Friendliness

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Friendliness

Post by moonshadow »

For those of you who regularly venture out in a skirt, have you noticed people are generally more friendly and tolerant these days?

So far this year I don't think I've received ANY negativity from the public, most is neutral, (no reaction), a few compliments, but otherwise just generally friendly behavior...

Despite everything else that's going on, I am pleased to see this. Maybe people just have enough on their plate...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Friendliness

Post by denimini »

I believe that to be true.
In some locked down parts of Australia, people are pleased to see anyone new or different.
A catastrophy does bring out the best in people.
Perhaps the concern about what someone is wearing is somewhat diminished when confronted with life threatening issues.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

I've noticed the younger generation is more tolerant, and with the long awaited acceptance of LGBT and a change in social norms (I realize not everyone here wants to accept that umbrella), a man in a skirt is a non event. I may not do the "she/they" pronoun stuff, but people aren't so hostile anymore. Also, lockdowns may see the more unsavoury elements stuck at home to rant on the keyboard :mrgreen:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

I honestly haven't noticed, but then it's dang rare that I've ever heard something negative about my skirt, hose, or heels. Usually compliments from women. Men typically don't give two craps about what other men are wearing.
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I agree.

I've almost never had any negative reactions anyway. I have noticed that people are acknowledging others more now, because at least around here, most people are very conscious of how close they get to others and most try to stick to the 6 foot rule, even outside. Quite a few go to quite obvious lengths to stay as far away as possible.

Because of that, I have observed what i think is greater recognition of my skirts. People are much more aware of where people are, they pay attention to others, because those others are now more than obstacles to maneuver around, they are a potential issue. When they do so, they actually look at you and assess you. I think most people are trying to be civil, it's impolite to actually look at someone without giving some kind of recognition. Just think about how you would react to a blank stare. I still haven't seen any particularly negative responses, but I have registered a few confused looks, not usually stares, but definitely a WTF? or two.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

I haven't noticed much change. But, that said, most people tended to accept it.
Last edited by Kilted_John on Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

:sunny: :lol:
Kilted_John wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:24 pm I haven't noticed much change. But, that said, most people tended to accept it. Also, with people maskurbating everywhere, it's not like you can tell their facial expressions, except if they're frowning.
I love the new term!!
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Haha very good word, I will share it with colleagues and friend! :lol:

About initial topic, I can't have any opinion, I didn't wore skirt outside before covid
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

As for the mask, I would imagine the type of people to give me dirty looks would be the same people who refuse to wear masks.

That being said, you can still read people's eyes in many cases, as well as other body language.

Even so among the anti-maskers, still it seems nobody is really bothered...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:37 pm As for the mask, I would imagine the type of people to give me dirty looks would be the same people who refuse to wear masks.

That being said, you can still read people's eyes in many cases, as well as other body language.

Even so among the anti-maskers, still it seems nobody is really bothered...
I would beg to differ on that. After all, I'm one of the people you just stereotyped. I have a health condition that doesn't allow me to wear one except for short periods of time. Wind up being extremely fatigued when I wear something that covers my nose/mouth area.

Am I likely to give you a dirty look? Nope. But, am I going to be walking outdoors with people 6 feet or farther away from me with a wokemask over my face? Again, nope. If I'm at a store or business that requires one, I will wear one. At the same time, I won't be going into businesses where I will have to walk long distances with something over my face. Last time I visited a Costco was in early March. I also know that most facial coverings won't prevent people from getting sick. So, when/if I wind up going into a clinic or when I go to get my body sugared, I wear a N95 respirator mask. The bare minimum that will provide any protection.
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

One could conclude that everyone that gives dirty looks are not wearing a mask.
But not everyone without a mask gives a dirty look.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
tnwheels

Post by tnwheels »

I have noticed the same. When I am out skirted or kilted people seem to be nicer for the most part in my opinion. I always felt that but since the mask wearing started it even seems more so. Maybe I generally don’t have a pleasant look on my face and now that it’s covered people are more receptive or maybe I am more receptive of them since they are covered.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

tnwheels wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:29 am I have noticed the same. When I am out skirted or kilted people seem to be nicer for the most part in my opinion. I always felt that but since the mask wearing started it even seems more so. Maybe I generally don’t have a pleasant look on my face and now that it’s covered people are more receptive or maybe I am more receptive of them since they are covered.
It's quite a surprise when you notice people treating you differently because of a change in your appearance.  From my childhood to my mid-20s I wore spectacles, then a friend persuaded me to change to contact lenses.  She mentioned that I would notice a difference in the way people treated me; she couldn't predict what that difference would be, but it was up to me to watch out for it.

I really didn't believe her, but after a few weeks it dawned on me that whereas my opinion during discussions had previously been dismissed, people were now taking me seriously and I didn't have to keep fighting my corner any more.  Since then, I have changed my appearance several times and each time I have noticed similar, apparently illogical, changes in the way people react to me.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
K_Highlander

Post by K_Highlander »

Was shopping at Joanne's Fabric store today, and the clerk commented "That's a cute skirt". I replied Thank you.
One of very few comments I have received
Ken
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I think people are more understanding/ patient perhaps nowadays - although not really much more so than 5 years ago. Thats based on here in NZ anyway. I have been wearing skirts/dresses everyday for almost 10 years.
I get a lot of compliments - everyday pretty much - from polite ones to cheeky ones. I think it is about 'owning my look' and self confidence and when you look people in the eye and walk tall and confident ( high heels help me be tall - ha ha - actually I do need a bit of a height boost ) - well then people can see that you are just that... and I don't get picked on etc... nothing I haven't been able to handle anyway over the last decade or more

oh - and I go all over the place from cities to the outback countryside where things are in a timewarp and things are much much more conservative and unevolved for lack of a better way of describing it. Once again self confidence is my protection - I have found no issues and I believe it is this attitude I have that works for me.

But back to the primary question - I think yes it is a little better in recent years - but perhaps here in NZ we are a more accepting society anyway.

Cheers
NZF