bike riding

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
stephanie53

Re: bike riding

Post by stephanie53 »

I want to thank everyone for your suggestions and encouragement. The past couple days have been wonderful as the weather has been warm and sunny. Wearing a shorter skirt(14") has made it much easier for me to get on the bike, by being able to spread my legs wider and not have to tip the bike over so far. Not been as many people out walking. This weekend will be warm so many people will be out, so I will be able to show off my long legs and work on my tan.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

When wearing a short skirt - remember to wear some degree of modesty gear - preferably the padded type for comfort.
Sitting on a spike (seat) is not comfort - spreading that seat out and padding it is best - either the seat or the gear or both.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
stephanie53

Post by stephanie53 »

seeing it's been a wonderful last couple day's. Enjoying the outdoors was called for. And seeing my kilt arrived from
http://scottishkiltshop.com, This seemed like a wonderful way to enjoy the outdoors. I have been wearing and enjoying it more, but haven't yet got the courage to wear it in to a store yet, but I ll keep trying.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Go for it. You'll be hard pressed to get anybody to even notice that, looks like any bloke to me! :)
KenCT

Post by KenCT »

Good advice from partlyscot. My bike seat is set at a height so that at bottom-dead-center of a pedal, my knee is only slightly flexed, and at top-dead-center, the thigh is still angled downward, and the skirt's hem remains low enough to assure coverage. I have ridden in short (40 cm/16 in), straight, stretch miniskirts -- they don't catch the wind, and don't ride up excessively. I've had no startled reactions from passers-by, rather, I have had friendly greetings. In any case, I always wear appropriate underclothing.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Ah, the classic "omafiets", so called because it's what grandma used to cycle on. Except this one is an e-bike and missing the skirt guard so it's not suitable for long skirts. This bike also doesn't require lifting the leg up very high to get on which is helpful for skirts. This is basically standard for e-bikes, since it turns out the 80yo men also have trouble lifting their legs up over a crossbar.

With respect to the initial problem, don't worry about. Yes, every now and then you see a student cycle past in a mini-skirt with brightly coloured panties. It's just a wardrobe malfunction, no-one cares. They probably just didn't get enough coffee that morning (or they're on the way to the beach and put their swimwear on beforehand).

It's just like wearing skirts in general. Look like you're owning it and people won't care. And if they do, you have quite a head start being on a bike :)
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by Gusto10 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:26 pm

Such a bike may be the solution:
https://www.fietsenwinkel.nl/popal-dail ... 2021-dames
Indeed, though you are paying a premium for the 'classic style' when the world of e-bikes has so greatly broadened (no pun intended) that there are many many options that will perform wonderfully skirted or not. Here is a link to one -- but not so much to recommend a particular bike but note that the source Electrek reviews e-bikes daily and has hundreds on its site.

https://electrek.co/2021/04/09/new-scor ... and-range/
stephanie53

Post by stephanie53 »

It's just like wearing skirts in general. Look like you're owning it and people won't care. And if they do, you have quite a head start being on a bike :)
Thank all for the compliments. It's been such a joy to ride these past days, as it's been sunny and warm out. And looking down and seeing the shadow of the hem flapping in the breeze as I zoom along :D

I went into to food store( very nervously) for the first time, and was surprised at the compliments I got. Definitely turn my nervousness away. Getting more brave to venture out more.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

I've started biking with my wife daily and going longer distances. When we were just walking, a kilt was perfectly fine and accepted as pretty normal. Now our cycles are in the 3 wheel recumbent style and my legs are more or less parallel to the ground and my upper body is leaned back a bit. I kind of miss my kilted outings! I may just wear the usual tight shorts and keep a Sport Kilt or something in the cargo for wrapping up when we stop anywhere. I've seen cycling skirts/skorts online but they seem designed with a more vertical posture in mind.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

My wife and I rode recumbents for some while, though she reverted to a traditional bike as she has found balance a challenge; whereas I added biking to work more when I had the recumbents though I confess I usually had biking shorts or just a short skirt that would not be risk of engagement with the chain, and carried a set of 'office' clothes with me as weather, puddles, and just plain sweat often called for something fresh on arrival. With regard to position, I always felt the low profile pretty much eliminated any need to fret about causing any visual scandals.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Faldaguy wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:15 am I usually had biking shorts or just a short skirt that would not be risk of engagement with the chain...
Thanks for the advice, I'm going to figure this out, I reckon. I did get a cycling skirt but haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet. I should examine the viewing angle from someone who's at a normal walking/biking height and maybe I don't need to worry so much.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

So we did a bit of a 10km test ride, her in a skort and me in a skirt with bike shorts underneath. Sure enough, the skirt was up around my hips before too long. It's probably ok because bike shorts are meant to be seen but it does feel strange. I'll probably just stick to the bike shorts of some sort and a wrap skirt/kilt to put on when I'm not on the bike.
Modoc
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Modoc »

I have never tried bike riding in a skirt either pedal or motorized. I have ridden one of those rented power scooters while wearing a calf-length denim swing skirt and found it to be a lot of fun, though somewhat expensive. When the weather warms a little more, I may try to figure out the logistics of riding skirted. I probably won't be able to wear one of my favorite big, flowy skirts. Darn.
“And the time came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
― Anaïs Nin
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

FLbreezy wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:55 pm So we did a bit of a 10km test ride, her in a skort and me in a skirt with bike shorts underneath. Sure enough, the skirt was up around my hips before too long. It's probably ok because bike shorts are meant to be seen but it does feel strange. I'll probably just stick to the bike shorts of some sort and a wrap skirt/kilt to put on when I'm not on the bike.
Ha, riding with a skirt is a skill to be practiced. Being in the Netherlands I see plenty of daily examples how it's done. Usually one of: longer skirt (well below the knee), fairly tight with stretchy material so it can't go anywhere, or heavy enough material that it doesn't move. If it's a wide enough skirt you can simply scrunch it up and sit on it.

It's very fun though.