Wrap Skirt Recommendations

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
CharlesF

Wrap Skirt Recommendations

Post by CharlesF »

Hello All,

I am hoping for some tips from the collected expertise of the SkirtCafe hive.

My 88 year old father-in-law is struggling with getting his pants on and off. He insists on taking his pants off every time he goes to the washroom (don't ask!), and then spends 10-15 minutes struggling to put his pants back on. He goes to the washroom many times per day. It exhausts him. Such is the effort that he often spends hours sitting in his dressing gown.

I suggested that he try a Sport Kilt -- much easier for him to put on and off due to the wrap design and velcro. I showed him one of my Sport Kilts, and I think he was quite persuaded, but not fully convinced (yet).

I suspect that what might work well is a knee-length wrap skirt, with velcro -- perhaps a knee-length sarong with velcro.

I thought that they'd be lots of options, but the nearest I've ever seen is the RipSkirt. I've yet to buy a RipSkirt, but I've read that there are a few fans here.

Does the hive mind have have any other suggestions for a sarong style knee-length wrap skirt with velcro?

Thanks very much for all suggestions.

Charles
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Wrap Skirt Recommendations

Post by rivegauche »

Hi Charles. I think your retail choices might be limited. In your position I would go to a dressmaker and ask them to make up a wrap skirt to your specifications - material, colour, length, fastening, pockets and even direction of overlap (he might be more easily persuaded if the skirt had a male kilt overlap). A fabric that washes easily and does not need pressing might be best. Dressmakers are not as expensive as people think and they can make exactly what you want. And you will probably need three. Good luck.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Hi CharlesF,
I'm heavily into wrap skirts and apart from a few Sportkilts I have had some made up by a crowd called Cr0ssdresserNL. I attach three examples, all fastened by velcro on the Mens' side and made to my measurements so they're on or off in a flash and very modest/demure into the bargain.

Beige one is pictured without tights &c. The others are a bit dressed-up. Not necessary, of course.
All three have generous slash pockets.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I’ll second (third?) the recommendation for a custom wrap skirt. Many/most wrap skirts out there will either have snaps or buttons if they are true wrap skirts - and will only fit a limited number of sizes and be just a bit cumbersome to put on. That’s assuming you can find a true wrap skirt, most are false wrap where they stitch the wrap vertically.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Charles
I would suggest a much simpler solution than a wholly bespoke item.
Just find one where any awkward fastenings can be replaced with velcro.
Your Dad sounds like a cool dude, I doubt mine would have been open to the idea of wearing a skirt of any kind including a Kilt.
Steve.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Kilt - Skirt - Wrap Skirt - - -

The Secret is the VELCRO closing - multi adjustable waist and ease of putting on withOUT bells buzzers straps buttons zippers or other ornate fastenings !
Lose or Gain weight -
Wear with or without other clothing -
Tailor the hem length to one's personal needs -
Doesn't have to be pleated -
No need to be concerned about wearing footwear or socks -

Simply the perfect answer !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
CharlesF

Post by CharlesF »

Kirbstone wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:31 am I'm heavily into wrap skirts and apart from a few Sportkilts I have had some made up by a crowd called Cr0ssdresserNL. I attach three examples, all fastened by velcro on the Mens' side and made to my measurements so they're on or off in a flash and very modest/demure into the bargain.
Hi Tom,

Those design are awesome. I must check out Cr0ssdresserNL. I am always impressed by the range of clothes you source. You are such an inspiration here.

I wanted to avoid going for anything too custom for father-in-law until I can be absolutely sure he'll go along with it! Then .. who knows!

Thank you!

Charles.
CharlesF

Post by CharlesF »

r.m.anderson wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:12 pmThe Secret is the VELCRO closing
Indeed! I'm a big fan of velcro!
CharlesF

Post by CharlesF »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:12 pmYour Dad sounds like a cool dude, I doubt mine would have been open to the idea of wearing a skirt of any kind including a Kilt.
Thanks Stevie.

Oh ... he didn't come to this idea readily. He even seems a bit uncomfortable that he sits down to pee these days -- "peeing like a lady". But old age knocks a lot of edges from the ego. His head to battling between inculcated ideas of gender, and rational sense of practicality. We will see which wins! Let's root for the skirts!

Charles
CharlesF

Post by CharlesF »

Coder wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:45 amI’ll second (third?) the recommendation for a custom wrap skirt. Many/most wrap skirts out there will either have snaps or buttons if they are true wrap skirts - and will only fit a limited number of sizes and be just a bit cumbersome to put on. That’s assuming you can find a true wrap skirt, most are false wrap where they stitch the wrap vertically.
Hi Coder.

That was my sense also -- but I'm an eternal optimist :D

Thank you.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

CharlesF wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:44 pm
Coder wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:45 amI’ll second (third?) the recommendation for a custom wrap skirt. Many/most wrap skirts out there will either have snaps or buttons if they are true wrap skirts - and will only fit a limited number of sizes and be just a bit cumbersome to put on. That’s assuming you can find a true wrap skirt, most are false wrap where they stitch the wrap vertically.
Hi Coder.

That was my sense also -- but I'm an eternal optimist :D

Thank you.
The other suggestion - to have a real wrap skit modified with velcro - is probably a good solution. Cost to add velcro should be minimal.

It does beg the question - why velcro isn’t used more frequently for skirt fastening - I suppose the tricky part is keeping it from touching the skin or destroying other cloth that it touches. And for an assembly line it might take too long to sew in.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Charles,
I fear I have given you a typo here. The people are CrossdresserNL.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Charles,

Several thoughts on this delima, first I hope you find something that works well for him, update us on your progress.

My thoughts on a kilt, while it is a wrap skirt. The pleats eventually become a literal pain in the butt. If you do alot of sitting eventually pleats will hurt.

Diy wrap skirts instructions are plentiful on the web.
Find someone that loves to sew. This would give you the most control on color and fabric, closure method.
Just ask around your family, friends, coworkers, you should be able to find someone.

Most wrap skirts are made out of two or three panels of fabric, and a strip for the waist band.

This is one of the simpler website, patterns,
https://weallsew.com/sew-wrap-skirt/

A Diy rip skirt design here. https://sewingiscool.com/how-to-make-a- ... rt-hawaii/

There are also many YouTube videos.

I did a scowering of the internet.

There are some on Etsy, you might find a gem on there, but it would take some work to spot what you want. I found a denim wrap skirt, but they want 90 dollars for it.

I have not bought from any of these companies but wanted to supply the information regardless.
They sell wrap skirts, they do custom mods work. You might be able to explain the situation and they might be able to come up with a more basic wrap skirt for you.

Yandee.com based in Michigan USA.

Skirtfanatic.com. based in Devon UK

There is skirt addict on Facebook, there has been no recent activity last post was June of 2020.

Best of luck, hopefully you find success in this matter.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
CharlesF

Post by CharlesF »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:36 amMy thoughts on a kilt, while it is a wrap skirt. The pleats eventually become a literal pain in the butt. If you do alot of sitting eventually pleats will hurt.
Thank you so much for your thoughts. There pleats were a concern for me also -- it was just a convenient place to start given that I had velcro Sport Kilts. I agree a wrap skirt without pleats would be better.
mishawakaskirt wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:36 amI did a scowering of the internet.
Yes you did! Thank you so very much for your time. You are so kind.

Charles
CharlesF

Post by CharlesF »

I took delivery of a couple of RipSkirts on Friday. These are for me, but I also hope they might inspire my father-in-law.

I must say that I am rather pleased with them. The tactile feel of fabric is quite an important part of the joy of wearing a skirt for me, and these feel very nice. Soft and silky. I had gotten into my head that the fabric feel would be compromised due to being water safe, but I was quite wrong.

I do like wearing sarongs, but rarely do because I dislike dealing with the tying. These have changed my view.

They might be the solution. I've already ordered more!

Will experiment more myself, and then have another go at father-in-laws.

Charles.