Does wearing a mask make it easier?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Does wearing a mask make it easier?

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:58 pmA mask can afford some measure of anonymity [...]
As far as anonymity goes, there's no hope for this old boy. My sheer height, the length of my beard (which sticks out from under the mask), my waist-length ponytail, attire, and general demeanour all conspire against that. So, for me, it's a non-starter. Even if I was shorter and more conventional looking the moment I opened my mouth to speak I'd give myself away.

So I just embrace who and what I am and get on with life. After all, if you're not happy with who you are, then you're not happy at all.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

In my home town I would be recognised by my legs and mini skirt even if my head was completely covered. :)
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Amber said to me the other day when she talks to new hires at KFC where she works, she eventually tells them about "her skirt wearing dad..."

The response is normally along the lines of "oh yeah, I've seen that guy around..."

So... I am "that guy".

I guess there's one in every town... :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by miloshlavka » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:26 am

Faldaguy wrote: ↑Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:12 pm
Failed Fact Checks

President Obama secretly signaled solidarity to African leaders at the White House using a Muslim hand gesture known as the ‘Shahada.’ – FALSE
It must be false - because it's a nonsense in principle. "Shahada" isn't "a Muslim hand gesture", but the basic Muslim creed. :)

By this I conclude this my post - because in the rules we are instructed to avoid discussions about religion, unless they relate to the wearing skirts, etc., and I don't want to be the cause of the continuation of this flamewar. Let us return, please, to the original subject of this thread - influence of wearing masks (or muzzles, if we want to use this word :) ) on wearing skirts etc. - if we still have something to say on the topic. Thanks.
Milo,
I think you misunderstood the post. What was printed there was almost entirely the review from a media fact check organization about the publication "American Thinker" which another member had used as a reference to validate claims about wearing, or not wearing masks that did not seem credulous. This was not a flame war or anything about religion -- just a note that we need to be aware of our sources and their reliability for being factual.
I do agree that we are here to discuss and be supportive of MIS. The "off topic" segment seems to allow some latitude for discussion not directly related to MIS.
I strongly support the notion that personal attacks do not promote growth or unity in matters; yet differences of opinion can contribute to useful discussions when done respectfully.
miloshlavka
Distinguished Member

Post by miloshlavka »

Faldaguy wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:44 am
by miloshlavka » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:26 am

Faldaguy wrote: ↑Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:12 pm
Failed Fact Checks

President Obama secretly signaled solidarity to African leaders at the White House using a Muslim hand gesture known as the ‘Shahada.’ – FALSE
It must be false - because it's a nonsense in principle. "Shahada" isn't "a Muslim hand gesture", but the basic Muslim creed. :)

By this I conclude this my post - because in the rules we are instructed to avoid discussions about religion, unless ...
Milo,
I think you misunderstood the post. What was printed there was almost entirely the review from a media fact check organization about the publication "American Thinker" which another member had used as a reference to validate claims about wearing, or not wearing masks that did not seem credulous. This was not a flame war or anything about religion -- just a note that we need to be aware of our sources and their reliability for being factual.
I do agree that we are here to discuss and be supportive of MIS. The "off topic" segment seems to allow some latitude for discussion not directly related to MIS.
I strongly support the notion that personal attacks do not promote growth or unity in matters; yet differences of opinion can contribute to useful discussions when done respectfully.
Faldaguy,
maybe I guess I misspoke. This wasn't supposed to be an attack on you. I just wanted to note that the first quoted statement already testified to the "professionalism" of the quoted blog. If someone writes about the "shahada" (or even about something else) and does not know what it is, it necessarily seems to me to be an untrustworthy source. Further refuted or disputed claims of that blog (americanthinker.com) only confirm the impression obtained from the first one (that americanthinker.com is something similar - for example - to the Czech web aeronet.cz).

And my mention of religion was moslly my self-criticism for bringing this topic into the discussion. But the "shahada" is a religious term, so it was impossible to completely avoid it. Sorry once more.

Miloš
Everyone should be honest and prudent: to keep promises and, on principle, never to promise anything to anyone.
Sorry for my English. I try not to make spelling mistakes, but for this reason my writing is very slow.

Miloš H., Nový Knín, Central Bohemia
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Yes, let's move along: My mask is not big enough to hide my skirt! :D
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Faldaguy wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:48 am Yes, let's move along: My mask is not big enough to hide my skirt! :D
Hey... that gives me an idea... what about a skirt that is nothing but masks stitched together?? :alien:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Damn it the Brits best us to it again! :twisted:

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/ne ... 1228633423
-Andrea
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Oh yeah, a rip off. 375 quid for a tenna's worth of face masks and a couple of hours work.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

The "mask" skirt is actually no more of a rip-off than the man skirts that are on the market.
Going back to the original question, I have come to the conclusion that mask wearing in general will become the norm long before men in skirts is fully accepted.
The transmission rates of the new variant virus will almost certainly see to that.
Steve,
miloshlavka
Distinguished Member

Post by miloshlavka »

Faldaguy wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:48 am Yes, let's move along: My mask is not big enough to hide my skirt! :D
My one is also too small to hide my skirt. :D
Everyone should be honest and prudent: to keep promises and, on principle, never to promise anything to anyone.
Sorry for my English. I try not to make spelling mistakes, but for this reason my writing is very slow.

Miloš H., Nový Knín, Central Bohemia
ChrisJD

Post by ChrisJD »

Layne wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:56 am Hummmm

I’m not scared of this virus.

I do honestly believe that I’d survive exposure with only minimal discomfort.

I do recognize that it appears to be more contagious than most though and that many simply can’t survive it.

I don’t think I’d be OK knowing that I failed to do my part and sentenced another to their agonizing death, even if several times removed.

But that’s just me.

I’ve carried a weapon for this country, I can certainly wear a piece of cloth.
Well said, I’ve never varied a weapon but if wearing a mask protects one person then it’s no hardship for me, even if my glasses do get steamed up.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Well, it's lockdown time again and our store is forced to close except for click and collect. As a vulnerable person because of my diabetes I have been offered voluntary furlough. I will probably take it, not because I am concerned because I think we have good safety measures in place at work, but because MOH is worried, we have a more contagious strain headed towards us and there has been a 90% increase in York. So the risk is actually higher now than it was at any time during last year. I will lose financially but not as much as could be. My minimum contracted hours are 16, although I have been working up to 38 hours recently, so I will go onto minimum hours now. On furlough I will get 80% of the minimum so 12.8 hours. So do I get 13 hours and stay at home or 16 and go into work. For the extra 3 hours I don't think that the risk is worth it. I don't need the money so I think that the decision is a no-brainer and furlough it will be.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well, take care of yourself Sinned. No amount of money is worth more than your life.. We want you hanging around a while... I'd like to someday travel over there and shake your hand.
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:02 pmOn furlough I will get 80% of the minimum so 12.8 hours. So do I get 13 hours and stay at home or 16 and go into work. For the extra 3 hours I don't think that the risk is worth it. I don't need the money so I think that the decision is a no-brainer and furlough it will be.
I believe you're making a wise decision. As Moon says, no amount of money is worth your life, and you're more important to the planet alive than dead in these harrowing times.

Stay well, sir!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!