That rare male compliment

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: That rare male compliment

Post by ScotL »

Dust wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:51 am
ScotL wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:31 pm About getting gifted a skirt. Do you think they would have given it to you if you hadn’t been known to wear a kilt?
Absolutely not. And I was cool with it, and actually a bit disappointed it didn't fit, even if it wasn't my style. They might have thought it was a kilt, or close enough. It was plaid. I didn't take it as malicious.

I got a few negative comments in college, but not many. The most memorable was an overheard comment by some girl who thought it was gross that I wore the same one two days in a row.*

The other memorable moment was when I got wolf-whistled by the wife of one of my professors. She was also an adjunct there (I never had her for a class), and probably older than my parents. Not sure you could call it negative, but also not what I was going for. I can look back and laugh now but I was a bit stunned at the time.

* I only owned a few at the time, and never thought anything of wearing the same pair of jeans two days in a row, but the kilt gets noticed, so I try to mix it up now.
Yeah, that’s the point I was trying to make. Gifting a skirt to someone you don't know is interested in wearing one would come off weird.

Wolf whistles. Ha! Wore a kilt in the metro and got that. Didnt register at first but it was obviously for me cause when I looked at the source they were staring right at me and one was pointing. They were smiling but didn't appear to be mocking. But who knows. Threw me off but as I was in a foreign city, i didn’t really care. Actually likely hardened my resolve.

Love that the negative comment in college was not about the kilt but about wearing it twice. Can totally see it. Be nervous that she was gonna call you out fir wearing a kilt and instead she was worried about hygiene. Classic
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

I have gone over all comments on this,

My take on it is very simple. Real Estate Agent was doing his job. And part of that is being as polite as possible.
Make your potential clients feel at ease with working with you,
With that being said, The compliment on your skirt could have been genuine or not,
Simple truth is at the end of the day the agent wants to close a deal.

There is no way to know if the agent likes or hates skirts.
If you were to gift him one. He would accept it say thank you. He might even talk about it. Who knows,

But once deal is done and both party's part ways ether skirt will get trashed or put away,
He might even do follow up interview wearing it in hopes to get deal.
Might keep notes on the sale or potential sale and note U wore skirt,
There is no way to know ether way what this person really did think.

Step away from this part and look at gifting another man a skirt.
If the guy has talked about wearing one or already, do it can still be seen as odd for
some men. Thats a given. If gifted from a woman, the dynamics change as well.

But gift to someone that just met, don't know if there into skirts.
Would come off as weird to say the least. I would have no prob getting skirt from my wife,
But would be odd if i got one from my next-door Neighbour.
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by Chirp » Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:01 am

I think you missed a critical one: When Coder suggested "gifting" one he was being facetious -- and ended his post "I was just kidding"

We sometimes twist these posts like the telephone game and it is a wonder we ever communicate clearly!

I'm not wasting my time gifting any guy -- except myself, with a skirt! :P
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Faldaguy wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:32 am
by Chirp » Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:01 am

I think you missed a critical one: When Coder suggested "gifting" one he was being facetious -- and ended his post "I was just kidding"

We sometimes twist these posts like the telephone game and it is a wonder we ever communicate clearly!

I'm not wasting my time gifting any guy -- except myself, with a skirt! :P
Yes - it was not a serious suggestion! Sometimes it is hard to convey our tone with just words, especially on the internet when we don't really know each other's humor.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

With all the talk of various celebs speaking out, or showing up in skirt/dress outfits and getting kudos for it; I think we are missing one our better indicators of acceptance; "That rare male compliment". Celebs can get away with pretty much anything they wish; but so-called normal guys are not only constrained by the unspoken rules of conformity in their regimentation, they can't even speak of such things! So, when one does cross that invisible line to acknowledge, in a positive way, a man in a skirt or dress ---now THAT takes guts.

So, I'm still inclined to give them their due, with a thank you when it does happen. A couple days ago, in Safeway -- standing in the pharmacy line, a chap behind me commented on my skirt--frankly I did not catch the word he used, but he was nodding to the skirt and used the word 'nice' as well. My response was I found them comfortable and hoped more men would ditch the conformity imposed upon them. He asked if I was "German" which I think went with the word I did not catch -- maybe 'umgehen'. Not only did he have the 'balls' to acknowledge and compliment a male in such attire, he did so in line of patrons where several clearly overheard our brief exchange as we continued down the queue -- I think these rare occasions warrant our best to give these men what encouragement we can to put them at ease in their speaking out. It doesn't happen often, and I've been too busy of late to post much, but I have had 4-or 5 of these brief, but positive interactions with strangers of the male gender over the past few months--which is more than in past years -- so hey, maybe things are getting a bit better.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I found myself out on the street in an orange dress the other day, alongside two couple in passing cars who had stopped to check on the well-being of a small dog that was wandering about. I just happened to be wearing it while working at home, and didn't have time to alter my costume before nipping out in case I needed a photo of the dog for local social media. We found the dog's owner (my new next door neighbours), but one young man troubled to say "I like your dress". I wasn't looking him in the eye so I couldn't gauge his intent, and merely said "thank you". I think he just felt an overwhelming urge to make some sort of comment: a non-confrontational acknowledgement of my eccentric appearance.

I wasn't too apprehensive of wearing a dress in front of random strangers, but I did find myself inhibited from actually knocking on the neighbours' door myself. I don't want to get labelled as a complete weirdo (just a moderate weirdo).
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:40 pm I found myself out on the street in an orange dress the other day, alongside two couple in passing cars who had stopped to check on the well-being of a small dog that was wandering about. I just happened to be wearing it while working at home, and didn't have time to alter my costume before nipping out in case I needed a photo of the dog for local social media. We found the dog's owner (my new next door neighbours), but one young man troubled to say "I like your dress". I wasn't looking him in the eye so I couldn't gauge his intent, and merely said "thank you". I think he just felt an overwhelming urge to make some sort of comment: a non-confrontational acknowledgement of my eccentric appearance.

I wasn't too apprehensive of wearing a dress in front of random strangers, but I did find myself inhibited from actually knocking on the neighbours' door myself. I don't want to get labelled as a complete weirdo (just a moderate weirdo).

An orange anything is likely to evoke a comment as it’s not a common color for most to wear. Even though it’s an awesome color. Add to the fact you were wearing a dress, and well, wow. That’s really bold in my book. But in a good way. As in kudos for wearing whatever you wanted to. Icing on the cake was a positive comment. That even if the “positive” comment wasn’t positive, your polite “you’re welcome” shoots holes through any left handed compliment. Nicely done
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

We have an interesting neighbor, a paraplegic ex-marine who is frequently loudly cursing his dog. I went over to share some fresh fish with him and as I was leaving he commented, "You look pretty good for a guy." I was barefoot and shirtless and wearing a short denim skirt. Seemed odd, but this guy is odd in lots of ways.
big_daddy_thong

Post by big_daddy_thong »

I went to church yesterday and wore my new adidas powder blue unisex skirt. My wife said I guess we are both wearing skirts today. This was a brave move on my part, since I attend a catholic parish and it is very conservative. I was not sure how I would be received in this public venue. It was Mother's day and one of the men in the Knights of Columbus asked me to hand out flowers to the ladies after mass. When mass ended I went to the door with a couple of other guys. One fellow knight named Paul mentioned that I was wearing an interesting outfit. I was wearing my adidas kilt with a black polo shirt and clogs. He asked me if I was Scottish or Irish, I laughed since I'm African American. But he said I look great in that outfit. I said I hope so, since my wife approved and let me out of the house with it on. :D :) :D
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

big_daddy_thong wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:20 pm I went to church yesterday and wore my new adidas powder blue unisex skirt. My wife said I guess we are both wearing skirts today. This was a brave move on my part, since I attend a catholic parish and it is very conservative. I was not sure how I would be received in this public venue. It was Mother's day and one of the men in the Knights of Columbus asked me to hand out flowers to the ladies after mass. When mass ended I went to the door with a couple of other guys. One fellow knight named Paul mentioned that I was wearing an interesting outfit. I was wearing my adidas kilt with a black polo shirt and clogs. He asked me if I was Scottish or Irish, I laughed since I'm African American. But he said I look great in that outfit. I said I hope so, since my wife approved and let me out of the house with it on. :D :) :D
This gives me a bit of hope! My parish sounds exactly like yours, at least in the brief description you've given.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

big_daddy_thong wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:20 pm He asked me if I was Scottish or Irish, I laughed since I'm African American.
Well, I recently saw a historical profile focusing on Black Scots, so it's not impossible!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

big_daddy_thong wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:20 pm I went to church yesterday and wore my new adidas powder blue unisex skirt. My wife said I guess we are both wearing skirts today. This was a brave move on my part, since I attend a catholic parish and it is very conservative. I was not sure how I would be received in this public venue. It was Mother's day and one of the men in the Knights of Columbus asked me to hand out flowers to the ladies after mass. When mass ended I went to the door with a couple of other guys. One fellow knight named Paul mentioned that I was wearing an interesting outfit. I was wearing my adidas kilt with a black polo shirt and clogs. He asked me if I was Scottish or Irish, I laughed since I'm African American. But he said I look great in that outfit. I said I hope so, since my wife approved and let me out of the house with it on. :D :) :D
Wow, you wore the blue one! I have the black one and really find it nice. But not sure I have the courage to wear the powder blue one.

Love your rejoinder though about your wife letting you out of the house. That remark definitely strikes the chord of “if a woman is ok with it on a man” everyone is.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

ScotL wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:15 pm
Love your rejoinder though about your wife letting you out of the house. That remark definitely strikes the chord of “if a woman is ok with it on a man” everyone is.
More accurately, “if a woman is ok with in her man”
big_daddy_thong

Post by big_daddy_thong »

I wore my new navy blue yoga skirt with a six inch compression shorts built in and side pockets to hot yoga today and a blue thong bodysuit underneath and a blue under armour tanktop. Most of the time It's the ladies that give me props, but today one of the yoga guys I'm friends with said that I look great in that outfit.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

greenboots wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:39 am
ScotL wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:15 pm
More accurately, “if a woman is ok with in her man”
Well said, sir