on the web (bought on line) so 2002/4-ish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

As almost all my skirts are obtained second-hand, I don't know. Probably one of the ones I got when my Mom died.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Nothing over about 20 years old, although a couple of my minis look like things pictured in the 1970's.
https://flashbak.com/miniskirt-monday-3 ... 974-18249/
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I own 999 skirts. My cataloguing system will not go beyond this so I operate a one in one out policy. I have records of skirts going back to 1984 but the oldest one I still have is from 1985. It is a long royal blue skirt with swirls round them hem from Miss Selfridge in Birmingham and it cost £8. It is stored in the loft. The oldest skirt I still wear is from 1992 and is a chestnut print pencil skirt from M&S. Fortunately I have lost a bit of weight recently and can now get back into my smaller size 14 skirts but the size 12 skirts are probably inaccessible territory and have been mainly got rid of anyway. It scares me now that I used to buy for quantity rather than quality and that I was too scared to ask to try them on. The skirts I get rid of now tend to be the ones I can no longer get into and I have a woman friend who is size 10 who delights in taking them off my hands
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Well, I've been wearing skirts for about 10 years but my wife gave me some skirts and dresses right near the start of that. Mind you she could have had some of them for 10 or 15 years before she gave them to me.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

This 24" plaid woolly warm circle skirt lives in the bottom of a chest in my loft, well removed from my interfering OH. It's been there for ages and pre-dates my kilts. It has lots of material and is thermally efficient.

An Autumn pic taken one November, hence the near horizontal illumination. Goes well with thick opaques & a jacket &c. For dog- walking in Winter I'd wear gloves & a woolly hat, too.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

When I stared wearing skirts, most of the ones I was wearing were ones that we cast off by my late ex-. I started to buy my own, I suspect in 2003 or thereabouts, and still have the very first I bought from JC Penney. It's not in particularly good shape now, as I was unaware that moths like synthetics, but it might still be wearable if the elastic waistband isn't shot.

The article in question is a close-fitting, but very elastic, ankle-length number which I believe I've published pictures of here.

Everything else is newer.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Like Jim, most of my skirts are second hand, so I've no idea of their age. The oldest new to me "skirt" that I still have (more of a wrap) dates to about 1976. I do have some "vintage" in appearance skirts, one of which may have a few genuine years to its name: A Manos Bratis, skirt so I guess it can't be much older than late 70's, but designed to 'look' vintage. Interesting that this is a guy who designs for men and women, though I don't think he markets the skirts to us.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I've had a rethink on the age of some of the skirts my wife gave to me. I stand by the age of the ones I have but I know that she does have some that she should pass on to me that she wore when we first started dating and we married in 1976. Not much good to her now as they would be too small but they should fir me and it would be up to her to donate them.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I would need to look back at my pics 'n' looks thread, or you can look. I have several skirts that may or may not pre-date my Midas skirts, just can't remember! The ones that fitted me back then still fit! My gut is larger but 44" still seems to be my waist measurement.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

A hand me down from my mother in law. At least a 40 years old blue long skirt I love to wear when it gets a bit cold
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

rivegauche wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:58 pm I own 999 skirts. My cataloguing system will not go beyond this so I operate a one in one out policy.
Ahh, it is good to know there is some sort of limit. What cataloguing system are you using? I have 464 skirts and still going but my spreadsheet has a limit of 1,048,576 rows which is a worry.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

denimini wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:24 pm
rivegauche wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:58 pm I own 999 skirts. My cataloguing system will not go beyond this so I operate a one in one out policy.
Ahh, it is good to know there is some sort of limit. What cataloguing system are you using? I have 464 skirts and still going but my spreadsheet has a limit of 1,048,576 rows which is a worry.
It's simply a Word file that lists them 001-999. The number limit is imposed by the filing of the JPEGs. I can go over 1000 but it will mess up the sequence.