Work skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
Posts: 12490
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)
Contact:

Re: Work skirts

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:31 pm
20% of my clothes get worn 80% of the time and vice versa.
Indeed, but does the fun come from the 20% you wear 80% of the time or the rest that you wear 20% of the time. I factor fun into the equation as well as function. If we were pure function we'd be in t-shirts, polos, and jeans lust like the rest of the lemmings.

Here I am, months in advance of a trip down south trying to figure out what I want to bring along in a small suitcase. And I am seriously contemplating fun over function save where it comes to footwear because there's going to be some serious walking going on. After all, I have an entire city to tour!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 952
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:00 pm

Re: Work skirts

Post by Freedomforall »

crfriend wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:48 pm
moonshadow wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:31 pm
20% of my clothes get worn 80% of the time and vice versa.
Indeed, but does the fun come from the 20% you wear 80% of the time or the rest that you wear 20% of the time. I factor fun into the equation as well as function. If we were pure function we'd be in t-shirts, polos, and jeans lust like the rest of the lemmings.

Here I am, months in advance of a trip down south trying to figure out what I want to bring along in a small suitcase. And I am seriously contemplating fun over function save where it comes to footwear because there's going to be some serious walking going on. After all, I have an entire city to tour!
Not sure if you have heard of a movie called Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. It is a true story that occurred in Savannah. I love Savannah!
User avatar
denimini
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 2495
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:50 am
Location: Outback Australia

Re: Work skirts

Post by denimini »

crfriend wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:48 pm
Indeed, but does the fun come from the 20% you wear 80% of the time or the rest that you wear 20% of the time. I factor fun into the equation as well as function.
I totally agree with that; most of my skirt collection is for fun and joy.

As for packing for a trip: If you are going to wear skirts or a dresses, you may as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb; go for the fun element.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
User avatar
Uncle Al
Moderator
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:07 pm
Location: Duncanville, TX USA

Re: Work skirts

Post by Uncle Al »

denimini wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:54 am
As for packing for a trip: If you are going to wear skirts or a dresses, you may as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb; go for the fun element.
A Big Fat YES to this :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-2022(and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Grok
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 2106
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:21 am

Re: Work skirts

Post by Grok »

To the best of my knowledge the skirts that are gaining traction are designs for functiona/ practical purposes, at least in a niche capacity-utility kilts, running kilts, purple rain/lighthearted gear, etc. It's great to have this option, but the novelty wears off, and they become included in that part of your wardrobe that is 80% functional/practical. Not particularly interesting in appearance, not particularly fun.

(I actually wear trousers most of the time-I conform at work).

On the other hand, many skirt designs can include a fun element.
User avatar
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 3373
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:48 pm
Location: Southeast Corner of Aiken County, SC USA

Re: Work skirts

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Carl, I recommend you rent the movie and watch it. It is full of good sites to see while in Savannah. I live about 125 miles from Savannah and at one time I kept a large camping trailer at the beach, so I used it as a second home. Be sure to visit River street and enjoy all of the restaurants and other sites as well as the museum. I recommend a walk up place called "THE HOLE IN THE WALL" they serve good food at a reasonable price, then go sit on the river bank and enjoy the food.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 2106
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:21 am

Re: Work skirts

Post by Grok »

STEVIE wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:02 am
Grok wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:10 am
And now it looks like members are now starting to dress like that.
Conversely, there are shorts on the market which are loose and floaty enough to pass as a skirt, go figure.
My point is that we are making a mistake by attempting to apply this concept of masculinity in a clothing context.
I honestly cannot see how that will ultimately lead to greater freedom, more likely just another slight variation on the current straitjackets presently masquerading as mainstream male fashion.
Think of a glass that is half full, rather than a glass half empty. If a few designs should start to gain traction, I would regard that as progress! :D
Post Reply