Say WHAT??????????

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Regular Guy

Say WHAT??????????

Post by Regular Guy »

A little background refresh.....I have been wearing skirts/kilts for about 5-6 years. Commonly around the house, sometimes out and about, both with and without my wife. She ‘tolerates’ it, but we mostly don’t talk about it. So, is she ‘accepting’? I dunno. Maybe just used to seeing me skirted and kind of numb to it anymore.

This evening, she said something interesting. About 5 nights a week, my wife takes the dog to a park on the golf cart for a long walk. When I do go along,, I change out of my skirt/kilt and put on jeans or shorts. Well, tonight I had on a denim Utilikilt. She said ‘Come go with us”. I said, OK, I will go with you but I am not going to change my “skirt”. ( she refers to kilts and skirts as just skirts.). So, I go and open the garage door and back out the cart. About that time, a neighbor lady walks around to the garage door and asked my if my wife was home. I said yes just go back to the front door and knock again. Well, several minutes later they walked out together along with the dog as I sat on the golf cart waiting for them. We all talked about their day and neighborhood odds and ends. So, after 5-10 minutes of chat, the neighbor leaves and we go on our way to the park. As we started down the street, I said,’I didn’t expect to see her, especially in my skirt (kilt)’. Then my wife says, ‘Why are you embarrassed?’ I said, ‘ I’m NOT embarrassed, especially wearing this Utilikilt. I’m just glad I wasn’t in the split front denim mini’. We continued to the park walked the dog, talked to a few folks and that was that.

What got me, was the question and how she asked it. It wasn’t “Why? Are you embarrassed?” It was “ Why are you embarrassed”, with the inflection of don’t be embarrassed. Perhaps I am just surprised she would say it that way. Maybe a little more acceptance on the skirted in public topic. Hopefully.

RG.
Just a ......‘Regular Guy’ .......Kilted or Skirted
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Say WHAT??????????

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Regular Guy,
If my wife made that same statement it would have a wholly different connotation.
It would translate into, "I cannot see why you should not be embarrassed to be seen in public like that",
She has been in my skirted presence alongside a neighbour on several occasions and she simply does not approve of their casual acceptance.
Steve.
Stevej180

Post by Stevej180 »

Regular Guy wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:00 am What got me, was the question and how she asked it. It wasn’t “Why? Are you embarrassed?” It was “ Why are you embarrassed”, with the inflection of don’t be embarrassed. Perhaps I am just surprised she would say it that way. Maybe a little more acceptance on the skirted in public topic.
It could be a sign that she’s not embarrassed, which would be a huge thing (for me!).
Regular Guy

Post by Regular Guy »

STEVIE wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:04 am She has been in my skirted presence alongside a neighbour on several occasions and she simply does not approve of their casual acceptance.
Stevie
I fully understand what you are saying. We have been out and I have received positive comments before on my kilt, and wife just seems put off that someone else would ‘like’ it.

We have previously had the neighbor lady and her husband over for some drinks, and I was kilted. They never even mentioned the kilt, so it wasn’t like she hadn’t seen me in a kilt before.

Maybe the 2 gals have talked about me in kilts/skirts and the neighbor, who is VERY open minded, just told my wife to not sweat it when I wear a skirt.

Who knows. I am probably ‘over thinking’ her comment. But, I was and still am surprised and a little perplexed.
RG
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Regular Guy wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:33 pm Who knows. I am probably ‘over thinking’ her comment. But, I was and still am surprised and a little perplexed.
I reckon that I could think about some of my other half's comments forever and a day without coming to a satisfactory conclusion.
It is not for mere mortal man to plum the depths of the feminine psyche. Content yourself with confused, it may be safer.
Steve
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

This thread has reminded me of a long ago joke:

A guy found a glass bottle during his walk on the beach. He tried to polish the glass bottle but then
a Genie appeared. The Genie said thanks for releasing him from the bottle and for that he would
grant him a wish. The guy wished for a bridge from the west coast to Hawaii so he could drive there.
After hearing this wish, the Genie said to the guy: Don't you know how difficult that bridge would be?
How long it would take to build? Wish for something else. So the guy wished for the ability to
understand women's thoughts, what really was happening in their minds.

The Genie responded: Ummmm....How many lanes do you want on that bridge?

:hide:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Uncle Al wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:23 pmThe Genie responded: Ummmm....How many lanes do you want on that bridge?
The bridge would have been a mere problem of engineering. The other poser, however, departs from the realm of the hard-and-fast the guys tend to live in and gets deeply into the emotional world where truth, fiction, fantasy, and reality all blend together somewhat imperceptibly.

As a thought exercise, contemplate finding yourself in a world where all the logical facts you accept as axiomatic have no meaning; they are all subject to random interpretation based on whim and emotion. Contemplate a world where logic has no place and is not only not understood but actively misunderstood. In that world you begin to approach the supposedly "feminine" way of approaching things. Importantly, much looks vague familiar "right" is still "right" and "wrong" is still "wrong" but it's not possible to fathom the reasons for the differences because there are no reasons -- only feelings. In such a world it is not only possible for irrational things to happen, it's largely guaranteed.

Thus it is not just possible, but yea probable, for what we as men view as a pernicious double-standard -- based on our logical thinking -- can, and is, rejected by (most) women who are not using the same methodology to arrive at an answer. This is the hill we have to take -- and it's a damned big, slippery one and there are dragons atop it. (Note that the argument of , "Put yourself in my shoes." has no meaning in this alternate world.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Regular Guy

Post by Regular Guy »

crfriend wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:29 am
As a thought exercise, contemplate finding yourself in a world where all the logical facts you accept as axiomatic have no meaning; they are all subject to random interpretation based on whim and emotion. Contemplate a world where logic has no place and is not only not understood but actively misunderstood. In that world you begin to approach the supposedly "feminine" way of approaching things.
Carl, the spoken word of above musings would be best delivered by the late Rod Serling.
Regular Guy

Post by Regular Guy »

Here is a follow up to my original post.

Same senario, almost. I was wearing a Mountain Hardware kilt, time to take the puppy on the golf cart for a ride and walk. She says “ Ok it’s time to go.” I was like “OK, let me change my skirt (into shorts), and to my surprise, she says, “WHY? Just go like you are, come on we want to go now”..

So,there we went, me in a kilt at my wife’s “semi” insistence. Maybe, just maybe, some good progress is being made here. I actually, think if I had been in a real Skirt, it may have not been the same. But, to be honest, I will gladly take this.

Just thought I would share.
RG