Finally did it

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
tbryant2k12

Finally did it

Post by tbryant2k12 »

I walked around a couple stores (Walmart and Giant Tiger) in a denim skirt. And to clarify I normally wear womens pants, shorts, tops daily. Felt great and didn't even bother to to check for others reactions. Of course where I live we still have to wear masks in stores, so made it slightly easier. And looking at what other men were wearing, loose fitting shorts, a knee length denim skirt really isn't much different.

It is definitely a mental block thinking what will others think. I have wanted to do it before, but chickened out.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Finally did it

Post by crfriend »

tbryant2k12 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:25 pmI have wanted to do it before, but chickened out.
Today you crossed the bridge to a brighter, more verdant world. Bravissimo!

Once across that bridge it just gets easier. That first step is always the hardest.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
tbryant2k12

Post by tbryant2k12 »

Isn't that the truth!!
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Denim skirts are mostly invisible. People often don't notice even if they are standing talking to you! They are the easiest style to carry off by a mile! I have no idea why they don't make them for guys and sell them in stores like Walmart next to the jeans.
New-in-Skirts

Post by New-in-Skirts »

By crossing the bridge you are not at the point of no return. In other words there is no turning back.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Stu wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:07 pmI have no idea why they don't make them for guys and sell them in stores like Walmart next to the jeans.
Because the guys are too dense to grasp the concept of "one pipe" versus two. Pure and simple.

As far as denim goes, it's merely "visual noise" and fades into the background to go unnoticed.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Stu wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:07 pm Denim skirts are mostly invisible. People often don't notice even if they are standing talking to you! They are the easiest style to carry off by a mile! I have no idea why they don't make them for guys and sell them in stores like Walmart next to the jeans.
You are spot on about denim Stu and it does make the best entry level skirt for a guy starting out.
Carl is also correct when he says that most guys just wouldn't take up the offer.
Of the ones who might, they will just cross the aisle anyway so the retailer wouldn't likely increase profits.
No premium, no incentive so no likely change I'm afraid to say;
Unless the big city influencers work their alleged magic that is.
Steve.
tbryant2k12

Post by tbryant2k12 »

The skirt is the most basic and unisex garment there is. Throughout human history, men and women have worn dresses and skirts. That is until war and work made pants for men more feasible. But we are back to a time where we are not always going to war or working in dangerous job situations like during the Industrial Revolution. Right now it only a society gender norm that is saying who can wear what. And for us that want to wear skirts, it's overcoming the societal roadblock that seems to stop many of us.

Sadly most of us have the fear of the social ramifications if seen bucking the social norms.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Well done tbryant. The first time is the hardest and afterwards, as in my case too, you wonder what all the anguish was about!
Keep up the good work!
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
tbryant2k12

Post by tbryant2k12 »

And even though I keep saying clothes are clothes and wear what your comfortable with. The gender norms are just so ingrained that it's a challenge to get rid of them. And while you tell yourself not to care what others think, you still do.