bike riding

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
stephanie53

bike riding

Post by stephanie53 »

What better way to get some sun and exercise, and doing it in a skirt!

Today was no exception. partly sunny, little wind, and 65F. So on with the 16" denim skirt and t shirt for my 5 mile ride. I've done it before dressed with like this, with no problems, other than maybe the occasional flash. Getting on and off a full size bike, in a skirt is harder than you might think, ladylike wise. No sooner than trying this maneuver today, lean the bike over to swing the legg over, and hop on right? WRONG I didn't even manage to get on the bike, before I went splat over the handle bars onto the concrete driveway. After a few choice words, and a bleeding knee, and a bent fender,I'm back up and hop on, and on our way. skinned leggs and bleeding knee.

The skirt does tend to ride up, so I'm constantly pulling it down. A gentle wave and hello to the people on the bike path is all the reaction I usually get.

When I got home. bandages were allied. Tomorrow is another day, and hoping the weather is as good, so I can do it again, not the falling down part, I hope!

Steph
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: bike riding

Post by Ray »

I cycle only in Lycra cycling shorts or cycling tights. Wearing a skirt would give too much chafing and exposure. Each to their own though.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

stephanie53 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:00 pm What better way to get some sun and exercise, and doing it in a skirt!

Today was no exception. partly sunny, little wind, and 65F. So on with the 16" denim skirt and t shirt for my 5 mile ride. I've done it before dressed like this, with no problems, other than maybe the occasional flash. Getting on and off a full size bike, in a skirt is harder than you might think, ladylike wise. No sooner than trying this maneuver today, lean the bike over to swing the leg over, and hop on right? WRONG I didn't even manage to get on the bike, before I went splat over the handlebars onto the concrete driveway. After a few choice words, and a bleeding knee, and a bent fender, I'm back up and hop on, and on our way. Skinned legs and bleeding knee.

The skirt does tend to ride up, so I'm constantly pulling it down. A gentle wave and hello to the people on the bike path is all the reaction I usually get.

When I got home, bandages were applied. Tomorrow is another day, and hoping the weather is as good, so I can do it again, not the falling down part, I hope!

Steph
A bike with a mixte frame, with a lower step over height, might be of help?
https://momentummag.com/mixte-vintage-f ... ity-bikes/
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I ride a bike a bit taller than is officially recommended for my height. This does make mounting in some skirts harder. I make sure I'm not flashing anyone when I lift my leg and I tilt the bike until I'm straddling the bar.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I ride a female bike complete with stock fenders and an aftermarket skirt guard on the rear wheel.

I usually ride with a knee length or midi skirt. I tried a few longer ones but they get a little too close to the chain for comfort.

On the shorter skirts I try to use the fuller skirts so that there is enough hem to tuck it under my leg, thus preventing flashes.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I ride a bike wearing a 14" mini. The short skirt does not ride up (it is already up) and there is not enough loose material to catch the wind. I don't think anyone can see much apart from the nose of the seat and if they get confused about what that might be then that is their folly. I make sure that no-one is behind me when mounting the bike by the usual method. I have encountered people walking along the road, including policemen's wives, and as far as I know I have not been reported for Indecent Exposure.
mini_bike_PC283104skirt.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

This my bike, and it is quite suitable for this kind of weather ( below freezing and snow)
I'm riding this bike in a denim skirt (somewhat above knee) but almost no blowing up the skirt. I said almost, so occasionally it happens, and I think then, who cares, it is just underwear they see.

The road sign you see in the background, I bought it online. I'm not the kind of person who steals road signs. This one you see a lot in Norway and Finland. Sweden has almost the same sign but the white center is yellow
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I've ridden a bike while skirted and it's not a problem. Usually in a mini or a skater skirt so that the hem droops between the legs. I'd not consider a tight skirt. Very refreshing ride.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
stephanie53

Post by stephanie53 »

I want to thank all for your responses. My 16" skirt is straight not flaired. Thinking a flaired one and a 14" might work better giving me more room to move my leg. I've not experienced any charging. I also do this commando.
eightofnine

Post by eightofnine »

I love cycling but rather wear Lycra than a skirt, I have worn a skirt a few times though.The first attempt was a disaster i ended up ripping my favorite skirt .The Next was a better maybe better choice is skirt. I wanted to go out skirted without being spotted by the local neighbours,i don't mind them seing me but my parents think that someone is going to get violent with me or break our windows.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

stephanie53 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:57 pm I've not experienced any charging. I also do this commando.
Not to put you on the spot, but you may be asking for trouble with that. The right viewing angle (say from children) or more flowy skirts do sometimes ride up. You could be setting yourself up for a run in with the law, and possibly getting your name on the dreaded sex offender registry.

I notice you're in the U.S., be aware there are hundreds of thousands of people, not to mention a fair number of lawmakers looking to make an example and scapegoat anyone not following the herd.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

eightofnine wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:47 pm . I wanted to go out skirted without being spotted by the local neighbours,i don't mind them seing me but my parents think that someone is going to get violent with me or break our windows.
Doubtful you'll have any trouble with the neighbors. Most bullies like the cover of anonymity, well, while your neighbors obviously know where you live.. logic dictates you also know where they live.

If in doubt... install cameras, and if something happens, prosecute the hell out of them!
-Andrea
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

One way to avoid flashing when mounting is to lower the bike far enough that you can clear the bar/seat by bending the knee only. It requires you to be careful about how far you stand from the bike when you lower it. This is also helpful for those of us who are stiff in the hips.
stephanie53

Post by stephanie53 »

Another beautiful day for a ride, but no skirt. Jeans and a long sleeve shirt to cover up the cuts, bruises, and bandages. Also to look for a better bike with a lower middle brace
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I agree with Moon that cycling while wearing a skirt sans underwear is a definite no. A sure way to confirm in the minds of the unconverted ( which, let's face it, is just about everybody but small groups like ours ) that men wearing skirts are exhibitionists, paedophiles, perverts and general sex maniacs. It will do nothing to advance the image of normality that we are trying to create. For what? The cheap thrill of running the risk of exposing one's genitals? No, no, thrice no.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.