Jeans skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
skirted84
Distinguished Member

Jeans skirt

Post by skirted84 »

I wouldn't say there is a "perfect" man skirt but my new skirt certainly ticks many boxes. Sturdy denim with 5 pockets exactly like my own jeans, on the knee (most denims on sale are mini or randomly below the knee) and back vent not front. It even buttons on the male side. Very comfortable and looks quite unremarkable.

https://www.icecoolfashion.com/ladies-k ... 6541-p.asp

Obviously other brands will have similar skirts but this was a good find.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Jeans skirt

Post by Jim »

It might be on the knee for you. For me 22" is mid-calf. It looks like it would be quite limiting on the size of the steps one would take, which would make it quite less than perfect for me.
skirtpettiman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtpettiman »

I bought something very similar from BHS six years ago at a similar price. Although it looks like it'll affect your stride it's made out of very stretchy material with a back split for ease of movement.
26-05-16_0002.jpg
26-05-16_0027.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Not bad & good colour range. When they say stretch denim it always means that it's cut very tight, with inadequate room in those pockets for male hands. size 16, (mine) has a front length of 21 inches. Well above my knee, but demure, I suppose. I like my skirts cut fuller, though.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Apart from the fact that it is marketed as a ladies skirt. Looks ok but too long for me and I prefer A line. The price is too much also.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirted84
Distinguished Member

Post by skirted84 »

This is why I was careful not to say its ideal for anyone but I concur, the stretch and the back vent make walking quite easy, and the fuller hips for female shape is a plus in this case. I have a shorter denim thats a bit better for walking but really awkward sitting down so I guess it depends on priorities.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Here's my frayed denim pencil skirt. The vent is great for movement, it's a snug fit but not too restrictive. Thick tights help with modesty, but it's long enough too. 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

skirted84 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:32 pm https://www.icecoolfashion.com/ladies-k ... 6541-p.asp

Perfect. I bought an identical one from Marks and Spencer. It is serviceable, versatile - can be used for smart wear or walking the dog. It's easy to look after and cheap enough to discard when it wears out. Why exactly is it classed as "ladies"? This garment couldn't be more unisex and that's what makes be angry.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Stu wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:50 pm
skirted84 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:32 pm https://www.icecoolfashion.com/ladies-k ... 6541-p.asp

Perfect. I bought an identical one from Marks and Spencer. It is serviceable, versatile - can be used for smart wear or walking the dog. It's easy to look after and cheap enough to discard when it wears out. Why exactly is it classed as "ladies"? This garment couldn't be more unisex and that's what makes me angry.
To the majority of the world outside MIS, skirts are ladies clothes. And nothing says "ladies" more than M&S.

In more inclusive or modern retailers like Zara or those with a more unisex approach, may just describe the skirt and style ie A Line, pencil, etc. It may just be listed as "outerwear" or "bottoms" in some retailers. M&S is generally quite old fashioned.

Until MIS gathers traction (this is happening more on social media ie Reddit, Instagram, Tumblr), and more guys choose a skirt as a regular wardrobe piece, it may be listed as such. M&S isn't a shopping destination like it used to be, it's the UK equivalent of Sears now. The food hall is the only thing keeping M&S alive in terms of income :(
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:43 pm Apart from the fact that it is marketed as a ladies skirt. Looks ok but too long for me and I prefer A line. The price is too much also.
I like the A line and the more flared stuff too.

Not knocking this skirt, but I've just never been crazy about the tighter skirts.

As for a "manly" skirt, as we look back through history, many men's skirts had a more flared shape and even a little "swish". I just can't see a pencil or other "tight" skirt as a masculine look.

It's more like something an office girl would wear.

It's unfortunate that the wide flared swishy skirts have fallen out of vogue with even the women. I'm seeing more straight cut skirts and dresses even on the females. And that can look okay, but considering the obesity issue in our culture, IMO form fitting skirts are not very flattering.

Swishy skirts seem to have been adopted mostly by grandma, likely due to the sagging body over time.

Still yet, swishy skirts are mighty cool for any age or gender!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

I own several denim skirts and skirts, a vast majority don't see the light of day.
I just bought a clone of this one on eBay. Revolt brand skirts and jeans.
Just wore it on a 30 mile round trip in the car. It's very well made Heavy denim. Possibly it now ranks in my top 3 denim of skirts now. A little hot in this hot weather, of course most clothing is hot when the heat index is over 100 F
Every chance in this heat, I get into a skirt. And sadly that's not very much.

Had the chance to go to a friend's house in a utility style kilt. His only comment at arrival was something to the effect of oh, hello kilt man. Shortly after arriving I spent a few minutes standing over his in the floor Air conditioning vent. Ahhh. Something you can't do in trousers.

Edit: just realized I had not added a picture. I think the stripes down both sides are just enough to make it just a little unique, but not crazy stand out.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.