jury duty

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: jury duty

Post by denimini »

stephanie53 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:17 pm My apologies for the first paragragh. It belongs to Faldaguy. I don't know how to do the quote thing here
Fixed.
To quote: click on the lttle square with quotation marks on the right of the post you are quoting. Then continue your text in the text box above or below the quote.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

If you are going to get rejected when turning up for selection because of what you wear ( which presumably would be just a fairly ordinary skirt i.e. nothing salacious or unacceptable ) then would you really want to be selected?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

The last 3 times I was called for Jury Duty, I wore pants.
I didn't want to rock the boat in anyway, shape or form.
I only served once, the other times I was let go with the
rest of the citizens.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Two years ago I was summoned to jury duty; ultimately to serve on a jury hearing a case of child molestation. By that time I was wearing skirts and dresses everywhere, including work, so after a little internal turmoil, I decided to wear them for jury duty as well.

Before I was done, I wore a skirt or a dress every single day, was looked up to by my fellow jurors for my experience with jury duty and my other abilities.

I even became lasting friends with a fellow juror who is about my age and complimented the prosecutor -- a trim, good-looking woman who was always very nicely dressed -- on the suit she was wearing one day.

I didn't get any sense that anyone -- none of the attorneys, witnesses, defendant or fellow jurors -- had any problems with how I was dressed. Not even the deputies who were working the metal detectors at the door.

If you're comfortable and self-confident in the clothes you're wearing, you'll do just fine. I also feel that, especially in situations such as a court proceeding, it goes over better if you dress just a little nicer than the best-dressed of your fellow jurors.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:09 am If you're comfortable and self-confident in the clothes you're wearing, you'll do just fine. I also feel that, especially in situations such as a court proceeding, it goes over better if you dress just a little nicer than the best-dressed of your fellow jurors.
I agree with that, and it's kinda funny that I only have one nice "guys" outfit (a pair of dress pants and a button up shirt), I wear it on special occasions when I need to look traditional and nice, such as funerals, job related stuff (I wore it on my interview in 2018), etc...

Aside from that I actually have probably about six or seven skirted outfits that would be court acceptable (assuming I was a woman). Not everything I have is hippy boho... :wink:

As for whether I'd wear the skirts to jury duty, well... it's either that or I wear the same [mans] outfit every day until it's over! :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
stephanie53

Post by stephanie53 »

An update is called for, because it's been awhile. I chickened out and wore my man clothes. I probably could have worn a skirt, but thought not this time. We'll see how I feel when I'm called again in 18 months.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:24 pm Well, if Fred can pull that off in the deep south, then I think you'd be good in California or Europe.
In Europe (other than the UK)the judicial system works without jury,
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

We inherited our legal system from the Brits, who were here for far too long. For the last 100 years serious cases are tried here by jury. I haven't been around for all of that time and I've successfully dodged Jury duty both in the UK and here so far.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I was called once, was having trouble with my hearing, being on the cusp of needing aids but not yet having received them, and probably only heard about 50% of what was said. The trial was about something not overly serious but I can't remember what. After the trial and in the jury room we started going through what was said. I cut through the b*llsh*t by asking, "Do we all think that he's guilty?" "Yes." "But have the prosecution proved it?" "No." As I remember we discussed it for a while longer before trooping back to the court room. I was chosen by the others as foreman and I was panicking that if my reduced hearing would be discovered it might possibly mean a mistrial especially as the judge was softly spoken. Fortunately the judge asked the customary questions and I gave the "Not guilty" verdict, not having to elaborate at all and we were dismissed. As I'm virtually retired it's unlikely I will receive any more jury duty. This was all before my interest in skirts but if I was called up again I would go in a skirt in the hopes that I would be dismissed because of my attire.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:18 pmI cut through the b*llsh*t by asking, "Do we all think that he's guilty?" "Yes." "But have the prosecution proved it?" "No."
Sometimes it makes sense to cut right through the BS -- and if the prosecution hasn't proved the case, then the charged walks. That's the way the law works -- by design. Bravo.
I was called up again I would go in a skirt in the hopes that I would be dismissed because of my attire.
I got called most recently, perhaps sometime in 2016 or 2017, and seriously contemplated showing up in a skirt. Instead, I showed up in palazzo pants and met up with a guy I'd worked with for a decade at my prior place of employment. I got chucked off the jury in any event because of the debacle of 2015 and some parallels with the case under consideration. I was willing to try to be impartial, but the judge wisely opted to pitch me out "for cause" and that was that. I have no idea how the thing finally unfolded. I should ask him at some point, just out of curiosity.

Astonishingly, one of the questions that the judge asked me upon reading the record was, "How were you treated?". Being already sworn in, I told the truth: "Aside from a handful of individuals who deserve praise I was treated like a pile of low-grade dog-food." The judge actually apologised for the actions of The System to me. Not that it mattered terribly much as the damage had already been done years ago.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

With my long hair, chest mounds, and hips I could claim I was a trans-woman if someone caused me grief for wearing a dress or skirt to jury duty. I get out of jury duty as I am a caregiver to my disabled wife. I once went along with my wife (who was able bodied at the time) who was summoned for jury duty. I was standing close to a women's restroom while I was wearing ordinary men's clothes. Some lady asked me if I was waiting to use the women's restroom.

John