Maker Kilt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Maker Kilt

Post by Coder »

Another option out there:

https://www.tovedesign.com/shop/maker-kilt-pre-order

I have the short maker skirt in raw, prefer the a-line shape over the straight style, but at least there’s another company making a skirt (erm “kilt”) for men.

As for “build quality” I’m very happy with the quality of my skirt, though it’s one of the more expensive skirts I’ve bought (even with the 20% off). The pockets and belt loop came in handy on an installation job of mine, and they will also come in handy in the workshop once spring comes.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Maker Kilt

Post by partlyscot »

Slightly odd design, the wrap is at the back?

Not a bad look, but $95? I don't think so.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

partlyscot wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:33 pm Slightly odd design, the wrap is at the back?

Not a bad look, but $95? I don't think so.
Wrap is in the back. It's sort of a hybrid wrap kilt (erm skirt)/apron, but can be worn both ways. And yeah, $95 is a lot - $76 with 20% off (site seems to run 20% off all the time), still a lot. If you look over the other products on the site or their Instagram feed, you can get a gist of what style/utility they are going for.

Having looked at both cheap and expensive shop aprons (ended up settling on a Carhartt on sale a while back) over the past few years, their price is in-line with some of the more hipster working people's brands - ie, see the prices on this page: https://www.handeyesupply.com/collectio ... act-bag-co. I don't like the cost, but the short skirt version was much closer to what I've been looking for than any of the other aprons I've seen (especially since those were just aprons). And it's not a huge corporation from what I can tell, just someone with a design that she liked.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

I do kinda like it. Thanks for the link! Always good to see regular companies offering un-bifurcated options marketed towards men.

A bit steep on the price for sure, but actually cheaper than the female marketed options on the same site, which is surprising. I think people pay these kinds of prices for designer jeans. Plus it's way cheaper than a new Utilikilt, so while I don't want to pay that much, it's not as crazy a price as you make it sound.

Still, it's basically an apron. Nothing against aprons (I own several), but that's what I see.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Guys
Stylewise it is a skirt, there is no reason to call it any kind of kilt.
Pricewise, I'd bet a lot of the ladies just go for the male version with no qualms at all.
Interesting and maybe a step in the right direction too but it is still just another denim skirt.
Plenty more available just by glancing at the right side of the aisle.
Steve.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

:hmmm: With the "Flap in the back", I wouldn't want to bend over very far ;)
I don't want any "Southern Exposure" unless I'm at a 'special' beach :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Coder wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:41 am Another option out there:

https://www.tovedesign.com/shop/maker-kilt-pre-order

I have the short maker skirt in raw, prefer the a-line shape over the straight style, but at least there’s another company making a skirt (erm “kilt”) for men.

As for “build quality” I’m very happy with the quality of my skirt, though it’s one of the more expensive skirts I’ve bought (even with the 20% off). The pockets and belt loop came in handy on an installation job of mine, and they will also come in handy in the workshop once spring comes.
I think I'd prefer the skirt to the "kilt" because I use my waist not my hips for holding my garments up. I like the design, particularly the front pockets. Too bad it's so expensive.
Daryl...