Sitting in Skirts and Kilts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Max

Sitting in Skirts and Kilts

Post by Max »

When I sit in a skirt, I sit with knees together and ankles crossed. It is also how I sit when wearing slacks. Sometimes, I sit with my legs crossed at the knees. This comes natural to me. It is rare that my legs are splayed.

I hope to buy my first kilt soon. I like the highland gray pictured below. I am thinking 5 yard, 13 oz. wool. I have spent a considerable amount of time looking at kilts on various websites.

highland-grey-kilt.jpg

A couple days ago I came across a video by USA Kilts demonstrating how to sit in a kilt. I then Googled how to sit in a kilt. I was surprised that every source, but one, stated that the "correct" way to sit in a kilt was to spread my legs and stuff the sporran between my thighs.

1) I will not wear a sporran. I think they look ridiculous.

2) I think it looks crude to sit that way, even in pants.

3) Because I am long accustomed to sitting with my knees together, modesty when sitting in a kilt is not an issue.

I did come across a single source that suggests that I sit as I am naturally inclined to sit. I am guessing that those of us who wear skirts keep our knees together when sitting.

Having said ALL that, I have two questions:

1) Those of you who wear kilts, do you sit with knees apart or with knees together?

2) Those of you who wear both skirts and kilts, do you sit differently in kilts than you sit in skirts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sitting in Skirts and Kilts

Post by JeffB1959 »

I've never worn a kilt, but, when it comes to skirts (or, in my case, dresses), I sit with my legs crossed either at the knees or ankles. That's as natural to me as breathing. In addition, I always smooth the back of my skirt before I sit, that's also natural to me.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I have a kilt that I haven't worn in years. In fact I am just about to put it in the freezer for 48hrs to make sure that any moth larvae are killed off before hanging it in a moth-proof cover.

I am Scottish and live in Scotland and occasionally hear the loudly expressed voices of the kilt police. I have never heard anyone asserting that you should sit with your legs apart. Wearing your kilt without a sporran is a probably a much bigger crime in their eyes than the way you sit.

Ignore such voices. Do your own thing. Personally I share your views on sitting with your legs spread - I think it looks uncouth and manspreading should be illegal whatever you are wearing. Don't let the kilt wear you - you should wear the kilt the way you want to.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

The HEM length of the kilt or skirt will play a prime major part in how one sits -
legs crossed - pinched closed - spread apart - turned to one side or the other.

AND then the obvious whether something is exposed in the process of sitting.
A chance flash sighting in the act not much of a deal unless one makes it to be.
Continuous flashing is not to be condoned to further male kilt/skirt wearing !

Shorter HEM lengths present increasing degrees of this.

For the standard 6 foot bloke the knee to navel measurement would be
24 inches of hem - still yet careless sitting will not cover everything.
The sporran or a weighted bag over the flat aprons is most helpful.

I remember a while back of a photo of a kilted performer sitting
on a curb with legs splayed W-I-D-E apart and the title to this picture
as something to do with "Nuts" and I will leave the rest to your imagination !

As Jeff has noted when sitting brushing the hand over the pleats or even
the back side of a skirt is useful in limiting any chance of exposure.

An amusing LINK on a similar note theme:
How to get out of a car without showing your knickers

https://www.bing.com/search?q=how+to+ge ... 15e6460346
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Max wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:29 am When I sit in a skirt, I sit with knees together and ankles crossed. It is also how I sit when wearing slacks. Sometimes, I sit with my legs crossed at the knees. This comes natural to me. It is rare that my legs are splayed.

I hope to buy my first kilt soon. I like the highland gray pictured below. I am thinking 5 yard, 13 oz. wool. I have spent a considerable amount of time looking at kilts on various websites.

highland-grey-kilt.jpg

A couple days ago I came across a video by USA Kilts demonstrating how to sit in a kilt. I then Googled how to sit in a kilt. I was surprised that every source, but one, stated that the "correct" way to sit in a kilt was to spread my legs and stuff the sporran between my thighs.

1) I will not wear a sporran. I think they look ridiculous.

2) I think it looks crude to sit that way, even in pants.

3) Because I am long accustomed to sitting with my knees together, modesty when sitting in a kilt is not an issue.

I did come across a single source that suggests that I sit as I am naturally inclined to sit. I am guessing that those of us who wear skirts keep our knees together when sitting.

Having said ALL that, I have two questions:

1) Those of you who wear kilts, do you sit with knees apart or with knees together?

2) Those of you who wear both skirts and kilts, do you sit differently in kilts than you sit in skirts?
I sit like Prince Charles when kilted, rather than legs spread. Naturally, as I am frequently wearing tight pencil skirts draws my knees together without me flashing unintentionally. The occasional flash is to be expected, comes with the territory of the garment, but when I see guys manspreading in kilts with a sporran attempting to hide their junk, it's just, ugh.

Dark underwear and stockings help me. Knees together or legs crossed helps with modesty. Sometimes knees ever slightly apart with ankles spread outwards but feet pointing in (a little bit of a naughty pose) is good for getting some air up your skirt on a warmer day :ugeek:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

For me, it's quite rare that I spread my legs. Up to now, each time I was sitting somewhere in skirt publicly, it was a circle skirt just below knees. Spreading legs would not flash with that skirt, but I pay some attention to not do it - as usual - especially when there are people around me.
But the way I'm sitting is quite... variable. Most of the time, my legs are crossed (at knees or feets), or in lotus position, or in semi-lotus like now (a feet under the opposite thigh, and the leg being normally positionned), or my legs bent (one pointing the sky, one being horizontal), the two knees pointing the sky, in the japanese "seiza" position (and the same with only one leg), and even sitting legs together with feet to butt and on either the right or left leg... etc. I think I'm most frequently in lotus or in a similar position than any other position.
RADIATE

Post by RADIATE »

Max wrote:
When I sit in a skirt, I sit with knees together and ankles crossed. It is
also how I sit when wearing slacks. Sometimes, I sit with my legs crossed
at the knees. This comes natural to me. It is rare that my legs are
> splayed.
>
> I did come across a single
> source that suggests that I sit as I am naturally inclined to sit
. I
> am guessing that those of us who wear skirts keep our knees together when
> sitting.

The same technique for both.

I'm naturally inclined to have *some* spread. Never splayed or "manspread", but roughly shoulder width, or a bit more. Usually not a big issue with my preferred knee-length skirts or kilts. Even with a lightweight hiking kilt, there's adequate material to allow it to bunch up between the legs, ensuring dignity with your legs moderately apart. The trick is to get it all there without being too obvious. Discrete technique is based on picture #2 of the Wikihow link. Using both hands, smooth the pleats of your kilt against your body. They should lie flat against your body, so that you sit on your pleats. Then, as you sit down (with feet approximately shoulder width apart), rotate both hands up & over the quadriceps into your lap, as though you were going to sit with hands folded, but putting slight downward pressure to ensure the material bunches in the middle. Also similar to the USA Kilts video, minus the sporran, & using both hands. The key is to keep pressure on the skirt as you rotate your hands up and over, pulling any loose material into the slight gap between your legs. Done properly, it wont be obvious at all. Just one smooth motion, takes only a second or two.
Last edited by RADIATE on Tue May 04, 2021 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Nice looking grey kilt, Max and I like the length, too. Just above the knee is perfect, actually if you're not marching in a pipe band !

Tom.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Just got hold of these to illustrate points made in earlier posts

I go for knee length or slightly above. In this case about an inch. This Thompson Camel no. is 23" to the hem, but knees together or crossed are all that's allowable. Found those matching funky shoes irresistible. Not sure what function I'd wear them to, though..

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Max

Post by Max »

Thank you all for the input. It is deeply appreciated.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Pleats help with sitting in an 11" mini skirt, allowing enough drape.
Shein_pleated denim_P3104678s.jpg
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia