is this to short?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
stephanie53

is this to short?

Post by stephanie53 »

Seeing that its going to be in the triple digits this weekend, was thinking of wearing this. @13/14" it seams really short for me. What's your opinion?
thumbnail.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: is this to short?

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I would say yes it is too short, BUT and that's a big but if you like it wear it just remember to wear undies as you will be showing some skin. I would suggest the color black in undies.

I do not like to wear skirts that short. The shortest skirt I would wear would be in the 16 to 17 inch area. I have worn skorts at 15 inches but they have built in undies..
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Hot weather; casual settings, why not. Just beware of the 'exposure' factor for the circumstances, but dang it we should not have to ask the question!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Yes, it needs another 'o' :D (sorry, couldn't resist)

But, uh, as for the skirt I'm a knee-length kinda person, maybe a little above (18" is about as short as I feel comfortable in), but to each their own. I would be concerned about unintentional exposure, and maybe how comfort about you are showing so much skin - ie, would you wear a pair of shorts that short? I would say skirts that short are usually relegated to college-age women and younger, and maybe beachgoers.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

To answer the main question :arrow: YES :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I second Uncle Al.

On a tall hefty male figure that little black no. borders on the ridiculous.

Tom
Last edited by Kirbstone on Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Re: is this too short?

Post by Jim »

I think it depends on the context. I wouldn't wear it to church where we are sitting in low chairs outside or in a professional role. In hot weather, short makes good sense just being out for shopping, medical appointments, hiking or whatever. It's fine for such things.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Stephanie
This is a quote from 2013;
"The Length Of My Skirt Is Not A Problem - Stop Making It One"!
Funny how some things just keep on recurring.
Admittedly the context may be different but the principal remains the same.
In essence, any garment of any type or style is your business and yours alone unless you decide otherwise.
How it appears to other folk is purely subjective, based on individual bias and attitude.
My answer to the question you posed is actually, yes, it is. The qualification would be, but if only that you believe that it would feel uncomfortable or awkward to wear.
I posted elsewhere that I had been "told off" at work for an inappropriately short skirt a few years ago. Job role and management have changed since then and there was nothing formal in place anyway. On Friday, a casual day, I wore the contentious garment and not a peep, so far at least. Watch this space but demonstrates my point re matter of opinion perfectly.
Beauty, Beholder and Eye spring to mind.
I hope this helps a bit.
Steve.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

A lot of factors to consider:

Where and when are you going to be wearing this s-h-o-r-t skirt ?
Some places it will pass muster and then others (church) not so holy ghost like -
The flared hem line is apt to enhance the exposure index -
That hem line does have some feminine attributes the lacy edge trimming -
Imperative to wear a supporting clause in your contract - best be black and a full brief -

Are you going to wear that polo shirt with the reverse button placket ?
Is that polo shirt going to be tucked in or worn loose ?
Makes a difference in the apparent hem length of the garment -
Any belts or other accessories worn with the outfit ?
Where are you going to stash all your manly goods (wallet keys etc.) man purse/bag ?

Lessor note - going to be around children - inquisitive children ?
Why is that man wearing a skirt ?

Have you worn this short of skirt before ?

Relax - just setting the stage for your rehearsal - - - - - Act 1 Scene 1 Action on the set !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

There is more to this than how the skirt-wearer feels. You also have to consider others. If anyone (male or female) wears a skirt where there underwear might be on show or people are scared it might be exposed it is too short. I can't remember if the OP was planning to wear it to church, but to my mind It shows a lack of respect for the situation. When you go this short it is no longer about wearing a skirt, it is about imposing your nether regions or the possibility of your nether regions on others and that is never good. It is not just a lack of respect for situations - it is a lack of respect for other people. Not gender related at all - the same would apply to a woman.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

That length is fine and actually looks a nice skirt with that bit of flare. An outfit like that; just put some footwear on and off you go.
I wear that length most of the time and wore something that length when visiting Sydney a few years ago, travelling on busy trains and ferries. Also minis are not as revealing as people think, just be aware when sitting in public and bend the knees when fetching something from a low shelf in a store.
Check in the mirror and take a few selfies in different poses to be sure. If you go out thinking it is too short then you will feel that it is too short; if you go out feeling confident that it is OK then you can feel good about it.
They are great fun to wear and that is what life should be about.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
stephanie53

Re: is this too short?

Post by stephanie53 »

Thanks for all your advice. I knew I came to the right place to ask. Please keep the comments coming. I'll try to answer some of your questions
no, I've never worn anything that short before, so wanted to give it a try. I do like the flair.
I'll tuck the polo shirt in.
because I'm trying to rest and relax from sever hard days/weeks at work, i thought this would be nice to wear out and about. Planing on food shopping home depot, a bike ride, and maybe some casual walking on a trail.
The exposure factor is the exposure factor. I'm not going to let it bother me. I know it's there, and will try to minimize it with walking and bending at the knee but inevitably there are things on the bottom and top shelf.
I am working on my confidence factor here.
I'll be caring all my manly stuff, keys,wallet
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

My £0.02 worth. Context is everything as has been pointed out. Informally, on an average wander about then no, it's not too short. Anthony, SD and I, among others, wear skirts that short and think nothing about it. Confidence is all it needs. As Anthony pointed out mini skirts are not as revealing as they seem at first.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

My wife would call it too short.
Me? not so much.
Just don't bend over in it...unless you want to flash the derriere (or whatever is covering it) at whoever might be behind you.

There's something very flirty with being on the edge of exposure.

It also kind of explains popularity of panties with stuff printed on the back side.
victor1964
Member Extraordinaire

Post by victor1964 »

Looks fine to me, I would wear one that short :D