Skirt Dynamics

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Skirt Dynamics

Post by denimini »

Sinned wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:09 am BTW I was at my checkout the other day watching a woman walk out of the store. She was wearing a dress and the way the hem flowed around as she walked captivated me and always was an added factor in why I wear skirts. Not sure if the hem flows in such a way when I walk ( probably doesn't ) but I would like to think occasionally it does.
Skirt movement can be quite captivating to watch and no doubt will vary with the combination of skirt style, anatomical variations, walking style and weather. Some skirts will dance around with any sort of movement regardless of the other factors.
I rarely am conscious of movement when wearing a denim mini, although this evening was an exception when there was a rain storm looming (which in it'self is a rare event) and I did a 100 metre sprint to lock-up the warehouse. I could feel the hem hitting the back of my legs with each stride which felt so good that I ran back again when I had time to walk.
I have a few skater style skirts that I like wearing because I can feel the swishing and dancing of the hem.
Sometimes I can feel the cuffs of my pants moving but that now feels more like shackles.

If you want to see skirt/kilt movement on a man ............ just look at Uncle Al's avatar :)
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Uncle Al

Re: Skirt Dynamics

Post by Uncle Al »

Thanks for noticing Anthony :D

You're the first person to comment on my 'new' Avatar :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

One of the more remarkable moments regarding the motion of skirts came about one time when my late ex- first gave me some grief about a black knife-pleated maxi I'd bought myself, but then witnessed "in action" with me in full high-speed motion and subsequently described it as "arresting".

Long skirts can have minds of their own -- sometimes requiring some work to tame -- but can be bewitching to see in motion. She got an eyeful that evening.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The hem dynamics was always an early fascination of mine regarding dresses and skirts. The longer the hem the more the hem flows. I had a hope that the hems on the skirts I wear would exhibit similar motions which is why I tend towards skater skirts with their long hems, It's good to know that others have similar appreciations.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Those "dynamics" are on full display when I wear midiskirts as I just love they way they swish about my lower legs when I walk, especially skirts made of lighter fabrics. It's great fun for me.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

In certain moderate wind, weather conditions with the right skirt or dress style i have always taken a lot of pleasure in that movement both observed and first hand as it were.
So much so that I called it "riffle" as it evoked in my mind the movement of pages in a book which is another of life's pleasures which could never be digitally replicated,
I'd also say that my altered state of mobility over the past couple of years has actually intensified the appreciation of my skirted riffle. My stride and gait, while dramatically improved, are irrevocably different but every cloud etc.
Out and about on Tuesday in gorgeous summer sunshine, I had on my most voluminous linen skirt, sneakers and bare legs.
I may not have presented the most elegant look but the joy of movement which I experienced was actually quite awesome.
That was in a wee town called Elgin which is a bit north of Aberdeen, the occasion being a catch up with a former colleague whom I have not seen in meat space since the advent of the Covid lockdowns so the pleasure was doubled.
There will even be a photo in due course.
Steve.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I still tend to just wear my old Midas cargo skirts in public, but my favourite skirts around the house and garden are a couple of skater skirts, Navy blue, bought from Amazon (I think). I love the way they move, they are longer than knee length, which I like, I miss having pockets though. They are so easy to wear, apart from in breezy conditions where I am never quite sure how far they are lifting, might not be wise in public since I don't wear those things we don't mention!
The fabric has also gone bobbly, I wouldn't mind buying more from a fabric which doesn't bobble so much, also open to ideas for lighter cotton skirts which will go around my equator, about 44 to 46 inches these days.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

A winter outfit with a gust of wind. A Dotti brand, 12" plaid skirt with bright orange lining:
Dotti_flip_s.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

denimini wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:09 am A winter outfit with a gust of wind:
Hi Denimini
Yeah a great look but our definitions of wintry and windy vary by a wide margin.
It is summer here and hot by our modest standards, the 20s C, My mode has been linen or cotton skirts and dresses.
Quite full and floaty you could say. Light breeze and bare legs just add up to the greatest comfort.
Oddly our office dress code is being tightened and shorts banned for all.
Nothing about skirts and no tights though, which leaves me fine yet my male colleagues don't seem to realise they have a choice.
That is my next mission in life.
Steve,
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:58 amOddly our office dress code is being tightened and shorts banned for all.
What's up with that? It makes little sense. Of course none of this dress-code stuff makes much sense anyway...
Nothing about skirts and no tights though, which leaves me fine yet my male colleagues don't seem to realise they have a choice.
Yes, I smell a quest coming on.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:56 pm
STEVIE wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:58 amOddly our office dress code is being tightened and shorts banned for all.
What's up with that? It makes little sense. Of course none of this dress-code stuff makes much sense anyway...
Yes, I smell a quest coming on.
Personally I'm not a fan of shorts - but I don't understand how they aren't professional but a skirt is. I just don't get it. Both can show the same amount of leg.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Up to March 2020 our office dress code stated that shorts were not considered appropriate for males or females.
At no time has there been a requirement for hosiery to be worn with a skirt.
The advent of Covid saw all the restrictions being lifted but mow we are returning to business as usual.
The no shorts rule is discriminatory against men when there is no requirement for women to wear hosiery with a skirt.
The effective message is that it is not OK to see a male with bare legs.
My quest will really be to quash that notion but not by trying to get more men skirted.
The fact is that many men just do not see skirts as a valid alternative so I don't see it working.
Steve
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:14 pmThe effective message is that it is not OK to see a male with bare legs.
What of the assorted tropical/hot weather military uniforms and civil-service uniforms once in use in your empire? There certainly should be a starting point for a powerful argument, because some of those were decidedly sharp-looking.
My quest will really be to quash that notion but not by trying to get more men skirted.
That's worthy, and likely a hill that can be taken. Getting over the "skirt hill" will take a lot more effort.
The fact is that many men just do not see skirts as a valid alternative so I don't see it working.
That's sad, but very, very true.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

crfriend wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:54 pm What of the assorted tropical/hot weather military uniforms and civil-service uniforms once in use in your empire? There certainly should be a starting point for a powerful argument, because some of those were decidedly sharp-looking.
There were no, or very very few women involved in those halcyon colonial days.
Nobody, unless of a certain status in life was consulted anyway.
The Scottish Soldier wore the kilt from desert to frozen wastes.
crfriend wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:54 pm That's sad, but very, very true.
And disappointing from my viewpoint although I have never made it a personal objective. I would have liked to think that after all these years at least some male colleagues would be smelling the coffee.
Here is an interesting thought. They have no problem with me but don't "approve" enough to try it for themselves.
I wonder why?
Steve.
Last edited by Uncle Al on Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: BBCode formating
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Carl, the shorts worn in the military were generally limited to hot countries such as the Middle East or India. For comfort due to the climate. Think of a programme such as "It Ain't Half Hot, Mum".
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.