bike riding

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: bike riding

Post by r.m.anderson »

If you are riding a bike for exercise - wear the bare minimum albeit a skirt if that suits the minimum requirement.

Now as for riding as a method of transportation to a function errand or other purpose - consider wearing something suitable upon arrival to meet the occasion !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

rma, a politician's statement - what you have said in the first sentence says nothing. It doesn't declare whether you are pro or anti commando skirting on a bike. Even yhe second sentence is a bit lame. I'd be anti because of the damage to our reputation so attired irrespective of any other reasons.
Last edited by Sinned on Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
eightofnine

Post by eightofnine »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:17 pm
eightofnine wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:47 pm . I wanted to go out skirted without being spotted by the local neighbours,i don't mind them seing me but my parents think that someone is going to get violent with me or break our windows.
Doubtful you'll have any trouble with the neighbors. Most bullies like the cover of anonymity, well, while your neighbors obviously know where you live.. logic dictates you also know where they live.

If in doubt... install cameras, and if something happens, prosecute the hell out of them!
you're right, i think she just using any excuse to try persuade me not to wear a skirt.My neighbours have seen me enough , when my parents used to go out id go for a walk skirted .There was a lady at the bottom of the street who would stand outside of her house and watch me go passed .
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

eightofnine wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:54 pm you're right, i think she just using any excuse to try persuade me not to wear a skirt.My neighbours have seen me enough , when my parents used to go out id go for a walk skirted .There was a lady at the bottom of the street who would stand outside of her house and watch me go passed .
Yeah, my mom was like that too, I think she's gotten a bit better lately, but I really haven't tested her thoroughly yet.

I have a few neighbors I suspect probably don't approve, but they leave me alone anyway. The one across the street doesn't seem to mind at all. The rest are friendly enough. I don't know that I'd consider them "friends" but they leave me alone, throw up a friendly hand when they see me out... and basically mind their own business...

.. that's really all we can ask.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
derail3

Post by derail3 »

If you have a medium or short skirt try This method

https://youtu.be/mwlyWt7H7IA
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

derail3 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:57 pm If you have a medium or short skirt try This method

That is a very nice trick, I'll have to remember that one!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

With legs moving in opposite directions and large angles between them at regular intervals, the wearing of very short skirts commando (or otherwise) is folly indeed.
Moonshine's preference for longer flared skirts and retrofit spoke guard is the way to go. No debate. The fuller cut affords material which will more than adequately fill the between-legs space at all times and confer freedom of movement which is required.

Anything short and/or tight is inherently unsatisfactory for cycling. A low unisex bar would make mounting and alighting easier, too.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

derail3 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:57 pm If you have a medium or short skirt try This method

Very nice trick, if you are agile enough. I enjoyed watching it, at least!

My bike is a folding bike so it is easily a step-through bike too, which is great with skirts. It's also great for doing an elegant rolling dismount.
Daryl...
andrewsh

Post by andrewsh »

I cycle in exactly the same clothes as I do all other everyday activities in, which these days is mostly a skirt. Depending the weather it’s either a knee-length (or slightly over the knee), or — if it’s cold — a longer one (a few times almost a maxi one).
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

My dad (a lifelong cyclist, who never learned to drive a car) always mounted his bike as per point 1 in the video, but then cocked his leg over the rear of the seat.

Like others on here, I would only ride a bike wearing cycle shorts. Although I've got out of the habit of cycling over the last 18 months or so (for a variety of reasons, one of which being a big repair bill that I refused to pay because I should be able to do the work myself - I just never got round to it), I used to cycle a fair bit. At one stage I was commuting to work (33 miles / day), but this just got a bit too much for me. Almost 3 hours a day in the saddle just got a bit boring.

Anyhow, on one commute trip I saw a guy who was wearing a red and white polka-dot circle mini skirt over his cycle shorts. Though the colour scheme didn't work for me, I think there is something to be said for having such a garment to protect ones modesty. As a MAMIL, my wife describes my appearance from the front when bedecked in cycling shorts as "borderline indecent" :-)

I quite like this look. I think the photo was taken at a charity event and in other photos from the event it is clear that the riders are wearing cycle shorts under their tartan.

r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Looks like the difference of +/- 6 inches of hem (purple tartan kilt and red/white polka dot mini).
One thing in either event the hem is not long enough to engage with the chain drive mechanism or
the rubber tire.
The color of padded undergear can betray the male endowment features - generally not a
problem for the universal color of black - regardless something as short as the red/white polka dot
mini does not cover much if anything at all - may as well be wearing a tutu and/or be part of a
circus high wire act. Certainly an attention getting piece of clothing upstaging that purple tartan kilt !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

All a hell of a lot better than the sight of a guy in lycra bike shorts.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
stephanie53

Post by stephanie53 »

Getting on the bike in the video is great, bit how does one get off?

I'm not to crazy about wearing Lyra shorts under my skirt
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

This video covers most points, and shows how to ride a bike with a saddle at the correct height for efficient pedalling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0CJk5UpY4w

2 points. if you are riding with the saddle too low, you waste pedalling effort, and will find it difficult to maintain proper pedalling cadence (rpm of the crank) You will also end up with your knees rising quite high, which is another way of showing more than you ought too.

The only difference from this video that I use is that I lean the bike frame even further and bend the knee more when clearing the saddle. This means I don't cock the leg so much, so the skirt doesn't get lifted at all, and is easier on the hips, though it does require more bend in the knee. It can also allow tighter skirts. It might take a few attempts to learn exactly where to place yourself in relation to the bike at first. Too close and you get can't the frame low enough, too far and you can't reach the other side of the bike.

I have trained and worked as a bicycle fitter, and in my experience, most casual riders set their saddle too low, to avoid the problems in mounting the bike and make starting and stopping easier. They also pedal too slow (the cadence, not necessarily road speed) It is well worth learning how to do it properly. You go further for less effort, and have a more comfortable ride.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I prefer a Rickshaw...
rickshaw.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.