Does wearing a mask make it easier?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Andy_G

Does wearing a mask make it easier?

Post by Andy_G »

Curious in the view of the group - how does wearing a mask change being out in a skirt? Is the small cloak of anonymity an advantage?
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Does wearing a mask make it easier?

Post by denimini »

I think that it would work against us in that the less we can see of a person's face the more dehumanising it is. Think of someone in a black helmet with tinted visor. We want people to see a "person" wearing a skirt and be able to empathise, ackowledge or politely ignore.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

The mask makes it way harder. First is, because of the mask, the only part of my facial expressions you can see looks more like "angry man" than what I really am, that is more likely to smile or to look like I come from another world (I often have head in clouds) and I don't really like the idea of being "the angry skirted man" (not good for other men in skirt). Second, it hides a bit of a big specificity of males: beard and mustache. I know the beard still remains visible, but it makes its effect on me to make me way more shy to show up skirted when I need to wear that mask.

Note that anyway, it's too cold now for skirts, I'm looking forward for sunny days.

And about anonymity, I don't think it can even be an advantage at all. Men in skirt are rare enough to ensure anybody that will notice you AND your skirt will remember you. Except by going somewhere where nobody know you, or to change a lot of pieces of your look, you are not anonyme any longer. I had a similar experience with my Pikasquette. I stopped to wear it two years ago, and I still continue to be sometimes recognized by people as "Pikachu"... but I made my hair to grow (and cut them two months ago), often wear new clothes, have a new bag, new glasses, and the mask!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Double-edge sword for me. I have a bit more confidence because it anonymizes me (that is, I would not be recognized because of the large city I work/shop in).

However... I worry that losing the "male face" puts my gender up for question (even though I don't move like a woman and am not curvy). I also don't want to shock people if I have to answer them and they are expecting a female voice.

At the end of the day I've decided it's just "meh" to me, that I will use the mask to help me ease into wearing skirts in public, and will try not to worry about it (I'll still worry).
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Wearing a mask has just became as much a part of daily routine that it really makes no difference to me at all.
I can understand that for some guys that the added anonymity could be a bit of a confidence booster too.
However, unless you have a specifically shaped frame don't be over concerned about gender misidentification. That comes from a lot more than facial recognition.
In a wider social context, the mask is a necessary evil. Much of our communication is non-verbal and facial expression a significant factor.
Anything that hampers our interactions cannot be considered to be at all desirable.
Steve.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I figure that it might help for those who are building confidence still.
I remember it was a big step to openly wear a skirt when I started.
It gets easier.
I do think interactions are important - and dealing with other people openly has been a big part of my acceptance - and I haven't ever had any issues with my skirts/heels etc... and my style is rather flamboyant. (don't think I spelt that correctly and a bit too lazy to check it, Sorry.)

Probably ok for newbies to skirts if it helps get out there, but after some experience I think go proud and own your outfit!

Cheers
NZF
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Interesting. I never thought about it; nor did I relate it to my attire at all -- it was just one more item to remember (and I've walked back to the car more than once to grab that dang mask I keep forgetting)! I'll have to try to think about or get in tune with my inner self a bit to see if the mask has any impact. I do agree that the lack of being able to see facial expression is an impediment to "reading" people and I've discovered I counted more on subconscious lip-reading than I knew!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

A year ago we would not even have contemplated this thread.
The events of 2020 have been a unique experience for the whole race.
Wearing a mask is only the tiniest fraction of it and there may be more to come.
Steve
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

It is nice sometimes. It does give a sense of anonymity but people who know me still recognise me. Interestingly, when I am taking to friends it's still possible to see when they are smiling.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

To be honest, the connection of masks and skirt wearing never occurred to me, for me, it's just part of my ensemble when I go out and about, nothing more. I never worry about being anonymous and hiding behind a mask because I don't care who sees me, my only concern, and it's a dreadfully tiny one is that I can't display a smile to people who compliment me on my outfits, so I have to settle for a gracious nod instead.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
BobM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by BobM »

Andy_G wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:11 am Curious in the view of the group - how does wearing a mask change being out in a skirt? Is the small cloak of anonymity an advantage?
Have not, and will not ever, wear a useless muzzle.
Ordained Deacon and Ruling Elder, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.
Layne

Post by Layne »

Hummmm

I’m not scared of this virus.

I do honestly believe that I’d survive exposure with only minimal discomfort.

I do recognize that it appears to be more contagious than most though and that many simply can’t survive it.

I don’t think I’d be OK knowing that I failed to do my part and sentenced another to their agonizing death, even if several times removed.

But that’s just me.

I’ve carried a weapon for this country, I can certainly wear a piece of cloth.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by BobM » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:45 pm

Andy_G wrote: ↑Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:11 am
Curious in the view of the group - how does wearing a mask change being out in a skirt? Is the small cloak of anonymity an advantage?
Have not, and will not ever, wear a useless muzzle.
If you are so self-centered and inconsiderate, please at least stay home, alone.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

There seems to be a misunderstanding about the reason for wearing a mask: it is not to protect you, it is to protect the people you meet.  It does not filter out the virus particles, it slows down the air currents that would carry them to other people.

Faldaguy expressed it mildly and politely, I would say something much stronger.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I agree with faldaguy. I don't enjoy wearing a mask but I do and am not convinced of their effectiveness, especially when I see many not wearing them properly by not covering their nose. We have to do what we can even if it only contributes a small amount to safety of others, not yourself. But if you are going to be so selfish and self-centred then please don't venture outside your front door and if you do contract the virus then don't whinge to anyone here. BobM, do you belong to the Club evinced by the Darwin Principle and are you a Trump supporter?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.