Shopping

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Shopping

Post by rivegauche »

No, this isn't about my latest retail haul. I was buying a dress from may favourite boutique on Friday (bought a dress which I tried on despite being dressed as a trousered man). I have shopped with this lady for years and we know each other as friends. She and her daughter said they felt sorry for men with the restricted choice they have, and the thought of going shopping for yet another example of an item they already have several of in their wardrobe. Men shopping for "yet another blue short" were denied the pleasure of browsing and encountering garments that were gloriously different in terms of style, colour and material. Ironically, when it comes to shopping, it is the man who is denied the thrill of the hunt. There are far more retail outlets for womenswear than menswear, but because of the lack of choice we only need something new when something we already have wears out. Though there is now more choice in shirts and woollens than there used to be it is still a long way short of the choice women have even if you consider comparable garments. Women even have significantly more choice than we have in trousers. It would help the retail recovery of men realised that the world doesn't fall in if you go out in a skirt, and how much fun they are to wear. For me a lot of the pleasure of womenswear is this variety and the huge choice I have of what to wear when I get up in the morning. Those who have continued to earn as before in lockdown almost have a moral obligation to go out there and spend some money - ideally in your local boutiques.