Sexual Fetish or Gender Expression?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sexual Fetish or Gender Expression?

Post by Sinned »

I was reading an article on the current trend to gender fluidity in fashion. The url is as follows: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/sty ... li=BBoPOOm.

I liked the last two paragraphs which show that there is perhaps a slow change happening. "All this marks an exciting step for the British fashion industry, one that forces the consumer to ask some key questions, like what makes an item suited to a particular gender in the first place? Why should a specific type of garment be marketed towards women, and not men, or non-binary people? And, crucially, is the world ready to embrace gender fluidity on a larger sartorial scale?

One would hope so, though recent commentary – think conservative commentator Candace Owens calling to “bring back manly men” after seeing Styles in that dress – may suggest we still have a bit of a way to go. Still, this season at LFW shows that progress is afoot, and the industry is making waves to be more inclusive in a way that arguably offers designers more room for innovation and creativity. Isn’t that what fashion is supposed to be about in the first place?"
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Sinned wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:21 pm
Still, this season at LFW shows that progress is afoot, and the industry is making waves to be more inclusive in a way that arguably offers designers more room for innovation and creativity. Isn’t that what fashion is supposed to be about in the first place?"
Dennis, exactly and very true, even in the most absurd catwalk creations.
Love or loathe, nothing matters except the potential for change and wider choice across the whole clothing scene.
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The important aspect to me is that maybe fashion designers may at last be waking up to a potentially huge market that is ripe for opening up with just the right encouragement and marketing. I do believe that if men's skirts were marketed consistently and seriously using celebrity endorsement and clever advertising, as much as they do conventionally, then we will see more men in skirts. I hope that is being recognised, instead of treating not just as a niche or novelty product. The day I see skirts marketed at men in our local ASDA is the day my wife will walk out with me wearing a skirt.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Sinned wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:24 pm
I do believe that if men's skirts were marketed consistently and seriously using celebrity endorsement and clever advertising, as much as they do conventionally, then we will see more men in skirts. I hope that is being recognised, instead of treating not just as a niche or novelty product. The day I see skirts marketed at men in our local ASDA is the day my wife will walk out with me wearing a skirt.
I agree. The starting point in my opinion is not something complicated or fancy - and it should not involve making some massive effort to differentiate it as an exclusively male garment. Some simple designs like straight or A-line denim, or a basic fabric like the types used for tailoring, would be perfectly fine. One alternative would be for them to make and market such garments unisex, styled and sized for that, and modelled by both sexes.

Will that happen any time soon? I doubt it, to be honest. We have made some progress over the past 20-years and there have been flashes of hope, yet the taboo persists. Men wear trousers, not skirts - that's the norm and we shouldn't imagine that's about to change or we will be disappointed.
Stevej180

Post by Stevej180 »

Stu wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:56 pm

Will that happen any time soon? I doubt it, to be honest. We have made some progress over the past 20-years and there have been flashes of hope, yet the taboo persists. Men wear trousers, not skirts - that's the norm and we shouldn't imagine that's about to change or we will be disappointed.
Sigh. Yes, I sometimes feel that I was born 50 years too early...