More non-reactions

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

More non-reactions

Post by rivegauche »

We have lost all our department stores in N Scotland but we have a few large 'countrywear' complexes. I visited one at Brodie, between Forres and Nairn in NE Scotland on Thursday and another very large complex at Bruar, north of Perth, yesterday. I had been intending to swop my trousers for a skirt at both, but they were so mobbed I couldn't change in the car parks - there were no secluded areas - but I have previously visited both in a skirt. Between the two shops, I must have dealt with 12-15 staff (all women) as I tried on skirts, dresses and shoes. There was not a flicker of reaction that this was anything other than normal. A man trying on these clothes was treated EXACTLY as a woman would be. I usually shop in boutiques where they know me, and this was my first time in ages shopping where I was not a regular. No customers seemed to thin it was odd for a man to be emerging from the fitting rooms carrying dresses.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: More non-reactions

Post by Kirbstone »

Unless they're halternecks, dresses are a total no-no for me. Even if the waist fits it's usually too high, as ladies' torsos are shorter (handy for packing into a freezer, though! :twisted: )
Skirts have just two measurements, waist and drop to the hem. Neither of these requires a trip to the changing room for me.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Rivegauche
We still have Next and Marks & Spencer, they are kind of department stores are they not?
I was in Inverness on Friday and pleasantly surprised by the non-reaction I found there.
By comparison Edinburgh was awash with the most abject slack jawed stares that I have encountered in a very long time.
Steve.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:25 pm By comparison Edinburgh was awash with the most abject slack jawed stares that I have encountered in a very long time.
Steve.
I too have noticed an increase in somewhat rude reactions to my choice in dress. Nothing too major, still a fraction of a percent, but there for a while it seems I could go weeks if not months without getting hate, now it's at least once, usually three of four times per day, and local demographic/culture/age group doesn't seem to make a difference.

I suspect a year and a half of living restrictions infringing on virtually everyone's freedoms has made the world pretty damned grumpy.

Hopefully when this covid thingy is way back in the rear view mirror, people will chill the ----- out.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:11 pm
STEVIE wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:25 pm By comparison Edinburgh was awash with the most abject slack jawed stares that I have encountered in a very long time.
Steve.
I too have noticed an increase in somewhat rude reactions to my choice in dress. ...
Perhaps these are the neanderthals who would previously have made a big fuss or attacked you -- but now they are just apathetically staring at you.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

Might allow M&S to make the fringes of the definition of a department store but not Next. The only times I have gone out in a skirt or dress since lockdown I was dressed as a woman so can't comment on any change in attitude to men in skirts. Pre-lockdown I have been in Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee and the outskirts of Inverness (Retail Park) as a man in a skirt without any staring or double-takes. I have also done the man in skirt thing on the Highlands in Nairn, Tain, Elgin and Lossiemouth. The only reactions I got were from a schoolboy in Elgin and the owner of a boutique (not one of the current ones) in Nairn who both said "Wow", but in a good way. The only place I have ever had staring was at Castle Urquhart at Loch Ness, where people stared openly, but the place was full of Americans who do not have the refined manners of Europeans.
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Post by howardfh »

rivegauche wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:02 am Might allow M&S to make the fringes of the definition of a department store but not Next. The only times I have gone out in a skirt or dress since lockdown I was dressed as a woman so can't comment on any change in attitude to men in skirts. Pre-lockdown I have been in Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee and the outskirts of Inverness (Retail Park) as a man in a skirt without any staring or double-takes. I have also done the man in skirt thing on the Highlands in Nairn, Tain, Elgin and Lossiemouth. The only reactions I got were from a schoolboy in Elgin and the owner of a boutique (not one of the current ones) in Nairn who both said "Wow", but in a good way. The only place I have ever had staring was at Castle Urquhart at Loch Ness, where people stared openly, but the place was full of Americans who do not have the refined manners of Europeans.
:lol:
howardfh
Member Extraordinaire

Post by howardfh »

I've been on a train, been on a ferry, been on a bus in a skirt but later this month I'm gonna break my duck and fly; to London T5 and have a day out in town. As it's domestic I won't need all the covid testing kerfuffle, the shock is it's over 18 months since I last flew thanks to that c-word.

Hope the security guard enjoys giving me the old tap-down!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I have long since lost count of the non-reactions :)
Although I did get one reaction today. I had the front door open on the Bond Store and a couple of travellers asked if they could look inside. I was answering some questions about it's history when the woman, standing fairly close, suddenly looked down at my mini skirt with mouth open. She kept conversing naturally but also kept looking down; it seemed such an involuntary reaction; a real life "duhhhh" moment.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I guess it must be all about "location, location, location" because I rarely get any sort of reactions when it comes to my attire, and I'm probably more, how shall I put it....out there than most here since I sport women's tops, heels (occasionally), wear earrings and carry a purse. Nary a peep for the most part, save for a compliment here and there.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:11 pm I suspect a year and a half of living restrictions infringing on virtually everyone's freedoms has made the world pretty damned grumpy.
pelmut wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:35 am Perhaps these are the neanderthals who would previously have made a big fuss or attacked you -- but now they are just apathetically staring at you.
rivegauche wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:02 am Americans who do not have the refined manners of Europeans.
Pre Covid I used a comeback, "You really should get out more!" if someone was being derogatory. I guess that applies even more now.
It wasn't the Neanderthals, they were perfectly civilised. By appearance I would have said folks who one would assume to have been raised to have better manners. A random enough mix of gender and age too.
Ironically Edinburgh famously hosts one of the most diverse arts festivals in the world, "The Fringe", it must drive these types out of their mind and cause them to pen complaints to the Daily Wail.
Oddly some of the most positive and polite reactions that I have had as a guy in a skirt have actually come from American tourists.
Anyhow the vacation is all but over and back to the grind tomorrow. It may just be warm enough to wear a dress too
Steve.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:35 pm Oddly some of the most positive and polite reactions that I have had as a guy in a skirt have actually come from American tourists.
Here stateside, I don't think I've ever registered a nasty comment or dirty look in more "touristy" establishments. Americans on holiday (vacation) tend to be more open minded and forgiving. Also I've noticed places of recreation, such as bike trails, most park greens [0], museums, etc tend to have people who are more open minded, or at the very least, they keep their judgemental attitude to themselves. Likely because they are in a place of enjoyment, and generally everyone is having a good time.

Most nasty stuff comes from places that I'd call "the daily grind", the type of places few people really enjoy going, the grocery store, the municipal (county) office, DMV, Walmart, etc.

That could also be another cause... just the overall "chore like" nature of going to the store. Pile on a bunch of covid restrictions, endless shortages, enormous price increases, the over all political climate, and you've got a recipe for some serious social b.s.

[0] As a creepy crossdressing guy, I make a point to avoid playgrounds and other places where young children congregate for obvious reasons.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
KiltedintheValley

Post by KiltedintheValley »

While wearing a skirt here in the Valley, I get no negative comments. I do notice a few sideways glances now and then. I think most of it comes from my longer hair. Mix that with a nice skirt, and the general public doesn't know how to respond :D

When I travel across the mountain to Charlottesville, I don't get even one sideways glance. That town is much more tolerant than any other I visit on a regular basis.

Yesterday, I wore a denim skirt with a nice button-down shirt to a family gathering at my grandmother's place just North of here. The only comment about my clothing choice was a huge compliment given to me by a cousin. However, yesterday afternoon, the greatest thing that could have ever happened was this: I ran an errand with my father and he introduced me to one of his friends. Yes, I was in a denim skirt. No, my father didn't mention it, nor did his friend. (We happened to be in my hometown at the time. Calling this place conservative would be a gross understatement!) The young ladies at the fireworks stand seemed quite pleased (or maybe they were amused) at my attire as well.

All in all, I just wear skirts as I would any other garment. Every time I wear a skirt in public, it is a non-event.
"Be weird. Be random. Be who you are, because you never know who would love the person you hide." - Alan Watts

Life is too short to talk yourself out of wearing what you want because “I can’t pull off that look”.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

KiltedintheValley wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:40 pm Yesterday, I wore a denim skirt with a nice button-down shirt to a family gathering at my grandmother's place just North of here. The only comment about my clothing choice was a huge compliment given to me by a cousin.
Plain denim skirts don't even raise an eyebrow these days. I find most people don't even notice and those who do just respond with a mental "so what?" You get far more reaction if you wear fluorescent green socks.

I have no idea why they haven't started marketing denim skirts to men in mainstream stores. They are just functional garments like jeans.

Stu
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I don't think it's a matter of how right/left an area is, I think it more or less comes down to how their mama raised them, and if their daddy taught them to mind their own damned business!

There's some people here and there that go on like they are masters of all creation and that they've got the God given right to give people a hard time if those people live lives contrary to their world view...

I've got a message for those self righteous assholes, from one of their own ambassadors...

https://youtu.be/oMKOXZiEhqg

"I ain't asking nobody for nothing, if I can't get it on my own,

If you don't like the way I'm living, you just leave this long haired skirt wearing country boy alone..."
-Andrea