Man wears skirt to work and ‘can finally be himself’

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Stevej180

Man wears skirt to work and ‘can finally be himself’

Post by Stevej180 »

All power to this chap, a really positive article.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/t ... y-23604258

I wish I was brave enough to do this, but I have an aversion to being the centre of attention and would really struggle with knowing I was being stared at all the time. Maybe one day I’ll summon the courage!
Uncle Al

Re: Man wears skirt to work and ‘can finally be himself’

Post by Uncle Al »

This has already been posted in the "News / Advocacy section.
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=22094

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Hello stevej180,

If that's what you want to do; then do it.

The first time I wore a skirted suit to work it was a complete and total non-event.

Now I wear skirts or dresses to work every day.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

At the end of the day, it's just clothes, nothing more, nothing less. Just because we choose to wear clothing from the women's side of the store, it really shouldn't be any big deal. Sometimes, we make more of this stuff than we actually should.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Stevej180

Post by Stevej180 »

JeffB1959 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:37 am At the end of the day, it's just clothes, nothing more, nothing less. Just because we choose to wear clothing from the women's side of the store, it really shouldn't be any big deal. Sometimes, we make more of this stuff than we actually should.
I’m going to respectfully disagree with you on this. :) I think that if that were true - ‘it’s just clothes’ - then the Skirt Cafe probably wouldn’t exist. I think one’s choice of clothes sends out powerful signals, and herein lies a problem for me (and perhaps others too?).

If I went out in a skirt, I would be sending a signal that I don’t wish to conform, that I don’t think or act like most men, that I’m different. And given my style choices, also that I have a strong feminine side that I identify with.

In one sense that would all be true, and I would love to be true and open. But I also recognise that those signals would probably be misinterpreted by some. And whilst I don’t generally care what others think, my fear is that I would be labelled as some sort of pervert, and that wouldn’t be nice for my family. If I was confident that the world would treat me as just unusual, eccentric even, then I would be happy.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

sj180, while what you say may be true about our signalling when wearing skirts it's also true about the colours we wear I also have to disagree to a certain extent. I wear bright colours such as red, purple, yellow for much the reason that I'm indicating that I am me and not a sheeple. I wear my non-conformity more as a badge of honour and with pride. As to how this, and my skirt wearing, is interpreted by others then really, why should I care? Some sort of pervert? For clothing? They don't know me, my sexual preferences and inner feelings and thoughts. Once they do, if ever they do then they will discern my reasons. To be treated as eccentric, not normal ( whatever normal is ) is something I am happy to project. I want to be unique, different and looking back on my early and school life I showed those characteristics even then. I have discussed my skirt wearing with others and, with just one or two exceptions, I have found that acceptance and uncaring is much more the norm. I think that you have fallen into the trap of trying to assume what others think ( assuming that they can, and do think ). Talk to others and you'll find acceptance, at least, much more common. Jeff is right - it's just clothes - accept me for what I am or go f*ck off.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

It is a fact that what anyone wears is no skin off of anyone else's nose.
However, it is also a fact that some folk are so highly prejudiced that they cannot just mind their own business.
Look at the damn title of the thread, especially "finally"! If it was "just clothes", why did he have to wait to finally be himself!
If it was just clothes, it would have never made the paper. We wouldn't have had a human interest story and Tesco a PR coup if it was just clothes.
But really it is just clothes and if other folk could just butt out, the mental health of the rest of us could be dramatically improved.
I think we all know of people who place quite severe judgements on us for our fashion choices, is it just clothes to them?
Steve.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by Stevej180 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:29 pm

All power to this chap, a really positive article.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/t ... y-23604258

I wish I was brave enough to do this, but I have an aversion to being the centre of attention and would really struggle with knowing I was being stared at all the time. Maybe one day I’ll summon the courage!
Stevej 180; To be very blunt, I think we are beating a dead horse--and that horse is as you noted, your own fear. I'm sure a bunch of folks are also judging you for a bundle of other things daily as well -- that you may not see quite as obviously as the occasional "look" you might get wandering down the the street in an eye-catching get-up. We see people everyday (well -- maybe not during Covid times!) in outfits that catch our attention and "make judgements". Some know us, most don't. We all carry on our lives with little more change that -- 'oh, that was a neat dress, cute girl, strange hat, crazy driving maneuver...or whatever, and life goes on. Truly, YOU are the one putting limits on your choices and life. We all do it in many different ways...but it comes down to your choosing to do what you want, not the other way around. Meantime, don't let it bum you out -- that doesn't help one's well-being either. Good luck, and may the day come soon! Cheers, or better...as we say here: Pura Vida