Another clothing site hints towards skirts for men.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
victor1964
Member Extraordinaire

Another clothing site hints towards skirts for men.

Post by victor1964 »

Came across this comment while surfing the net.

From a clothing website emp.co.uk on their skirts page. Looks like things are slowly changing for us :D

EMP.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Another clothing site hints towards skirts for men.

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Victor
Just had a look as I had never heard of this site.
Some interesting skirts, I must say.
The good point is that they are just saying that skirts aren't just for women.
That makes a refreshing change from calling it a "manskirt" and adding a premium with the label.
This is one that I will definitely keep in mind, thanks.
Steve.
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bikerkilt »

If the media is going call it a skirt should we just call it a skirt and not try to own it by any other name
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Bikerkilt wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:02 pmIf the media is going call it a skirt should we just call it a skirt and not try to own it by any other name
This author's opinion is that we should own the matter indeed own the matter under the guise of "skirt" and be done with. It is what it is, no matter what we might call it, It is, ultimately, a skirt.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Very true about a skirt being a skirt and that we should embrace it for what it is.
The concept of a "manskirt" is just a blatant exploitation of the insecurities that a lot of men have around alternative clothing choices being perceived as less than masculine. I would place the use of the word "kilt" used as a descriptor in the same category.
What is more, as a commercial ploy, it has worked to some degree. The success of the utility/tactical kilt has is surely a good indicator. The very fact that a segment of men in skirts will pay a hefty premium just for the manskirt on the label similarly attests.
When men can comfortably drop the man in manskirt, perhaps we will really move fashion freedom forward.
Just don't hold your breath.
Steve.
BobM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by BobM »

Well said, Stevie.
Ordained Deacon and Ruling Elder, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

I've noted here before my experience when at Legacy hospital in Portland last year when a nurse asked if what I was wearing was a kilt. It took her a moment to recover when I told her "no, it's just a skirt". :)

She did explain that she had to ask that way, because other men had gotten offended when she said something about their skirt -- the men apparently insisting they were wearing kilts. :? :?:
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Yep, I remember it. Probably those men are not confident with the idea of wearing a skirt which is seen as feminine garment while at the opposite a kilt is often seen as purely masculine.
I know that if someone asked me what I am wearing when I wear a skirt, I would answer "a skirt". No point to call it with any other name (remember: people can see the skirt you wear, unless you have another bigger garment to hide it :D)
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Interesting web site, there are a few skirts I kind of like, most of the items are No my style on either side of the aisle. Im not quite into that look.

I could not find that particular page where your screen shot came from. I was rather hoping to see it for myself.
I figure I'm Not looking in the right spot apparently.
I'm hoping you will share the exact URL.
MIS need to comment a word of thanks to sites that publish statements like that.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
victor1964
Member Extraordinaire

Post by victor1964 »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:11 am Interesting web site, there are a few skirts I kind of like, most of the items are No my style on either side of the aisle. Im not quite into that look.

I could not find that particular page where your screen shot came from. I was rather hoping to see it for myself.
MIS need to comment a word of thanks to sites that publish statements like that.
Just looked on the website and i can't find the page I took the screenshot from, it looks like they have updated their website (which they do often) and the info page about skirts is not there. I will post the link if I find it again :D
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

victor1964 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:29 pm
mishawakaskirt wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:11 am Interesting web site, there are a few skirts I kind of like, most of the items are No my style on either side of the aisle. Im not quite into that look.

Just looked on the website and i can't find the page I took the screenshot from, it looks like they have updated their website (which they do often) and the info page about skirts is not there. I will post the link if I find it again :D
You should contact them, send them the screen shot and ask them what happened? Or and tell them you support the MIS look, and that skirts should be unisex.
They more than likely had someone complain anti MIS.
So we need to say something PRO MIS
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I suspect that the Trump Pandemic has only broadened the schism between America and the UK/EU even broader. I can only hope that when/if vaccines make it possible to reconnect, we can all agree that men deserve the same fashion rights as females.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I don't need the end of the effects of the pandemic to agree with that dillon. I want equality with wumen. EQUALITY, EQUALITY, EQUALITY.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
victor1964
Member Extraordinaire

Post by victor1964 »

The original text is back on their website again.

To view the page: go to emp.co.uk, enter "skirt" into their search box. When the skirts have loaded, scroll to the bottom of the page. :D :D :D

The websites full text comments on skirts, not a bad sales talk :wink:

Short, medium or long: You can find chic skirts in the most versatile cuts. From the mini skirt to the stylish petticoat to the elegant tiered skirt, you will discover the right skirt for every mood. What about that first date with the sweet guy from last week's concert or a relaxed evening with your friends?

With the right skirt, you express your current mood and your unmistakable personality is revealed at the same time. At EMP you will find skirts to fit your unmatched style, so that you are yourself in every situation.

A quick look at the history of rock

The tight-cut pencil skirt from the 1940s, the pleated skirt from the time of rock 'n' roll and the rebellious mini skirt from the 1960s: With a skirt you jump through the decades and you can use this freedom to find skirts that suit you and your own unique style. From the mini skirt with rivets to the dreamy petticoat with a dot pattern to the romantic long skirt, you will find the right model for every taste. You already know that, depending on the material and cut, a skirt can either look good and innocent, sexy or serious. But a skirt can also do much more.

Skirts: the quick-change artist

Because the skirt only reaches your waist, you can combine it with a wide variety of tops - enough for the sweaty concert of your favourite band. A hooded sweater or your worn out leather jacket is better if you’re on the go. So you can easily adapt your outfit to the occasion and the situation. The skirt, it turns out, is very versatile. With a lace hem and a soft silhouette, a skirt looks dreamy and romantic. If you like it more chic, you will find simpler models with a strict silhouette.

Two-layer models are particularly refined, their overskirt made of translucent lace. All goths and rockers will find their preferred models. Punk skirts have rivets, chains and sometimes small pockets with zippers. Punkers as well as steampunkers will be happy with a rock look of this kind. On the other hand, if rockabilly is your thing, petticoats will immediately catch your eye. With these clothes, you will live the proper 1950’s style but in the here and now. Even when it comes to patterns, our range offers you a lot of choices.

In addition to woven patterns such as tartan, various models have full-surface prints. These often depict skulls or flowers. If the beautiful poison ivy from the Batman films is one of your heroines, you can also find a suitable skirt with EMP. You can easily transform yourself into other strong heroines from DC Comics as well. Little and big witches alike discover skirts from the Hogwarts school uniform. Series and film fans will also get their money's worth. Short skirts can be used to draw attention to your shoes opening up more options for your outfit. With your beloved chucks or biker boots, a fine skirt looks completely different. Just try it out and you will quickly love your skirt for its versatility.

A garment not just for women

Only women wear skirts - the Scots see it differently. For them, the kilt is part of the traditional costume for men and the respective plaid in the material should express the clan of the wearer. Attention all male Vikings, medieval fans, metalheads and members of other clans out there: There are also suitable skirts for you so that you can rock forever too.