Online live meeting anyone?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Online live meeting anyone?

Post by Brad »

I wanted to know if there would be any interest in having a live online video meeting, ie Zoom, on a regular basis- such as weekly or monthly. This could be a challenge with our vastly differing schedules and time zones. However it may be beneficial to have an opportunity to get to know each other on a more personal level.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Online live meeting anyone?

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Brad wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:50 pm I wanted to know if there would be any interest in having a live online video meeting, ie Zoom, on a regular basis- such as weekly or monthly. This could be a challenge with our vastly differing schedules and time zones. However it may be beneficial to have an opportunity to get to know each other on a more personal level.
Since I have never used zoom nor know how it works or what you need to get on it, please explain to me and I imagine a few others how this works..
Sorry for being such a ludite!!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

The person hosting a Zoom meeting sends an invitation to possible attendees with a meeting number and password. The recipient either goes to the Zoom site or uses the Zoom app, enters the information, and joins the meeting. The attendee can choose to show their video (if they are using a device with a camera) or choose not to. They can also mute their mic at any time. Attendees can see all of the participants at one time in the Gallery in little squares on a matrix type board. Zoom is totally free and easy to use. Note that these are my observations and I have no connection with Zoom, nor am I attempting to promote their products. This is just one of the online meeting services available. There are many others.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Along with a few of my mates, we have a "virtual pub" every second Saturday. We use Skype and it works really well. At work I used to run classes using Skype but recently we have been told to use Microsoft Teams, this is a bloody nightmare, probably because they have my machine setup with Windows 7 and will not let me install the app, just run a browser version which leads to many problems.
I haven't used Zoom but have found that Skype works really well.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
skirted84
Distinguished Member

Post by skirted84 »

I've used Zoom and find it preferrable to Skype. Teams is the ultimate evil in video calls. Interesting idea but getting us sat at the same time would be a challenge.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I used Teams for a short while while I did some Customer Service role for my company. After I finished it kept opening up every time I opened up my machine. It took me ages to stop this. Not sure I did anything - maybe it just took the hint as I shut it down immediately it opened up. I've not uninstalled it as there is always the possibility of doing more Customer Service work. I recall it wasn't straightforward to install. I've never used Zoom - no need, really. I can see that the first meeting might be a bit awkward as we don't really know each other. I'd like to see a few sessions happen before I would join but I'm hesitant but not adverse. It's all so new too soon.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I've only used Skype for a one-on-one conversation.
I've used Zoom many times and it is smoother/easier to use.
I have to use my Laptop for Zoom, or Skype, as I don't have
a camera connected to my desktop anymore. I could set it
back up but my "area" is a complete mess. The aftermath
of a hurricane is more tidy than my "area". ;)

Just my $.02 worth :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I have to deal with two or three Mickeysoft "teams" beatings per day and want, desperately, to get away from online video and audio. I don't care about the platform, they all share the same problems: there is no way to interject things of importance because the comms channels are simplex and not duplex.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

I've successfully used Jitsi Meet (https://meet.jit.si or install the app). It's less tricky to use than Zoom (it seems to avoid the common Zoom problem of how to join a meeting); you don't get cut off after 40 minutes (as happens with the free version of Zoom); meetings are simple to set up and join (you simply share your meeting name beforehand); and if you want extra privacy, you can run your own Jitsi Meet server (the software is free).
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I'd like to join a zoom meeting if it was at a convenient time for me.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Sorry Jim
I have to use Teams every day for work and that just gives me a bellyful.
That is not to say that it isn't a good idea for the guys who could benefit from the contact.
Steve.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

None of my computers would run the Zoom software* but I do join in a regular Zoom meeting by telephone instead.  The organiser sends you a list of optional telephone numbers and a 'password' (actually a pass-number) which you put in via the 'phone's key pad.  I can join in the meeting just like everyone else except they don't see my picture or the messy domestic scene behind me.

*I discovered Zoom spyware on the computer after I had tried to download the app.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Such a meeting would be interesting. You might have to pick a few slots to deal with timezones, but sure. Start small, announce a slot and see what happens.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

crfriend wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:19 pm I have to deal with two or three Mickeysoft "teams" beatings per day and want, desperately, to get away from online video and audio. I don't care about the platform, they all share the same problems: there is no way to interject things of importance because the comms channels are simplex and not duplex.
Maybe for you, we haven't had that problem with Skype and even the abominable version of Teams I have to use for work is duplex, so much so that we have to ask people to mute their microphones when not speaking because of unintended noise. A problem when you have over a hundred people with microphones open.

My company has banned Zoom, because of the poor security, not important for social stuff I suppose.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I tried installing Zoom on my laptop but my PC antivirus/malware stopped the install.
Ended up using the Zoom website. Takes longer to log-in but haven't had any problems
with the website. Of course, since I had to upgrade my PC(desktop) to WIN-10, things
take forever to boot-up and load. But once it's up and running - - no problems :D
(Same slow boot-up on the Laptop with WIN-10 :( )

Loved Win-7 but my Tax Program will no longer install on Win-7. That's why I bit the
bullet and did the 'free' upgrade to Win-10 on the desktop.

Thanks for the "Heads-Up" on Jitsi Meet. Will check it out to see if it will work
for my scenarios. (Once a month usage.)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)