what to wear underneath?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
bretthov

what to wear underneath?

Post by bretthov »

There may be posts or articles on this already, but new to the site and have only worn skirts at home or while going out for drive through food type of deal. Even with this limited wear, I notice some chafing on my thighs that I was not used to. I was wondering if others have this same problem. if so, what do you do - have though about longer boxer brief underwear or even half slip or petti pant slips.

Also, now that it is getting warmer, do you usually wear longer or shorter socks with casual skirts - i.e. something like a denim or jersey fabric type of skirt. I'll be starting with that out in public and then working my way up to more dressy skirts that I'll look to wear in the office.

Anyone with suggestions or recommendations? would appreciate any links for things you've had success with?
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: what to wear underneath?

Post by Kirbstone »

I was under the impression that on this Forum it was 'streng verboten' to discuss undies.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:01 pmI was under the impression that on this Forum it was 'streng verboten' to discuss undies.
The operational interpretation of that is that it is specifically verboten to discuss that with which we gird our loins. Other than that, if the intent is to alter the external appearance or behaviour of a garment it's OK as well as offhand discussion of components that are on general display to the public when one is "out and about".

In short, it's about not allowing "pnaties" to dominate discussion as that leans into the fetish realm which this community is not about. We don't care if anybody has such a fetish, it's simply not relevant here and will attract unwanted and unneeded attention.

Petticoats, yes -- they alter the outward appearance of the visible components; slips. somewhat, as they alter the motion and can reduce laundering requirements. Legwear -- below the hemline -- yes, as it's visible to the general public. Ditto socks.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Many wear panty hose and or tights. Personally I do not wear either nor do I wear socks.
I go bare legged and do not worry about what my legs look like. The only time I wear anything on my legs is when I am flying or doing a long haul drive. Then I wear compression stockings in about the 15 lbs range of compression.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Whether or not something unmentionable is worn by the savage beast is not of concern.
One should be aware of the laws and local customs of exposure least committing an infraction.

All that noted - whew !!!

The OP was concerned about:
Even with this limited wear, I notice some chafing on my thighs that I was not used to

Is this chafing on the bare inner thighs - as in the legs (thighs) rubbing together ?
Reducing contact or lubricating the area may help.
First off being of healthy form and not pleasingly over compensated with flesh reduces the contact area.
I don't think that slips are going to help here as the slip does not fall or flow into the inner thigh area.
Maybe pettipants - petticoats with leg holes would work.
Wearing an athletic compression short of slippery smooth fabric may help.
Tight fitting leg hobbling skirts aka pencil skirt types are not a realistic solution to this problem -
What is needed is W-I-D-E hem skaters cheerleader type skirt freely opening and not condensing the contact area.
Maybe a few trips around the rodeo arena will decrease the contact area think bow leg.
Other solutions involving diet and exercise - if the contact condition persists.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Like many articles of clothing, changes in customary wear and fabric may be noticeable or a tad uncomfortable at the onset. You said you are new to more frequent skirt wearing and thus your legs are less accustom to contact -- much like taking up a job with more manual hand tools, they may take a bit of time to adjust to the new norm. I find temperature and humidity the most prevalent factors, so I adjust my chosen skirt style to meet the criteria of warmth, air and leg movement. Good luck.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I would think smooth legs would make for less of an issue here?
I've been hairless on my legs for years - and I have never had any issues like this and wear skirts always.

I look after my legs and exfoliate/moisturise daily too - so perhaps that might help?

Smooth and moisturised is the way to go I think. Otherwise it could be like sandpaper there?

As for socks - I wear bare feet in my shoes - sometimes stockings/hosiery, but mostly prefer the simplicity of a bare leg.

cheers
NZF
hillaryskirt

Post by hillaryskirt »

crfriend wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:17 pm
Kirbstone wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:01 pmI was under the impression that on this Forum it was 'streng verboten' to discuss undies.
The operational interpretation of that is that it is specifically verboten to discuss that with which we gird our loins. Other than that, if the intent is to alter the external appearance or behaviour of a garment it's OK as well as offhand discussion of components that are on general display to the public when one is "out and about".

In short, it's about not allowing "pnaties" to dominate discussion as that leans into the fetish realm which this community is not about. We don't care if anybody has such a fetish, it's simply not relevant here and will attract unwanted and unneeded attention.

Petticoats, yes -- they alter the outward appearance of the visible components; slips. somewhat, as they alter the motion and can reduce laundering requirements. Legwear -- below the hemline -- yes, as it's visible to the general public. Ditto socks.
Thank you so much that has really made all of this clear.
I own four or five 'classic' (longer, full, A-line) petticoats and I can honestly say that they are free of fetishistic association and adhere to my views on inner 'skirt structure' BENEFITTING THE OUTER SKIRT SHAPE to the outward eye.

I am very fond of slips - and yes if only for laundering issues and like their pretty, satin-look presence in my utility/drying room where they are regular tenants - but keep this free from public discussion here as I know the rules.

H
"The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner.
happykilt

Post by happykilt »

bretthov wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:05 pm ...
Even with this limited wear, I notice some chafing on my thighs that I was not used to.
They sell thigh bands for that. Never used, but looks like they might be useful, if not wanting to wear stockings or tights.
https://www.bandelettes.com/shop/
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

As regards the chafing of inner thighs, may I suggest some underwear that has recently been advertised on tele - "Step One" - stepone.life. Not the sexiest garment but I'll leave it at that nd make no further comment under Cafe rules.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

In hot weather I ditch the tights, which gives a wonderful sense of freedom and comfort on muggy days. I have asked women why they persist in wearing trousers in stifling heat, and the answer was 'chub rub'. I am fortunate that I don't get this, but there is a garment specially made to cope with this by Snags (who advertise that their tights are for all genders). https://snagtights.com/collections/what ... orts-black
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I had never thought of chafing,
I suppose because my knees would be well and truly bruised before any chance of chafing.
It does sound like one of the very few problems with skirts for some people. Seems like a need for some sort of bifurcated undergarment that is long enough to act as a slip joint in the area required and a corresponding skirt of a length to cover the aforesaid item, unless the aforsaid item is of a nature that it is meant to be visible and in that case the aforesaid item can be mentioned and refered to as tights or leggings, as the case may be.
An alternative is to wear two separate items, one on each leg, and as such can also be mentioned and refered to as stockings, hose or long socks. A possible variation on this could be to wear leg warmers which are open both ends and can be positioned anywhere along the length of the said limb, hence it would be possible to wear them where a slip joint is required and still have bare legs below the hem line and without the encroachment and discomfort of an inseam.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

two suggestion:
1- decrease tight size
2 talc powder
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

For me its compression tights or panty hose,

I wear compression tights most of the time for heath probs,
And on that note i will say that compression tights have saved my legs,
My ankles and lower legs were getting swollen and painfull. Never been able to find
root cause to it but hours sitting driving a truck is a factor,
But after almost 4 years of non stop wearing compression tights and my legs are 95% back to normal.
So there are heath advantages to compression tights.
Down side is jeans and tights are very hot in summer, Skirts are so much better,

As for your prob with chafing. Just try other things, if its something short not be seen, Spandix bike shorts, to shape wear, Boxers Tights that u can cut, Good luck,
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
bretthov

Post by bretthov »

thanks all for the feedback - some good suggestions. I figured those who have been wearing skirts a while know more than I. Will look to try the recommendations out and experiment to see what works best. I live in the midwest, so this may only be an issue as the weather gets warmer and is a non issue in fall and winter. My office is usually colder, so that may help, too, when we go back to working full time in the office again.