jury duty

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
stephanie53

jury duty

Post by stephanie53 »

Yesterday I received the dreaded jury summons. I'm to report in 2 weeks. There are many options to be excused, none of which I qualify for. I thought to myself, this would be an adventure if I was to go skirted. I've gone through the process before, but wasn't picked. First day you sign in and wait in a big room with many others, to be called. If your called, you go the the courtroom, and then you fill out a questionnaire, and vetted by the attorneys. again you can be dismissed at this point.

If your chosen, You maybe on a case that last's a couple weeks.

I've never been out very much skirted. Only a couple places. Here I'd be interacting with many people, for what might be a couple weeks. I'm very nervous about doing something like this, as this would be a huge leap forward for me, and I have no idea how others would judge me.

Suggestions?

Steph
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: jury duty

Post by moonshadow »

Well... if you want out of it... by all means, wear a skirt. What are they gonna do... fire you?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Epiceneguy
Distinguished Member

Post by Epiceneguy »

Can't really give you much advice as I don't really go out in public wearing skirts but I do love the fact that you used the phrase 'others would judge me' in this context 😉
When life gives you lemons, slice them and put them into your G&T!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Stephanie53
I have been summoned for jury duty in the UK.
That was about 5 years ago and I was wearing skirts at work daily.
However, I decided not to on that occasion.
My main reason was that I had no wish to have attention being focused on me in such a situation. That rightly belongs to the main participants, the jury members are merely extras.
I wasn't chosen but I would take the same decision if I was called again in the future.
Apart from being a guy in a skirt I would not dress or behave flamboyantly in a variety of situations where I thought that it would just be inappropriate.
That is just my personal opinion and I am sure that a few of the other members would choose to differ.
Steve,
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

If selected for trial - I wonder if the Judge might think oddly about a skirt or a kilt - - -
AND maybe being a stickler for court decorum find you in contempt or perhaps
setting the stage for the defense or prosecution exclusion of service ?

Yes way too much TV (television) drama here !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

r.m.anderson wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:15 pm AND maybe being a stickler for court decorum find you in contempt or perhaps
How could they? As long as it's court appropriate for a woman... equal protection and all...

Just say it's your religious right.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I received a summons for jury duty about a year ago and since I am in my upper 70s I could have declined but did not. I went in a nice knee length dark blue skirt and a lighter shade of blue deep V neck shirt. I was told that shorts were not allowed in the court room, when I said I was not wearing shorts the bailiff looked again and seated me in the court room. I was called for 2 different trials and released from both. There were no problems raised by the judge or the prosecutors and lawyers about my skirts, they did not like me because I expressed an opinion on the guilt of the parties involved.

So wear what you like and are comfortable wearing....
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:06 pm I was told that shorts were not allowed in the court room, when I said I was not wearing shorts the bailiff looked again and seated me in the court room.
LOL! Yeah, I bet if I went in my usual sort of outfit it's at least 50/50 I'd get the same response.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well, if Fred can pull that off in the deep south, then I think you'd be good in California or Europe.
-Andrea
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:39 pm Well... if you want out of it... by all means, wear a skirt. What are they gonna do... fire you?
I agree that it would probably be a way out .............. unless wearing a skirt could be considered an indication that you are open-minded.

I will never have the opportunity to go in a mini skirt because I will never been called because of where I live - too far to travel.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Interesting question. Until I joined this group I went most places skirted but did not travel to the US with their TSA and heavy handed security folk as that seemed a bit like begging for a hassle. But folks here told me they had been traveling skirted, including TSA and the like, so I gave it a try.
I was a bit wary at first, but all went well and several trips since, before Covid kept us close to home, I wore my usual daily wear skirts through US immigration, customs, TSA, etc .with the same response I get everywhere else -- maybe an occasional glance, but nary a word or problem.

I suspect the courtroom would be the same; however, I did wear pants one morning in front of a courthouse here -- not out of concern for myself, but for the woman and child we were there to support. It was a protest to the Court's inaction on an asylum case for a Mother and her child seeking relief from a pedophile father who had the bucks to control the process in NY. The child was having to report what had happened to him from this man, which was pretty graphic. I was fearful my being a guy in a skirt might give the Father's attorney's material to discredit the Mother's friends and influence on the child -- so I dug to the dead end of the closet and founds some pants. Given you do not know the circumstances of any trial you might be selected to jury, this may not be a factor -- but perhaps a consideration? I can find reasons, for and against -- though I'd probably land on the side of wear your wearing a skirt and educating a few more folks in the process!

The real question is probably more to your own ability to 'own' your skirt a be comfortable. There is certainly no reason not to -- but it does take a while in public settings to gain your own equilibrium with a skirt.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

We don't need to prove anything so we can feel at ease to wear pants when we think fit or as above; for a strategic purpose.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
stephanie53

Post by stephanie53 »

Faldaguy wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:29 am The real question is probably more to your own ability to 'own' your skirt a be comfortable. There is certainly no reason not to -- but it does take a while in public settings to gain your own equilibrium with a skirt.
I have been wearing my kilt everywhere and admittedly in the beginning was nervous, i've had nothing but positive comments from every one, even the doctor I went to see a couple weeks ago.

Thinking about doing a dry run today or Monday in my denim skirt(18"), which falls about 3" above my knee, and a nice top to see how everyone would respond
Last edited by denimini on Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fix quote formatting
stephanie53

Post by stephanie53 »

My apologies for the first paragragh. It belongs to Faldaguy. I don't know how to do the quote thing here
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

stephanie53 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:17 pm My apologies for the first paragragh. It belongs to Faldaguy. I don't know how to do the quote thing here
stephanie53

To do the quotes look in the upper right corner of the post you want to quote - for the quote marks (")
Click on the quotes and the post will be taken to Post a Reply where you can further copy cut highlight (bold underline italic).
You can do multiple quotes by clicking on each selected post and then do further editing arranging in your reply/post.

Experiment around - play with this - - -

You can also copy and paste but the authorship is lost unless you include that in the copy function.

Some things here are not easy and explained - not all forums are the same - - -

Posting pictures and images now that is real bug-a-boo - experiment you can't do any harm unless you SUBMIT
Use the Save draft function in writing a long story that you don't want to lose - - -
Use the Preview function before Submitting to correct any errors misinformation or change the order.

Still yet you goof up after Submitting you can go back and EDIT your post LOOK for the pencil image next to the
Explanation and Quote marks in that right corner - click on it and change alter adjust your post - you can go so
far as to the Delete the whole thing LOOK for the (X) next to the edit explanation quotes in right corner.

Hope this helps !

Need to do more tinkering - contact crfriend to see what more magic can be done !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !