Men's Kilt by Dangerfied in stores

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Men's Kilt by Dangerfied in stores

Post by Jim »

howardfh wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:46 pm Regarding the above comments about uncomfortable fabric (scratching etc) I wonder how many of us have worn an underskirt under our skirts? I haven't but often considered it if the skirt's particularly itchy.
I don't have any particularly itchy skirts, but when it's colder I'll do it for warmth.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

We've had a dry but cold chilly April so far with frosts most nights. This means that my obligatory dog-walk in the early mornings require all areas to be wrapped up very well, gloves on also. Thick tights over my Neanderthal unshaven legs don't itch at all, so no problem with chaffing or rubbing. My thighs don't touch as I walk....Neither do they when I do the splits either :eye:

Afternoons are different, Demure length 'minis are favoured, no tights, just socks & slip-on shoes. Kilts are also handy....the wrap round & clip-on is quick and I simply love the feel of them. Just succumbed to temptation and ordered a 'hybrid' kilt in dark green with Gordon dress Modern tartan in the pleat reveals, plus matching hose & flashes. (UK Kilts) Not by Dangerfield.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Chirp wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:52 pm Odds are more woman will buy them for there
other half then men that walk in to get one.
Very good point Chirp and like all good little boys they will wear what they are told to.
Of the ones who do purchase for themselves, most will have consulted and obtained the consent of the women in their lives.
As for underskirts, I do wear one occasionally but for warmth or because of the translucence of some skirts and dresses.
Scratchy is for winter and that just means thicker tights.
Steve.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

I happened to be in the area yesterday where these guys have a store (about 10 minutes from my place) when I was getting a few things so I went in to check it out.
The store is almost completely non-gendered and the staff there told me that that's the plan, and it's proving very popular with a wider than expected range of clientele, and in the last 12 months they've been doing well in the current economic climate.
They do not have a specific men's and women's "side" of the store, which is great to see.

I was not able to see any of their kilts because they were sold out, there was a guy in with his partner while I was there who was also asking about them. They had a women's type of pinafore there which was made of the same type of fabric which looked fairly hardwearing and not very heavy like a traditional wool kilt.
The girl in the shop did say that she hopes to see more men wearing these types of things, and she said the demand is strong going by the way they've sold out so quickly. She said that as we know, we're the only ones limiting our choices and clothes are clothes. She was probably in her early to mid 30s as a guess, and not tattooed that I could see.

She said that they're expecting more to come in as weather cools a bit towards our winter, but there's still stock online.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I see they had rompers/playsuits too - they called them something else but they were so similar except they had a longer leg and not higher cur on our hips or so leg lengthening.

I do find some of the tattoos/ ink on the models wearing the clothes a bit distasteful for my liking. I can deal with delicate or smaller tattoos but most of the ink work looked very chunky/prison style/ in your face kind of ink? Not my cup of tea.

Interesting to see they have sold out though...
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

NZF,

I tend to agree with you on the overdone ink...
I see people, mostly women with tattoos all over their legs and arms. A lot of it is very well done and quite cool art, but there's a lot that that I don't like, but it's a matter of personal taste I guess. What will that full leg etc artwork look like in 50 or 60 years time....
I personally dislike facial tattoos, period.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

6ft3Aussie wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:26 am What will that full leg etc artwork look like in 50 or 60 years time....
thats wny I have never had any tattoos myself - although I am quite interested in getting a small tasteful tattoo on my foot, inside of my foot arch or ankle. Something small and not coloured.
Skaterswaltz

Post by Skaterswaltz »

It all comes down to acceptance and seeing the other person. It's what we would prefer when out there skirted. If people prefer to display tattoos, that's up to them. If we don't like it, suck it up buttercup.
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtRevolution »

6ft3Aussie wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:40 am I happened to be in the area yesterday where these guys have a store (about 10 minutes from my place) when I was getting a few things so I went in to check it out.
The store is almost completely non-gendered and the staff there told me that that's the plan, and it's proving very popular with a wider than expected range of clientele, and in the last 12 months they've been doing well in the current economic climate.
They do not have a specific men's and women's "side" of the store, which is great to see.

I was not able to see any of their kilts because they were sold out, there was a guy in with his partner while I was there who was also asking about them. They had a women's type of pinafore there which was made of the same type of fabric which looked fairly hardwearing and not very heavy like a traditional wool kilt.
The girl in the shop did say that she hopes to see more men wearing these types of things, and she said the demand is strong going by the way they've sold out so quickly. She said that as we know, we're the only ones limiting our choices and clothes are clothes. She was probably in her early to mid 30s as a guess, and not tattooed that I could see.

She said that they're expecting more to come in as weather cools a bit towards our winter, but there's still stock online.
I took these pics at Robina on the Gold Coast, what store did you checkout? Because, I have talked to both girls at Robina and they were also thrilled with seeing the kilts being made available for men and they also said they have become really popular.

I personally will be wearing more of my kilts now. The tartan look is in at the moment, this is our chance to capitalise of this and give the kilt some exposure as a casually everyday option. Who knows, it could just turn the tide for us men into mainstream fashion
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

SkirtRevolution wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:01 am I took these pics at Robina on the Gold Coast, what store did you checkout? Because, I have talked to both girls at Robina and they were also thrilled with seeing the kilts being made available for men and they also said they have become really popular.

I personally will be wearing more of my kilts now. The tartan look is in at the moment, this is our chance to capitalise of this and give the kilt some exposure as a casually everyday option. Who knows, it could just turn the tide for us men into mainstream fashion
I was at the Carindale store, which is only 10 minutes from my place. There was two women working there, one in her probably mid to late 20s and the other almost certainly in her 30s. They seemed very happy that kilts like this are out there now in the retail stores, and they said they hoped to see more men wearing them.
They were sold out and did say they were definitely going to get more in.
They had a very positive approach to clothes, and one of them said to me that they have sold out and that word of mouth appears to be a major advertising means for their kilts, and that it wasn't just the under 25s buying them, and yes, often couples have been buying them for him as well.

They did say that the fabric was the same as that used for the "womens" pleated skirts, which is cotton I think, and I felt one of those and it's definitely not scratchy.

I take it that you reduced their stock by at least one? would be interested in seeing a picture of one in real life.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

It looks like Dangerfield has a couple of new offerings in the range of skirt/kilts marketed towards the guys.

https://shop.dangerfield.com.au/catalog ... =1&limit=4

Hopefully they are all as popular as the earlier two that have been in their stores.

Good on these guys for offering alternatives to the other 50% of the population.
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bertino56 »

Is any U.S. retailer selling these Dangerfield products?
Or has anybody in the U.S. ordered them from Australia?
At the current exchange rate, one Australian dollar is 77 cents American.
As for the itchy scratchy woolies, I noticed that G.Lieberman (normally a
provider of men's legwear) is selling a kilt-liner (i.e., a slip) for exactly
that purpose. If I can find that link again, I will post it.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Bertino56 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:33 pm Is any U.S. retailer selling these Dangerfield products?

Or has anybody in the U.S. ordered them from Australia?

At the current exchange rate, one Australian dollar is 77 cents American.

As for the itchy scratchy woolies, I noticed that G.Lieberman (normally a
provider of men's legwear) is selling a kilt-liner (i.e., a slip) for exactly
that purpose. If I can find that link again, I will post it.
1 - I wouldn't think so.
2 - Not that I'm aware of, but there's no harm in trying, I have no doubt that they could ship to US customers, just pay for the shipping.
3 - The $AUD - $USD exchange rate is quite stable at the moment, I don't think there would be much change in the foreseeable future.
4 - These "kilts" are made from cotton, not wool, so they're much lighter than the traditional woolen item, really, more of a kilt style pleated skirt. As they're made from cotton, they are not scratchy and no liners etc would be required.
A google search of the above retailer name found their site straight away.

Size wise, I am a 38", which translates to a Large in their men's sizes, but I'm sure that you could email them and ask if there's any doubts.
It's good to see that the men's sizes are S, M, L and XL, and in some things their size is standard inches. The women's sizes are the usual 6, 8, 10 etc, the plus (curve) sizes are up to about 22 or so, which is most likely to be similar to the sizes that would be in US shops.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

I just check back on these guys' website, and they're now showing 6 "kilts" online marketed towards men.
One style in particular looks quite gothy and definitely alternative, but they could be paired with other fairly normal clothing.

https://shop.dangerfield.com.au/catalog ... 1&limit=12

Again these have been very popular and selling well. Some items are on sale with as much as 50% off the normal price.
Quality is good.