Skirt Dynamics

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Skirt Dynamics

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:59 pmCarl, the shorts worn in the military were generally limited to hot countries such as the Middle East or India. For comfort due to the climate. Think of a programme such as "It Ain't Half Hot, Mum".
Precisely, but the precedent exists -- which is better than nothing. And in an era where climate change is hard upon us, what better an avenue to pursue to overturn obsolete ideas?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

You also had to wear knee high thick socks. On the plus side, the standard issue desert boots were pretty cool!
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Coder wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:25 pm
crfriend wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:56 pm
STEVIE wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:58 amOddly our office dress code is being tightened and shorts banned for all.
What's up with that? It makes little sense. Of course none of this dress-code stuff makes much sense anyway...
Nothing about skirts and no tights though, which leaves me fine yet my male colleagues don't seem to realise they have a choice.
Yes, I smell a quest coming on.
Personally I'm not a fan of shorts - but I don't understand how they aren't professional but a skirt is. I just don't get it. Both can show the same amount of leg.

I've wondered that also legs in shorts or skirts, the same amount of leg is showing.
I have seen some fairly dressy looking shorts. I would think they would/could be the male equivalent to the females skirt. I might be a little biased, but women's legs are more attractive than men's legs.
Let's face it guys, our legs are a little bit more abused, and not quite as shaply as our lady friends.
I have chicken legs, so I'm sure im quite the sight in a skirt or shorts.

Again isn't it funny how we keep coming up with the short stick again. Women still have a choice on what to wear. Men, your stuck with the Sola trousers.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:25 pm Let's face it guys, our legs are a little bit more abused, and not quite as shaply as our lady friends.
I have chicken legs, so I'm sure im quite the sight in a skirt or shorts.
Again isn't it funny how we keep coming up with the short stick again. Women still have a choice on what to wear. Men, your stuck with the Sola trousers.
So very true Mishawakaskirt but this isn't about the aesthetic at all.
The workplace is not an appropriate venue for a fashion show no matter how some folks think.
Who looks good in what is not at issue but the "short stick and Sola trousers" most definitely are.
If I was directed to wear hosiery the employer would be required to apply the same to women and that ain't likely.
The shorts rule appears equivocal but is biased in favour of the women,(and me),who have a choice.
It will require a male who feels secure and committed enough to mount the challenge which has nothing to do with men in skirts.
Apart from the Military Tropics Kit, there may be another precedent from our Colonies and that is Australia. I believe that tailored shorts for men are accepted business apparel. Someone from the Land of Down Under may care to comment please,
Anyhow watch this space it will be a work in progress for a while yet.
Steve.
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

I understand that South Africa always used to have a 'shorts' business suit which also included a sleeveless jacket worn over a short sleeve shirt.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

trainspotter48 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:39 pm I understand that South Africa always used to have a 'shorts' business suit which also included a sleeveless jacket worn over a short sleeve shirt.
This has given me an idea, thanks Trainspotter.
I wonder what the junior ranks from the Foreign Office are expected to wear nowadays in tropical or sub-tropical countries.
A little bit of research too.
Steve.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

An inseam seems to have woven it's way into this thread (sorry of the pun-ishment) :)
The field staff in the National Parks Service here no longer wear shorts as it is considered an OH&S risk with skin cancer. Perhaps in the wet tropics it is different because of cloud and higher humidity.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia