Tomorrow I Fly

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Tomorrow I Fly

Post by Sinned »

Carl, r_k, we have all the usual canned and dry packeted goods - we don't store anything that we dislike or wouldn't prepare in a normal dietary week. Plenty of stuff like jams, peanut butter - high energy foods, beans, peas, soups. For a single person allowing cereal for breakfast and two other meals per day the quantities aren't that large. 360 meals for the 6 months sounds a lot and it's only when you scale up for a family with 3 or 4 children do the quantities become a bit awesome. Yes in a desperate situation we would cut down on meal sizes and we have a bit of enclosed garden that we could use for vegetables. So it's doable - it just means buying, say, 4 extra cans/packets/whatever each week and it soon mounts up.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Why would you stock up? I can’t see the sense in doing so.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Ray wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:34 pm Why would you stock up? I can’t see the sense in doing so.
You are probably too young to have been brought up in the aftermath of WWII: never waste anything, never buy anything you can make and always fill the kettle before going to bed at night (in case the water has been cut off by the morning).  Keeping a month's worth of tinned food in the cupboard under the stairs is just another part of that philosophy.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

You’re right. I’m not that old.

We probably carry about two to three weeks’ stock of basics. No more. That’s enough. We don’t panic buy. Ever. Mind you, I did splurge on cheap oil for our boiler in April. It was 40% of the 2019 price!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I am used to stocking up a bit, having a 400km round trip to go shopping.

Mike must have had a long weekend as we are getting through a fair bit of off topic on his thread while he is away.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Wartime rationing was just finishing at the time I was born and I lived in a very working class environment - think heavy steel [0] Rolling Mills, steam locomotive manufacturer, steel bridge makes and so on. So money was tight and luxuries hard won. So the tendency was to store when you had the funds and live off the store when you hadn't. Anyway, with the uncertainty of everything it's a comfort to know that if things went tits up you could last on what you had for a while. Remember that if the supply chain hit a brick wall the average supermarket would be stripped bare in hours, not days.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.